EV - buy or wait?

It’s not that straight forward, as not all electricity users are car owners. There’s talk of road &/or time & distance pricing, but those bring fear of surveillance to the fore.

1 Like

No worse than your phone sending your every move back to Google. People are getting very desensitized to this sort of thing.

Or the car’s software could calculate the overall amount without revealing location data.

Like living in a sci-fi film

Indeed - the problem is that the one we’re in at the moment is “Brazil”.

Hahaha

Tax is very straightforward.
The UK government has decided that by 2030 if you want a new car then it must be electric, if that’s not big brother deciding what you can and cannot do then what is?
There are many ways to tax the electricity used by EV’sand rest assured it will happen.
Thinking of the charging then what about a street full of houses where all vehicles have to park on the road, hopefully outside their house. There is a footpath then perhaps a small garden frontage and then the house, not an uncommon scenario.
Lots of cables strung from car to house and what’s stopping someone "borrowing " a socket from a nearby car and plugging in to theirs?
You might say don’t be daft but how in earth can a working infrastructure be set up by 2030 to support all these silent cars.
Another point, just this last week my wife and I were walking along a pedestrian area when we heard a bell. As it happens it was about 12 noon and we assumed it was a nearby church bell ringing. We continued to amble along until a passer by alerted us to an electric van used to empty the street bins that had been following us for some time, totally silent other than the bell. Electric vehicles should make a noise.
The town was Bayonne, a love place to visit.

1 Like

Well, it clearly did, it had a bell, as you said.
Anyway, low speed noise is becoming mandatory, so that’s one less thing for you to stress about.

A bell doesn’t correlate with the approach of a vehicle in my book.
I can assure you that stress is not something that I do any more. When I was younger then yes, I stressed about lots of things, not least what the future might hold. My future has arrived with the here and now and the golden years of life which hopefully will last for a good while yet. Long enough to buy a new diesel powered car before 2030 which should then last long enough to see me out.

1 Like

They dont all have a bell, what of a silent pushbike, should it have a bell?

Yes your diesel will see you out maybe some others around you with respiratory disease and pneumonia no doubt.
I cant wait to get rid of mine, no more smelly hands at the fuel station.
It would have gone by now but for covid and job loss.

Do you go by the name of Jack? In that you’ll be alright…

I take it that you are now not bothered about the future of those younger than you then?

You need to walk a mile in my shoes and not judge a book by its cover.

1 Like

Yes I’ll do that cos I will have your shoes and know you’re a mile from me😂

Just a side comment, the smallest electric motor used on a std swimming pool is 3/4hp and depending on the plumbing this will use around 750watts. Over a season this equates to around 314kg of CO2.

My way of engineering the hydraulic circuit plumbing I use 65watts, over the same season this equates to 32kg of CO2 so far better and better quality water with big electrical savings. Multiply that by the number pf private pools in France and it is a colossal amount of CO2.

Just read that from next year French supermarkets will be required to have a charging point for every 20 parking spaces…. That should help achieve the target.

Be interesting to see what they will charge, pun intended😉

2 Likes

Well according to the Road traffic act it should be fitted with a warning device to warn other road users and pedestrians.

But then you already know this dont you

Or perhaps someone walking in front waving a red flag!

2 Likes

Slight diversion……am totally baffled about what wheels and winter tyres to get for Little Evie, our VW ID.3 Pro.

Have looked at stuff online…basically can I buy any old 18” wheels or do they have to be special in any way? What is all this about bolt positions? And do the tyres have to be special low resistance ones?

All advice gratefully received.

The hole positions are not all the same and therefore you will need rims (wheels) specicific to your vehicle, these may well be the same as other VW source vehicles but this would need checking. Its usually expressed as no of studs or holes arranged on a certain size PCD (pitch circle diameter) simply the position across the diameter.
Snow tyres (with the logo) are not usually low resistance tyres and the rubber compound is softer at low temperatures and more block tread to allow clearance the snow. Due to the instantly available torque of an EV they are made a little stronger so check the owners manual.

1 Like

PCD is 112 and the offset is 44 mm. Your best bet is too go to the VW dealers you bought the car from and get them to sort you out with wheels and tyres for your car. Expect a price tag of around 1k for 4 complete wheels and tyres.