EV - buy or wait?

Because we know that baiting or insulting people is such an effective way of winning them round to your point of view. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Passing a comment is not being personal, unless you are generation z.
I agree on the cost and that is the main reason for any objection, the others are just opinion.

Your comments seemed pretty insulting first time round - maybe your intent was otherwise, but that’s how they came over.

Boys! Please pack it in now and stay polite.

Am helping a friend move today and up to my ears in pool installers too so any more personal comments are going to lead to a suspension.

And yeah, it may not be a fair one either but I haven’t got the mental bandwidth to thread trawl and decide who said what to who….

Signed : The Playground Monitor

2 Likes

Suppose that depends on your point of view or from a lack of historical comments made by people who support ICE engines. Those of us who follow EV and other green technologies have heard these comments for ages so yes we probably do have a big sigh and “oh here we go again” the fuel tank on your car allows most to travel 500 miles but realistically how often do we really do this? Batteries are expensive, buying an EV to suit more regular travel makes sense and taking breaks on long journeys is good it improves concenttation or governments wouldnt waste time putting up notices reminding people.

Fred flintstone coupe with a years free trainers !

1 Like

The anxiety comes at least partially not from the regular or planned, but from the un-planned. Like getting away late to catch a ferry or reach an airport - the kind of situation where a couple of 45min stops will guarantee failure. Or perhaps traveling the length of the country to see a dying relative. It’s not the 12 miles to work, but the occasional big unknowns for most ordinary people.

This is why anxiety is real. You can’t hire an IC car in advance for the un-planned.

1 Like

Folowing EV and other Green technologies is one thing, unfortunately there some if not many that have become obsessed with it. The “oh here we go again” mantra comes more from those that Dont follow obsessively, like me and others on this forum. I am vaguely interested from the technical side but also know having worked in the sector, that it isnt the best thing since sliced bread and never will be. I travel for work related purposes around 1500 km per week so for me an EV is totally out of the question. Green Technology wont replace but support the present energy. As far as I can see, all this “green” stuff is just a con like the COP26 when they flew in to Glasgow in exec jets and charged the leccy gokarts from diesel gennies. The old saying"be careful what you wish for" still holds.

“Worked”, suggest historically and the sector is moving pretty quickly technology wise. “Never” is a very long way off.

1500km, 5 day week 300km per day, thats doable with overnight charging but you may for convenience prefer to wait as charging infrastructure still needs improving.

How long do the recharging breaks have to be? I do a bit over 300km over 5 days/week getting to and from work, but every 6 or 7 weeks I’ll have a 2x1000km journey which I do in a day each time, going to see my parents. Because it is a long journey I do stop regularly but only for about 15/20 minutes at a time. And I don’t need to refill my car, assuming I left with a full tank. It already takes me anything from 8 and a half to 11 hours depending, how much longer it might take with an EV puts me off them a bit.

2 Likes

Assumption. Actually it has been on and off for the last 18 years so it cant be classed as “historical”.

Dairy maid calculation, I dont have the luxury of overnight charging to travel to a location which would take 5-6 hours in a normal car.

1 Like

The assumption was based solely around your description.

You didnt define journey length so I took an average, whether a dairy maid would do that or not I have know knowledge of but if you dont give out the correct information…
As to the luxury of overnight charging possibly where you live? I agree its and infrastructure issue not specifically an EV issue, in the same way as reducing the number of fuel stations would have a similar affect.

Depends on the vehicles charging capability and also that of the charger. There are way too many old chargers which would mean stops being too long for you and business requirements. Unless it were a Tesla, like him or not he does deliver.

That’s my concern regarding range, the unplanned. And it’s a totally valid one.

There have been numerous occasions where I’ve been sat around getting on with home and garden jobs when I’ve had a zero notice request to help with IT/AV issues/cut up free fire wood/go collect something the OH has purchased on FBM/LBC etc.

Since I never return home with the fuel gauge lower than 1/4, I don’t have to panic as there are service stations replete with diesel within 15km of me in any direction I might chose to travel.

1 Like

All valid but as you are at home then charging up is not a problem and as you describe, these are not long journeys.
Yes the odd emergency as decribed by AM would cause a delay at the moment and taking a bit more time to leave at the right point to complete the journey would require some thought. But that is only going to improve.

Last week my work journey was 2200 km, Limoges - Basel - Stuttgart - Zurich - Mezzovico - Limoges. This is the reason i mentioned dairy maid calculation. As a consultant engineer, I dont work a fixed 5 day week, so the former journey was a once in 3 week cycle, other journeys are probably half that. So for me, an EV doesnt meet any requirement’s what so ever. Maybe if I had a daily drive of 20 - 30 kms then it might but as it is, it is a big no no. During a normal weekend I ride one of my motorcycles or walk.

Thats is a bit of big downer, a hybrid can manage that sort of mileage, 200-300km is within the capability of an average EV.

I could get a Tesla model X 2nd hand, low mileage for around 50k

@Corona, @Rocam, what do you think of the gas/petrol option on the Dacia? (that they’ve just temporarily sispended taking any more orders for due to shortage of parts - but that"s another story).

A Jogger that can do 1,000km on one tank at a net 80% of the fuel cost of doing the same mileage with petrol sounds quite tempting. Just wondering if countries the gas version is not sold in know something we don’t.