EV - buy or wait?

Ending sales of fossil fuels by 2035 would make people sit up a bit more - but I expect that EVs will steadily increase in numbers. It’s noticable how many more I am seeing on the road.

Which is actually pat of my reticence - I’m not sure the UK charging infrastructure is up to the job at the moment (even without charging points not working due to vandalism or faults).

In Brittany it’s really good at the moment. Not only are there lots of public sector charge points, but many are right at the town halls - so my experience yesterday at Perros -Guirec, for example, was typical: drive right into the town centre, park easily for free (while fossil fuel cars were actual;y waiting for spaces in the same car park), and charge up for a fraction of the cost of petrol - and of course all using government-owned infrastructure, so not having to deal with the known lying and destroying and profiteering oil companies. Happy or what?

I do wonder if the charging infrastructure will keep up with the exploding numbers of EVs - but at the moment us early-adopters are sitting pretty.

I can’t help feeling sometimes @Geof_Cox that you are living in a parallel universe. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Well, Brittany…

4 Likes

I’ve often wondered if the French view of Brittany is most like the English view of Wales (basically foreign, they even speak a different language) or Devon/Cornwall (a bit yokel but basically, quintessentially, English).

Anyway I like my patch of 56

2 Likes

Brittany is indeed very different from much of France in all sorts of ways - but this infrastructure is not in fact unique to Brittany.
If you like, Sue, you can look up many hundreds of photos of these charge points, eg. at https://chargemap.com - here’s the one I used yesterday, Town Hall behind…

2 Likes

AutoExpress: Speed limiters on all new cars from next week: know the rules and how they work.

Buy that new car and look after it well!

Sometimes, I really do think the world has just gone plain crazy!

Soon we’ll all be forced to eat the same food and wear the same clothes!

Utter madness!

2 Likes

2 Likes

The Auto Express link needs registration.

Try this one for a more open access report (which I posted last year).

More nagware than anything else, at least for now.

1 Like

Lease the new car.

It’s a tiny change really - from having to turn the limiter on each time (if you want it on), to having to turn it off (if you want it off).

Its a option but I like equity :grinning: also if you hand it back at year 3 youll get a new one with redtriction whereas I would hold onto it for a fair bit longer.

Ultimately it’s never a good deal. It’s one which I can see people going for, depending on their financial circumstances, but always costs more than buying the vehicle outright then selling it back.

Even the best “lease” deal I have access to - the works salary sacrifice - is only just barely worth it for an EV, the benefit in kind would kill any advantage for a fossil fuelled vehicle.

Not with you there, Geof. The limit of automation on my current vehicle is central door locking.

Ironically given that I have a heavy right foot I chose a vehichle *with* the speed limiter - I wanted the adaptive cruise control so got stuck with the speed limiter as part of the package. I didn’t notice any interference during the test drive and, as far as I can see, providing a visual indication of “excessive” speed is sufficient to meet the regs. My wife’s car shows the current speed limit on the satnav display (which you don’t have to have enabled) and changes the colour slightly if you are going a bit too fast.

2 Likes

This is Money: New MG4 electric hatchback has a SWAPPABLE battery for £30k | This is Money.

Not unlike a cordless drill perhaps?
Leave one charging on the bench for later.

1 Like

Hahaha

That does look like a good idea for trying to ‘futureproof’ an EV, with the battery governing so much about the car’s general appeal :+1: the market and technology is certainly developing quickly. I was amazed at the performance when I first travelled in my brother’s bmw - impressive! But always wondered what would happen as the battery faded over time.

We need an enforced requirement for an international standard battery fitment and batteries that can be swapped across manufacturers.
Batteries could be created with the same size external casing but containing variable numbers of cells, allowing shorter journeys with a lightweight battery pack or long journeys with a fully loaded version.
Batteries to be owned by charging networks and a lease fee included in the cost of swapping your battery pack.
Battery charging network responsible for maintaining condition of batteries and ensuring that everyone gets one of at least a minimum condition (i.e. >90 nominal capacity). Charging network can also act as storage for the national grid.
Home charging for interchangeable battery cars disabled to prevent ‘wearing out’ of leased battery.
Time to change battery max 5min, automated change-over station.

It’s what we need to make electric cars a less poor option.

1 Like

Some of us think burning fossil fuels IS the poor option.