EV - buy or wait?

Yes, LiFePO4 is being touted as advantageous for EVs - so far it has mainly been considered as a lead acid replacement.

It’s main advantage, as you say, is thermal stability and the higher number of charge cycles endured is also attractive.

They actually have *lower* energy density than LiCoO2 batteries though.

Also, given that the technology has been around since 1996 it underlines the fact that there is a lot of work (and time) is needed between the technology announcement and practical application in vehicle batteries.

Yes aware of that, maybe the BYD have some proprietary tech inside as these latest are recorded as higher. Tesla stating a 4% range increase with BYD blade batteries.

We watch and see.

Assuming the battery delivers the same kWh it will have the same range - perhaps the extra 4% comes from a slight capacity increase for the battery as a whole or the flatter discharge curve allows slightly greater range for a given capacity.

Yes could be any number of slight changes.
The data is the current CATL round cells have 124wh/kg the BYD blade batteries 150wh/kg.

I think it’s not due to any breakthrough technology wise, it’s just that much less thermal control is needed, and the batteries can be more densely packed because of this. Interestingly, I also believe many of the patents for these type of battery expired this year.

1 Like

Not sure about that as the BYD blade was only released in 2020 suggesting it has years left.

https://medium.com/batterybits/a-sharp-contender-byds-blade-battery-ced2ef1dc8f8

I meant the patents on LiFePO4. Looking it up it seems some of them will expire next year.

1 Like

Ah ok, don’t see that having much impact as companies have already stepped away from the original designs and therefore out of the scope of old patents. All for the good as opening up can only really benefit the market IMO.

But the Japanese and the Chinese will be waiting to buy them up when they do expire, like in the late 60’s and 70’s with the british motorcycle industry, Yamaha and Honda bought up most of the patents and changed a few bells and whistles and were praised for their “inventions” aka 5 valve cylinder heads and Sleeve valve induction systems. So I evisage they will do the same with battery technology.

To go outside of a patent you only need to change something a little. Trevor Baylis was a prime example, he patented his wind up radio and a company had one of their technicians change a small part and Trevor never made any money for his invention.

The designs of the various cells gets altered slightly the chemistry gets refind (the removal of cobalt is recent) and a new patent gets applied for.
The Chinese have actually invented better batteries and will continue to do so.

The arrogance of the owners of the British motorcycle industry only had themselves to blame for their failures. They failed to understand the market changes and performance can be gained by high rpm. Also people didnt want to go out for the evening knowing they needed a tool kit and the numerous oil leaks ruining their clothes. The failure of the British motorcycle industry to adapt lowered the value of the companies allowing them to be bought for peanuts.

Harley’s answer to oil leaks was to ship drip trays for bikes in their dealers showrooms.

2 Likes

A big part of the issue with British bikes was that they simply weren’t reliable, and even though they lacked a little power compared to Japanese machines of the time, they were often lighter and handled much better. I had a variety of bikes in the 70s and 80s, and if the Brits hadn’t been fragile then I’d definitely have preferred those overall.

A key part of the problem was arrogance, believing that no-one could make a better machine, and not supplying what the customer wanted. Triumph did go some of the way with the Vetter-styled Trident/Hurricane, but that was too late. It’s now curious to see machines like the Royal Enfield Interceptor getting glowing reviews as a new bike - one of my friends used to ride an original.

The British motorcycle industry’s main problem was that they built the models that they thought British bikers should buy and didn’t bother to ask them what they wanted.

2 Likes

Interesting article:

1 Like

Yawn! Heard it all before, not only do Tesla not use Congolese cobalt, they are not using cobalt at all in the latest versions and prior only 1%, a little more before that. Most vehicle manufacturers would not want to be known for encouraging slave labour either so shop elswhere. What people didnt realise is prior to EV’s the petrochemical world use cobalt (once) as a catalyst to remove sulphur from fuels. They are the biggest consumer of cobalt but no body cared about that. See how your mind has been taken over by media hype?

“and other industrial mines through a number of refiners and battery makers to some of the world’s leading electric car manufacturers, including Tesla, VW, Volvo, Renault and Mercedes-Benz”.

And others being the key, because sorry to spoil the story the others are where the manufacturers get it from.

Can i take it that you have the non use of cobalt by Tesla from the horse mouth, ie Mr Musk !

With the anouncement from his own lips quite a while back. The topic is toxic and it would be very bad to go there for any manufacturers. Obviously someone is buying it but lazy out of date journalism won’t cut it.
I wonder who’s paying for the article? As the legacy manufacturers come under pressure they will try to kick off any topic to discredit the competition.

Ever heard a release of any kind from Exxon Mobil, Shell, BP, Total etc saying they don’t buy from the same?

Interesting the head of VW went on Tesla factory tour, came back and told the board we are screwed if we dont gear up to take on Tesla, this from a man who said Tesla would last 5-10 years. So long Ford General motors and Toyata, it was nice knowing you.

As opposed to hype from Musk?

Extracted from the Guardian’s article:
"The Guardian has tracked the cobalt supply chain from TFM and other industrial mines through a number of refiners and battery makers to some of the world’s leading electric car manufacturers, including Tesla, VW, Volvo, Renault and Mercedes-Benz .

While the cobalt supply chain is highly complex, all these car manufacturers identified by the Guardian can be linked to one or more of the industrial mines named by the Guardian through a small number of key refineries and battery makers."

Rather than lazy out of date journalism as you described it, the article appears to result from some fine investigative journalism.

I for one are unconvinced of the so called benefits of EV.
During the life of an EV, what are the costs of replacing and disposing of the batteries?

Where is the electricity coming from that will be required to recharge EVs?

Not to mention the massive costs of building enough rechargeable facilities to ensure that EVs are practical if adopted en masse?

BTW I’ve decided to do my bit for the environment by trading up to a Mercedes E500 rather than an E63 AMG!

1 Like

There’s too much to answer there. If you delve amongst the many videos & podcasts available from The Fully Charged Show you will find answers to all your questions.

Thanks for the link - I’ll have a look.