EV - buy or wait?

The European super grid (including little 3rd countries) is there to take us into an electric future.

I think that in say 10-15 years there is going to be a big “O F**K” moment when the governments realises that all the this will be done and that will be done, hasn’t been, as usuall with bollocks, bluster, never never, it will be all right governments.
Nothing will have been properly coordinated, it will have been put it off for the next government so we don’t have to find the 100’s of billions required attitude they all have and then the poo will hit the fan big time.
All the at the time massive commitments they make get scaled back and toned down greatly and dates keep on getting put back further and further, I have no faith governments will do what is needed now, just look at Cop Out26, governments are great at making promises, not so good at keeping them until it’s too late.

1 Like

Interesting developments stateside. The comments are also worth reading.

Tesla has already opened up some of its chargers

I’m not completely convinced that an OTA upgrade is valid as a recall - is there a way to prevent the software updating automatically?

Well Audi phoned to say they are finally going to build my new gas guzzler and it should be here by April.

So that’s me out of the EV loop for the next 20 years :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ll be discussing autonomous self driving flying cars powered by small nuclear reactors and flux capacitors by then.

Almost certainly, the car I’ve ordered includes auto lane control, cruise that follows the car in front etc - we’ll see how intrusive it is (I’ve a nasty feeling it might try to keep me under the speed limit though).

Yeah, I’m not so sure about that bit of your prediction :rofl:

Audi’s system certainly reads road sign speed limits and applies them, my friend turned his off.

Yes, it does - no sign of it preventing a bit spirited driving when I took it for a test spin though (but the sales droid could have disabled it) and AIUI the legislation only says the driver has to be warned of the excess speed. As the S3 has a head up display including the limit that should suffice.

As you say it can be disabled - but that has to be done at the start of the journey and some manufacturers make it less than intuitive. Not sure how difficult Audi has made it.

If I decide I don’t like it quickly enough, I can probably make a profit selling it 2nd hand given the state of the market.

My 2018 Nissan Leaf 2.0 does all that, but does not limit your speed, well, only to that which you set yourself. I find it a boon on busy multilane motorways (think M25), but less so on empty 2 lane autoroutes (think A84).

From 2035 :yum::smile: I wonder how long it will take to stop second hand cars/ vans/ lorries from being used.

1 Like

EU now says new models must have mandatory speed limiters and all new cars on sale must have them from 2024.

See this link

Although the scope of the legislation includes automatically slowing the vehicle whatever measure is implemented the driver has to be able to override/ignore it so, for now, it’s more nagware than anything else.

The UK is not (yet) adopting this - but with the UK motor industry evaporating faster than a puddle on a Cairo street in full summer most of the vehicles that we drive are likely to be made in Europe anyway.

The current S3 dates from 2020 so would not need to have it fitted - for the moment - even in the EU.

Now there’s a man who knows how to whinge. Doesn’t seem to be a very nice person either " In July 2021, following the death of the journalist Dawn Foster, Coren tweeted the following:

“When someone dies who has trolled you on Twitter, saying vile and hurtful things about you and your family, is it okay to be like, ‘I am sorry for the people who loved you, and any human death diminishes me, but, HA HA HA HA HA HA’?”[66]

An earlier version of this tweet included the words, “you can fuck off on to hell now where you belong” in place of, “HA HA HA HA HA HA”.[67]

Both tweets were quickly deleted but were screen-grabbed and widely shared online

Though JLR does seem to living up to my wife’s experience with a new Discovery many years ago :face_with_hand_over_mouth: All sorts of bits, including a water pump pulley fell off.

On a more positive note I stopped at an autoroute aire in the middle of nowhere last Monday and spotted these behind the resto…

I was impressed, but I was even more impressed when I spotted more on the way out…

They’re not sissy ones either :slightly_smiling_face:

I considered one but the 2WD has better range and I don’t need the added performance (and weight) of the second motor. Also the handling of the rear wheel drive version is better. Mine has been on order for about eight months now. They’ll have bloody well replaced the model before I get :roll_eyes:

It’s already happened as a pilot in Europe. Selected Tesla superchargers can be used by non Teslas in selected sites.

Once again, I think all new cars have had these for a while. There’s just not activated. There’s no need for extra hardware.

At least 2050 and presumably - if the Earth hasn’t gone up in a giant fireball, or we actually run out - fossil fuels will be available well into the 2nd half of the century.

It’s too little, too late. but if I were ruler of the world I’d halt just about *all* car production.

The answer is to stop people making car journeys, and reduce the number of cars on the road - not just give everyone an oversized personal transport which, when driven, is typically used at 1/4 or 1/5 of its capacity and sits idle 95% of the time.

The earth will do just fine, with it’s glacial and interglacial cycles, it has been through a lot worse than this and the odd meteor strikes as well, humans on the other hand might not be so lucky.
Thankfully I’ll be long gone before any of it happens. :wink:.

I wonder?

A certainty :wink::neutral_face:

1 Like