EV - buy or wait?

Can’t vouch for that but definitely more strain on the environment, unlike EV’s

VW launch the ID5 which is pretty much an ID4 but not the SUV shaped body but a sloped back hatchback.

Using engine braking used to be considered good, evening up wear. It was probably an urban myth, but it can’t cause any more strain on the engine than accelerating firmly.

1 Like

Engine braking has been advocated on an off over the years but its effectiveness as a technique depends on why you are doing it and in what vehicle.

Down a steep hill probably still has merit but not as much as when cars had drum brakes which suffered badly from fade as they heated up. Depends on model, of course, as cars at the lower end of the price scale might still have drums on the rear (does any modern car still have drums all round?)

It was also taught as a braking strategy in slippery conditions as it was “gentler” and less likely to brake traction - in modern vehicles that might be true but it is much more likely just to defeat your ABS.

Making tyre wear more even - hmmm, not sure about that one unless you are in a 4WD vehicle, otherwise surely it just puts braking effort on the driven wheels rather than all 4.

It is probably worth it as a fuel economy measure - obviously EVs will switch to regeneration but even petrol or diesel vehicles will be able to reduce fuel injected into the cylinder - how many do so I’m not clear though.

Very few cars have drum brakes these days, but I did have a Citroen BX that used to suffer brake fade to and ‘exciting’ degree as it fried the discs when traversing the multiple roundabouts of Milton Keynes. :slight_smile: Engine braking probably saved things becoming a lot less fun.

I think the last car I can remember that had drum brakes all round was the Fiat 126 BIS which stopped selling in 1991, quite a few cars still have drums on the back, disc brakes on most light cars are a marketing exercise as cars are light enough and due to weight transfer onto the front discs do not use there rear brakes anywhere near as much as the fronts, the problem of drums heating up when used does not happen on the rear.
EV’s could lead to a resurgence of drum brakes on cars.

1 Like

Daily Express: Brexit Britain win as Sunak handed keys to £2.5BN lithium market – ‘record’ deposits found.

SFA to do with Brexit I suspect.

It’s got to be extracted to be worth anything.

And even if it IS worth £2.5BN, that’s only 0.067 test and trace programmes.

1 Like

But the reduction in carbon footprint, it’s not all doom and gloom. But yes if you take 37 billion of our money everything afterwards looks bad

My pal drives up and down from Cherbourg to Nice in his Tesla 3 all the time. No problems.

1 Like

My advice to Cornwall is secede now and don’t make the mistake Scotland did with their oil.

1 Like

What reduction of the carbon footprint?

OK, provocative, but if you have to drive your EV 100k miles to break even and wreck the planet getting the lithium, cobalt and other metals out of the Earth’s crust maybe they are not as green as they arepainted?

1 Like

…because, in comparison, the oil & gas extraction industries do no damage at all & refining only produces a light covering of fairy dust :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Of course not. But perhaps the focus should be on reducing the need for, and use of, private vehicles; whatever fuel they use

1 Like

Until I find someone who breaks down the data we’ll have to assume as you have that the battery and shipping of the chems is responsible for the big CO2 numbers shown. If you extract locally and build locally that figure will drop dramatically.
Cobalt has been extracted for a long time since they removed the sulphur from fuels as that is the main market for it but no one from the fossils fuels ever mentioned it. Cobalt is like most things fossil, used only once, at least the minimal amounts in batteries can be rcovered at the end of there 2 or 3 life. Battery home and industry power after vehicle use.

The report says battery and steel are the biggest CO2 but there is a lot more steel, cast iron etc in a fossil car.
Greely who own Volvo, Polestar may as a chinese company be using coal as energy? I will wait for more information.

We also have inept government who say one thing and do another. How, why do these assholes exist, they just generate CO2 so we should do away with them.

iNews: Electric car charger plans delayed by Government amid criticism over lack of vision and targets.

Just got back from the shops in my now 70,000 miles more than the breakeven point of an EV in my poluting diesel.

Just making a small point as EV’s circa 500,000 miles life span.

Polluting or pouting.? Corona you never cease to amaze me and i am sure others about your obsession over electric cars and all their “positives” and then you go and make a small point about you drive a “DIESEL” :smiley:

1 Like

Yes as I said on here before, it would have been replaced by an e niro a while back but corona and redundancy put a temporary stop to that idea. I have owned my diesel since before dieselgate.
Would love to say good bye to it, the oily diesel hands at the pump and the fumes in traffic.

Just an update, The Chinese Tesla giga factory has been fitting model 3’s with BYD’s blade batteries, these LFP (lithium iron phosphate) cells are much safer as they dont catch fire. Have a slightly higher charge density and longer life span (3000 charge cycles) giving an estimated 1.2 million miles of motoring.
Oh and cobalt free.
Should be coming to Europe in Tesla’s and BYD’s models soon.

1 Like