EV - buy or wait?

InsideEVs : Tesla Model S Early Adopter Has Now Traveled Over 1 Million Miles.

My nephew drove from Dieppe to us , Excideuil (24) in his Zoe , ev, and it took him 15 hours, combination of public chargers either occupied or not working and his prepaid card not recognised. The same day it took us 8 hours by the same route.
He likes the Zoe for his daily commute and his employer in the UK provides charging points at cost. He gets a maximum 200km when fully charged.

1 Like

if you could stretch you’d get 10k off a 19k Spring (new)

I’ll buy one when the government pay the difference between a new Duster and an EV with the same range, towing capacity and ground clearance.

You are absolutely right.
Just looking at a new EV but it will have to wait as its £76,000

Or go for the hybrid compromise - if I fill mine up and charge it the range is over 1,200 km (750 miles).

My, someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning, didn’t they?

1 Like

Can the base model be had for under €15,000?

Not me but its such a lame thing to say.

Likewise, though the I4 in the config I’d like is “only” £70k

My next car I think will have to be one with an infernal combustion engine, I’m hoping it will last beyond the point it is impossible to buy another one and Corona will have been proven right about the up and coming battery technologies.

1 Like

Why? Because the EV I described doesn’t exist?

Apparently range anxiety is caused by an excess of testosterone, and you really wouldn’t care if you didn’t have something to prove. I think that summed what you said, @Corona ?

:wink:

1 Like

It is true, women are less prone to making the same comment.

This is a question you have to research yourself, because subsidy levels vary in different countries and even different regions, and according to many other factors such as age and type of trade-in, your income. etc.
And of course the ‘pay-back’ time (from reduced running costs) also varies with lots of factors. In the example of a friend of mine living in the UK - quoted earlier in this thread - he would recover the additional outlay in about a year - from then on he’s saving every day.
And then there’s the question of how long fossil fuel cars will maintain reasonable second-hand values…

At risk of sounding sexist, I wonder if fewer women anticipate long drives, or undertake them as the driver? I know a couple who would, but most I know expect their husbands/partners to do the driving.

One of the issues facing ladies is stationary at a charging station for 30-60mins as so.e are not well lit and out of the way.

I was at a Bricodepot (Montlucon) today, part of their car park now has charging points, none of which were being used and no mention of cost…anywhere

I’ve proved my point that there isn’t an EV that can match my Dacia at a price that regular working stiffs can afford.

The EVanglists are getting personal because they know they don’t have a counter argument.

Not yet its true as the Dacia is a really cheap utility vehicle, you can make the same point about any newer tech, costs fall after the early adoption.
howerver the recharging part is a lame argument when applied to the real world journeys taken by most car owners. 250 mile journeys are pretty occasional the 1 or 2 times per year 400-500 mile trips will include stops for food, drink and comfort facilities despite denials. The main journeys 70-100 miles per week. Virtually all charged from home at a fraction of the cost of fossil fuels.

Brilliant!

1 Like