Favourite Biscuits

Inspired by serious thread drift elsewhere just wondering what everybody’s favourite biscuits are. Savoury or sweet. I’ll go first.

Sweet - Foxes Ginger Crunch Creams in the UK and Figolu in France (ate a whole packet once, most unwise!)
Savoury - Cheddars in the UK but, controversially, in France never found a decent savoury biscuit!!

Salivating !!!
Izzy x

2 Likes

absolument interdit pour moi

1 Like

Grantham Gingerbreads are my favourite homemade biscuit… gingery, crumbly… and adored by OH and all our neighbours.

Bought biscuits are rare… but when there’s a little red wine left in one’s glass… one simply has to have one of these biscuits… let’s face it … “the wine’s too wet without one” :wink: :wink: (must be the dark chocolate, of course… )

4 Likes

Extremely rare treat for me too. I’ve lost a lot of weight and don’t want to jeopardise that. I do have occasional “treat days” though now I’m maintaining.
Izzy x

2 Likes

ah… just noticed this comment…
A French friend makes nice cheesey biscuits.
Parmesan crispies… is about the way to describe them… and they’ve usually got something like poppy seeds in 'em. I don’t make them as they need rolling-out and I can’t do that… but nothing stops me eating them when ever we get the chance…

2 Likes

I found most savoury biscuits to be a bit bland. Belin probably the best of a poor choice.
Izzy x

I think that’s it, just total lack of choice!! In Oz we have so many lovely savory biccies. Would always have at least a pack of water crackers in for cheese ect.

2 Likes

So agree. I like to give a box of mixed sweet biscuits for our gite guests in their welcome pack but I realise not everyone has a sweet tooth. Can I find a nice box of mixed savoury? No way!

1 Like

I guess because the French tend not to use them like we all do with cheese, pâté, dips etc. They have bread (even sliced and dried in the oven, which is fine but not the same!). Lidl do a nice multi grain biscotte but so much more carbs than a thin cracker! Must try some DIY cheese keto ones, meant to be good but never tried. @Corona have you made any or have a good recipe?

2 Likes

slightly off-topic but isn’t that true of most things savoury in France? I’m thinking curry here… full blown vindaloo UK would blow your socks off but here, the experience (for that is what it is) is more subtle with the nuances of the sauce coming through later…

1 Like

I always made my own curries so we could have them as spicy as we wanted. Also, I don’t recall ever finding an Indian restaurant despite searching.
In any case, pre-made/convenience food is not what France does best! I recall a poor choice of sandwiches, limited crisp flavours, flavourless boxed soups etc. I did used to love the fruit compotes and the enormous choice of yoghurts/desserts that didn’t taste of artificial sweetener.
Since I’ve been back in the UK there isn’t really any food I miss from France except the above mentioned compotes and proper bread.
Izzy x

2 Likes

Never quite got round to making them although they sound great.

1 Like

Well I am surprised not one mention of mcvities , Digesrives, plain, milk or dark chocolate on the French biscuit gondola in our Intermarche or Carrafour.

Eating a packet is not difficult, with a pot of Yorkshire tea.

6 Likes

Thanks for the thought izzy, but I find these little bitty biscuits don’t quite hit the spot it the same way that a Carrs water biscuit or a Jacob’s cream cracker do. This is more the sort of thing I would love to find - but with a French nuance - I think there’s a gap in the market. :grinning:

2 Likes

Crumbs

5 Likes

eat too many and you’ll likely have a gap in your teeth too :wink:

1 Like

Yup. Fond memories of Arnott’s which we also had in NZ. Too many nice varieties to name.

Best biscuits we ever had in the UK were a tinned selection sold to very upmarket corporates only. Shortbready-type. Usually about 7 varieties in a 1kg fancy square tiin. OH got them at the ‘factory door’ in Acton, discreetly, for cash once or twice a year. Although utterly English in style they had a French name beginning with ‘B’ and the rest I’ve forgotten.

So nice, very buttery, such quality you couldn’t make. Oh dear I wish you hadn’t started this thread

2 Likes

Arnotts BBQ Shapes :heart:

2 Likes

Ahhhh…proper Bath Olivers.
Even more, the ones in round tall tins thickly covered all over both sides in dark chocolate.

Hard to find good biscuits for cheese in France… you can’t beat a good digestive. Even though McVitie’s are not what they were. I’m occasionally making Norman Calder’s Farthing Biscuits recipe at home here in France (after @Vero told me what the French brand name for lard was) to go with cheese…superb. The recipe is very economical and goes a long, long way… loved him on Bakeoff. They are like the old Carr’s High Bake Water Biscuit only better flavoured and easy to make

3 Likes