EV - buy or wait?

I half, no - more than half, want to agree with you but I’m not sure how practical that will be

For starters a single size  of battery is clearly impossible given the fact that cars are not all the same - while a single standard battery size and connector might work for all, say “C” segment cars (the Mercedes A35, Audi A/S3 and BMW 1 series have virtually converged on the same vehicle for instance, and the Golf, Seat Léon and Skoda Octavia are the same vehicle as the A3 as all are built on the MQB Evo platform) is is clear that a battery for that platform is not going to fit a Zoe, for example.

Standardising too early locks you into a limited or buggy platform - think NTSC vs SECAM or PAL

1 Like

Unfortunately money talks, and until EV’s are more affordable they wont be taken up by the masses unfortunately. I think most people would agree it’s the way to go and would welcome one, but they’re just not reachable for the masses yet. People moan and groan often about ryanair, but ultimately people keep flocking - why, because they like the price which is more affordable versus the ‘non budget’ carriers. Money talks!

1 Like

Indeed and early adopters paid small fortunes to fly until Fredie Laker turned things around. It will happen.

1 Like

With 3 main manufacturers for the whole industry currently (excluding Tesla) many are the same size already.

1 Like

That doesn’t actually follow.

I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with that analysis have I? We only differ on the speed with which it will do so.

1 Like

Many people think a wide variety of things, many of them contradictory. :wink:

It’s such a poor option that your next car is going to be electric. Oh, wait - no it’s not. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Defending the indefensible smelly, polluting, noisy, hundreds of additional moving parts that wear out. Cam belts, pistons, valve trains, clutches, gearboxes yada yada. The future is electric and maybe for the present we wait for more models that suit our needs. Still not 100% on another ICE vehicle although more likely. The EV may wait a while but still have my eye on a Kia e-niro.

If you really believed that I don’t think you could possibly consider buying another IC car.

2 Likes

Good taste Billy. After six months of researching the market I ordered one a month ago, delivery in March. I decided against the M50 because I don’t really need to do 0-100 in sub three seconds on the way to Carrefour and the single motor model has 80km more range. It is quite expensive but I’ve justified it (yet again) as it being possibly my last car. Anyway inheritance tax avoidance is paying for a third of it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Less :joy:. And they appreciated.

1 Like

IMO where that’s going to work is trucks. Pull into the distribution centre, drop the load and swap the battery. Got to be a runner.

1 Like

I do really believe it, but currently there is not the vehicle I need/want. The kia e-niro is still a compromise, staying Korean they are bringing out some new MPV models going away from the SUV trend and I am definitely interested in a MPV. So it could be a short ownership of another ICE, still very much undecided but crit air is pushing the issue.

What can I say, I fancy something with decent acceleration and all the mod cons.

March is a bit of a stinger though - though I can’t gloat as Audi can’t even give me a date - “early 2023” is all they’ve got at the moment.

Yes, and I think March may even be wishful thinking on BMW’s part. I’ve given them a cheque (which the won’t actually cash) as deposit but I wonder if I’m still exposed to any price hikes.

I would assume so - the Audi T&C is clear that the price you pay is the one current at the time of delivery.

I’m vaguely hoping that some used I4’s will start to come through, there are some reasonably specified M440i’s - though the only one which was fully specced as I’d like is this one:

I almost went for it, then noticed that it seemed eerily familiar

Oh, yes, here it is

It was a press car so I decided to pass, having seen Mat Watson doing donuts in it on YouTube (irritatingly had it been a closer dealer I might *still* have gone for it but it’s at Park Lane which would be a right pain to get to should I actually need to go back to the dealer to sort any problems).

2 Likes

I am not far from Park Lane, could always drop it off for you. :relaxed:

1 Like

The catch-22 being that if I could get it to you, I could probably get it to Park Lane :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking at the Audi forum if I get it within a year I will be doing quite well.

Yes, I suppose I should do a bit of research. I wonder if LHD and RHD schedules will differ. A new i4 M50 was in the showroom for delivery when we were there. Also the salesman did mention BMW were currently prioritising electric production, maybe all manufacturers are :thinking:

I need a towbar :roll_eyes: so speccing from scratch is really my only option.