Farage's swansong?

Leeds in Europe, them were the days. :grinning:

1 Like

Bit like the scammers who get you to click on links so they can take over your pc, or the “men from Microsoft” who phone you and tell you you have a computer security issue and they will sort it out over the phone for you… you have to admire their persistence, single-mindedness and determination, and also their cleverness (not sure that applies to Farage), but you can’t help wishing they would put all these sterling qualities to better use.
And as human beings - frankly, I consider them scum.

1 Like

…when they aren’t being used to carry on doing a bad and destructive thing while filling your pockets.

Well @anon27586881 we agree that the qualities are inherently ‘sterling’ and whether Farage has picked my pocket remains open to question. As I implied, I didn’t buy what he was selling, I could see through his sales pitch, but I still have admiration for his persistence, consistency and his mental and physical resilience. And not grudgingly, either.

1 Like

@vero, my response to @anon27586881 applies to yours too :grinning:

“he will make no concessions to ease an agreement into being”.

Arguably, May’s negotiations over the Withdrawal Agreement were doomed from the moment she set herself a deadline by triggering Article 50 and then by defining her red lines. Bojo has already set himself a deadline of January 1st 2021 and now he’s acting tough while actually having no cards in his hand nor up his sleeve. I fear that with Bojo at the helm and Cummings pulling the strings the ERG’s dream of a hard Brexit is almost a foregone conclusion.

1 Like

I wonder whether you would feel the same if you were standing next to him? With the amount he drinks and smokes I think it unlikely that he is well turned out in the olfactory sense.

1 Like

I think he’s well turned out in an Arthur Daly sense. I don’t know where he gets his overcoats but it must be the same shop as Arthur did.

1 Like

Judge not a book by its cover.
Ever heard that one?

2 Likes

Well, yes but Farage both looks/dresses like a Spiv and â€‰acts like one.

I’d like to think that he will fade back into obscurity but I have a feeling he will still stir trouble.

There is a lot of pent up anger amongst Leavers and I very much doubt that leaving the EU will assuage it.

2 Likes

+1
Johnson, Farage and their ilk unleashed a lot of ugly prejudices and brought them to the boil to get the votes they wanted. Now that all this hatred has served its purpose, Johnson needs to find a way to calm it down and put the lid back on. Not easy.

3 Likes

+2 I wouldn’t want to be living in a leaver area right now.

Which basically translates as “England outside of London or some of the more enlightened large cities or Wales”

I do live in such an area - thankfully not the most Leave leaning constituency going ( 54% to 46%) but, nevertheless, I wonder what is going to happen when the Leavers find that speaking English does not become compulsory, there aren’t any fewer brown faces around and it turns out that the EU is better prepared, more experienced and the stronger partner in the trade negotiations.

No wonder Johnson wanted this bit as much out of the news as possible.

To be fair most of the major cities in England voted remain.

Erm, all of England is outside of Wales. There is no England insde Wales.
Ah, just realised I read it wrong :face_with_thermometer:

Birmingham didn’t although it was close.

Leeds, Bristol, Norwich, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff and Newcastle all voted Remain.

I find myself slightly surprised actually - earlier post tweaked

I have no doubt that Farage will find some other new way of infuriating us. What I find amazing is that after 27 years of being a pain in the bum, no one has had the common decency to dispose of him, unless his plane crash was a failed attempt … As for him being admirable, you could say the same for Hitler’s early career.

No doubt that will upset someone. Who cares.

1 Like