Failed CT and confused

My Citroen c-crosser failed the CT which was expected :neutral_face:… I Knew the headlights being a UK bought car would be a fail , however the thing that confused me is the wording relating to the non conformity.
It says the feu,couleur émise,position,intensité ou marquage non conforme aux exigences :AVD,ADG
Any ideas what the AVD and AVG stands for please , I have a feeling it may mean total replacement but would be much happier if we can get them adjusted. :grinning:

They simply mean front right and front left. Avant droit et avant gauche.

AVD front righthand AVG front lefthand

feu,couleur émise,position,intensité ou marquage non conforme aux exigences…

which means that your lights do not conform in one (maybe all) of the items listed.

It is really useful to discuss with the Examiner… and if your French is not up to much… ask a friend to go with you… :relaxed:

I don’t think there is any confusion Stella, the UK lights do not comply.

Agreed David… but is it non-compliance on all counts? … the list does say “ou” :zipper_mouth_face:

anyway, I’m off to my local Peugeot garagiste to discuss a car, just coming to the age… to need a CT (UK-bought car).

the car needs a service and doing whatever is necessary for it to pass the CT.

The owner wants me along to ensure all goes smoothly (:thinking::wink:). we will certainly be discussing the lights ! Off out at 8.30am and hopefully able to report back by lunchtime… :relaxed:

1 Like

Of course if I had a brain :blush: AVD / AVG = front Left and Right
My understanding of french is not to bad but when it gets to technical stuff over the phone well I give up… I have now asked a friend to call for me to clarify …
Do the colours differ ? its a standard halogen

1 Like

:laughing::laughing: no probs… we all have mad moments…

Let us know how your friend gets on…

1 Like

Will do :grin:
Thanks

If you are LGBT then pink ones are accepted :wink:

2 Likes

Ha ha !! :roll_eyes:
Anyway, the verdict is I have to replace complete unit … I am so fed up with this @@@@dy car

It’s not the car’s fault, it didn’t choose to be imported into France.

1 Like

No,I thought I was being kind bringing it back home to france…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
We should have kept the 2cv instead :roll_eyes:

You can always look at putting stickers on the headlights to flatten the beam. They have to be placed accurately though.
You can start the import process with a CT failure certificate if your UK MOT is more than 6 months old presuming that you have not already done this.

1 Like

Mark, Whilst I agree that some CT testers will accept correctly positioned adhesive ‘Beam Benders’, there is a debate about this along the lines of fitting such devices being an alteration of the lamp unit which results in said lamp unit no longer fulfilling the ‘Type Approval’ rating originally obtained by the lamp manufacturer, and that therefore it becomes a non Type Approved lamp, and thus constitutes a CT failure.
At the end of the day it all comes down to the ‘opinion’ of the tester really.

The old CT did not allow stickers on headlights although some testers did pass cars with them. The new CT now states that RHD headlights are a failure “except those equipped with a device rendering the beam flat (e.g. masking tape or a specific device)” - code 4.1.2.a.2.

It does require a CT tester to be on the ball & to have read thoroughly the new instructions!

Here are the new lighting specs in full - http://www.utac-otc.com/METHODES%20DE%20CONTROLE/Instructions%20Techniques%20applicables%20à%20compter%20du%2020%20mai%202018/IT%20PL%20F4B-ECLAIRAGE%20010218.pdf

On this subject but in the case of bringing a car over temporarily for a short stay do you know if this is possible for modern high intensity lamps which have self levelling, and steering wheel tracking as well. As far as I can see, there is no fixed position in which you could apply anything to alter the beam shape.

The result is that I’ve pretty well given up trying - I used to use the fresnel lens beam deflectors and they worked very well with the old style parabolic reflectors, somewhat with more modern but fixed projector units and not that well with current lights that swing around in the breeze. Not been stopped by les flics yet but I guess it is a possibility.

Mind you - given that the beam can be shifted up, down, left and right electronically why the bloody hell the car does not have a switch or setting to go from RHD to LHD is beyond me.

Most vehicles with this type of headlight often have a flat beam already or the headlights can be reprogrammed by the driver. What car do you have?

Mazda 6 - if there is a way of reprogramming the beam position to LHD I have not managed to find it.

What year, Paul?