EV - buy or wait?

Standard VW rims then.
Le bon coin/facebook
No difference to snow tyres for ICE cars or EV’s according to motoring journalists.

Would there be a secondary market with good choices for these in DE? I would have thought so, like most VW stuff. IIRC at this time of year, long ago saw supermarkets, the car maintenance / tyre places in Germany running offers on winter gear particularly if it was a full set.

As you speak German could be worth a Google?

2 Likes

Karen who was this directed to/

Actually no. VW rims range from 33 - 51 mm offset, 4 bolt rims generally have 100 pcd and the 5 hole ones, 112mm. The Offset depends on the diameter and the width of the rim.

Like I said, it would be wiser and safer to go to the VW dealer.

See if you can buy identical wheels 2nd hand - you then know there will be no fitment issues.

Probably me and my quest for tyres…Which is driving me nuts as I really don’t want to pay VW prices, but do want good tyres as my life is worth more to me than savings on cheap wheels and tyres

(How I wish OH was even faintly interested in cars……)

What a sensible person :rofl: :rofl:

Yes I had somehow got the impression you speak German Jane.

I am sure some googling around German sites (ideally but not necessarily with a German vpn) would yield excellent prices. I’d start with the big supermarket chains and look for those with a motor section, or motor oriented supermarket type chains similar to Halfords. Then/MoT or specific service and tyre places that should have offers for winter Felgen (I think that’s the word), stand-up tyre stands for the set being swapped out to put in your garage (even Lidl and, I think, Tchibo have sold those from time to time) snow chains etc. Opel and VW must have a big choice of compatible replacement tyres and wheels in Germany. The market is huge so it won’t be left just for VW and Opel to supply.

I will take a bet much of it is made in Poland or even further East so could be worth researching in those markets too. Courier costs for things like building bits can be surprisingly cheap within the EU given the bulk of things so I suspect could still work out a lot cheaper.

I have always used this company for Cars and motorcycles in the past. Good prices and fast service too. Had tyres delivered to Germany, Switzerland and Ireland.

https://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=100&cart_id=5kbJoXueQctt9euM.100.1410487029&s_p=index

1 Like

On Beeb Radio 4 they had someone on from Octopus Energy talking about leasing EVs. A number of energy suppliers here are doing this. The man from Octopus said that for people not able to charge from home they could provide a card which ties up with your home leccy account.

2 Likes

I was wondering if EV owners are spending more on tyres with the vehicles being quite a lot heavier. AFAIK EV owners need tyres rated for the extra weight.

It’s not just the weight - the massive amounts of torque available is also a very heavy load on tyres.

But at what price per kWh? Presumably this is just a convenience of billing thing, not a cheaper way to charge.

Just buying winter tyres for Little Evie and seem similar price. Tyres should last longer because I hardly ever need to brake.

Doesn’t work like that - regeneration is still effectively braking, the difference is that the energy goes back into the battery rather than uselessly heating up the brake pads and discs - the tyres have to handle the forces generated regardless.

1 Like

I bow to your greater knowledge, but it does feel massively more gentle. With Little Evie I drive in a zen like way.

2 Likes

Can you set the amount of regeneration that you get? For pretty much all the vehicles I’m thinking about you can choose how much regeneration slows the car from virtually full braking to very gentle, as you say.

I suppose the acid test is how far the tyres go before they need to be replaced.

On a more general level I’m definitely settling on “wait”, at least for the moment - the CO2 premium for building an EV has been quite a bit of food for thought.

When I was driving in France I had the impression that with all the speed limit changes my, brake pads would wear more quickly than in the UK. I normally don’t use the brakes very much at home, losing speed changing down through the gears.

1 Like

I used to do this all the time - even driving an auto, I’d manually change down.

However I stopped doing this because I was told that its puts more strain on the engine.

Any thoughts on this?

Just drive normally, brake when you need to. Seems a bit pointless not to brake to save a few quid making brake pads last a bit longer

Most of the time I accelerate and decelerate gently so I can’t see any problems.