EV - buy or wait?

Aside from early Leaf’s that hasnt so far panned out, maybe once the market is saturated but not yet.

Do you mean the depreciation?

Whilst that is true, the vast majority of charging would be at home, apart frim commercial drivers there are very few long journeys, I myself 2-3 runs to France each year. UK 130mile trips 5 times a year?

It’s interesting isn’t it Billy? My theory about a competitive market for compatible batteries doesn’t work if commodity prices for what goes into a battery keep a high floor on its price. If commodity prices work then I’m hoping vehicle life could be much extended.

But then if we are going to see continued high commodity prices for battery components in particular then doesn’t that mean EV’s for most people just aren’t going to be as accessible as governments need to make them given govermments are persecuting thermal vehicles now?

“ It would be uncharitable to speculate that the outsourcing to such places as China, of vehicle and parts manufacturing by USA and Europe could have enabled Asian manufacturers to use the IP they gained access to, to leapfrog steps they might have taken many more years to achieve.”

That’s exactly the case apart from the times when Chinese products have been direct copies of Western ones with their own branding on.

Old co-worker of mine, when asking for details of Chinese company’s router/switch installed in the network he was managing, was told “Google the manual for Cisco model XXX, it’s exactly the same.”

Also, forget anything from China actually meeting European safety standards unless it’s made in China of behalf of someone else who enforces European/Global safety standards.

Not under the current formula but thats why they are switching to LFP chemistry, more charging cycles, safer, cheaper, quicker recharging due to less critical thermal management.
Then we have the other emerging chemistries, a few years off but at rhe current speed of progress may be quicker than expected.

Hmm, Renault Zoe, nil points in the euro ncap test, built where?
Caveat emptor

One of my colleagues bought an early Zoe. Regardless of the functional issues of an electric car, he described it as the worst built car he’d ever seen. That was coming from someone whose family car was a Vauxhall Astra.

2 Likes

I suspect the wandering chassis and poor delivered tyres of the Dacia Spring may have taken over that title.

Autocar: Stellantis axes combustion MPVs for UK-built EV variants.

They better sort out the £7k + price difference or customers will walk.

1 Like

Perhaps, but it really was horrible with bits falling off or corroding, and all made as light as possible so flexi and bendy.

Recharge: French city cancels purchase of 51 hydrogen buses after realising electric ones would be six times cheaper to run | Recharge.
https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-transition/french-city-cancels-purchase-of-51-hydrogen-buses-after-realising-electric-ones-would-be-six-times-cheaper-to-run/2-1-1143717

Nice to see it’s from an unbiased source :laughing:

2 Likes

Unless the facts are false, take it as good.

I don’t think hydrogen is a dead end that you keep making out :yum: your ever so slightly EV bias.

1 Like

Of course not it will have its place but there is some serious BS out there paid for by the very intetested parties so just like oil Co’s they can hold the prices in their hands.
Inescapable fact is it takes 5x the electricity to make it so you could just power 5 cars.
Charging from home is not possible with hydrogen.
Plenty of examples of people charging mainly from their own solar.

1 Like

This is Money: Pump to plug: Shell converts London fuel station into EV charging hub.

There will be plenty more of these.
Still watching several battery chemistries on the up.

There is very serious BS on both sides and the rose tinted glasses need to be taken off with regards to EV’s, what about the cost for a practical (note I said practical) charging system in every city, the extra cost for all the extra power stations and solar/ wind farms and battery factories, it’s not going to be cheap and isn’t going to happen in the next 10-15 years without serious money from the governments and you know that isn’t going to come freely.
EV’s are not the total solution and never will be as they bring their own problems with them, it will be interesting to see how Japan goes with hydrogen.

At the moment there will be enough capacity available to keep Britain’s lights on," Fintan Slye, executive director of ESO, said in a statement with the Winter Outlook 2021/22 report.
The latest forecast, however, is lower than a winter margin forecast of 4.3 GW made in July this year and also the lowest margin level since the winter of 2016/17.

Chuck in all these millions of cars/busses/lorries needing charged and a really cold winter and unless there is a serious investment in power production in the UK, there is going to be a problem in the not too distant future.

3 Likes

If the grid supposedly collapses from EV’s how or where does 5x the power come from to make hydrogen?

The future is almoat certainly via different chemistries much lower cost.

The number of people requiring regular public charging wont be that high and vehicle to grid happens elswhere in the world so will come. In my road most cars sit there for days on end. Two friends only charge about 10-14 days on the normal routine.