European roots

How lucky was I being brought up on fairy stories.
What could be more charming than the characters at the Mad Hatters
tea party or the the romance of Cinderella.
Harry Potter well not for me…
But at least it has been a success story changing the life of the
author leading her away from depression.

Do you really believe this nonsense?

Come on David, does it matter that Helen thinks differently to you and most other people on planet earth?:wink:

1 Like

Tim you are getting your troops together again.
We are all allowed to have our own ideas…are we not.
Life would be boring if we all had the same thoughts;
You are winking again …you must have something in your eye.

I’m teasing as well you know which is better than some of the digs Helen has received, more to the point she also finds it amusing.

After today I won’t be posting for a few weeks so you’ll have to have a pop at someone else.

3 Likes

I hope that she is not offended.

It is easy to be offended when people “dig” at you.
I know about teasing.
If I counted every time someone had a dig at me I would probably commit
suicide. So I do not stop to count because I plan to live a little longer.

But I do feel that we all have different views and even if you or someone else
thinks that they are wrong they should be respected.

Hope you are going off to enjoy a holiday somewhere warm @tim17 Timothy…:hugs: (well away from fairies/pixies and bats from hell) :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed: (to misquote Meatloaf)

Ah so you like heavy metal Stella?

There is a lot of evil and cruelty hidden within Fairy Stories and other traditional tales. They are far from the sweetness and light that Disney sells. Nursery Rhymes too. Atishoo Atishoo we all fall down!
Enjoy your visit to Trumpton Tim. Now that’s a harmless series of stories.

Had to be done… :hugs:

Not sure what all that means exactly.
But there is for sure some sweetness and gentle story lines in
fairy stories.
I am sure that we can find something rather different if we all
look hard enough.
But I prefer not to.

The UK first then to sunny Florida followed by the UK again for a few days assuming of course the weather doesn’t intervene.

Meatloaf would be offended if he was lumped in with Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.

Loved Trumpton and Camberwick Green, as for hidden meanings you can’t beat the myths surrounding Captain Pugwash.

3 Likes

It doesn’t mean anything Barbara, it’s a fact. The line from the well known playground game actually has its roots in the Black Death, the pocket full of posies being the ‘medication’ to ward off the danger but in the end atishoo, atishoo you’d catch it and fall down dead.

Rock, Heavy Metal …Meat Loaf or Guns and Roses…not my cup of tea.
Led Zep on the other hand were on the Stairway to Heaven.

I was referring to fairy tales in general…they are not dark and miserable they
are a lovely way for kids to enjoy harmless fantasy.

Sorry Barbara, you have missed the point. No worry, you are happy with the Disney versions, the fact is the original tales were not so cosy. Evil relatives, poison, dangerous people in the woods, lying, stealing, murder, child abuse, they are all there under the surface.
Meatloaf, what a voice! Can’t argue with Stairway to Heaven, hearing it live in Earls Court on May 31st 1975 was one of life’s highpoints.

2 Likes

Yes probably have missed your point.
Yes, perhaps happy with Disney.
Happy musical memories of the wealth of great music
of Led Zep and the amazing bands of that period.

Didn’t see you there David, must have gone on a different night…:guitar:

He was wearing a loose shirt with a melange of pastel floral.
His hair was long and a little wild as it tossed with excitement keeping
time with the music.

3 Likes

I couldn’t even see my friends.

No Tim I don’t suppose it does in the individual case but in general I do object to people like Sitchin and Velikovsky poisoning the well of knowledge. In the case of the Temple Mount instead of conjuring up aliens able to shift vast blocks perhaps Sitchin might have searched for real evidence of jointing between “blocks” It may well be that the Temple was originally monolithic and carved out of solid rock not unlike the buildings of Petra carved by the Nabateans who were incidentally masterful rainwater conservation. Any “joints” if found might turn out to be merely a decorative conceit of the masons. Monolithic churches are not that uncommon in Europe there are two within fifty miles of me here in France and both carved out of a similar limestone formation to that in Jerusalem. People like Sitchin are symptomatic of the same sort of unscientific thinking which can now be seen in the US where a belief that the Earth is flat seems to be growing in adherents. Many of whom seem to believe us to be ruled by shape shifting lizards.