Favourite Biscuits

Is it our imagination or have French cakes /biscuits got sweeter over the years? It used to be (we thought) one of the reasons why we so liked patisseries here because everything (seemed?) less sweet than in the UK. Not any more.

3 Likes

You are almost certaiy correct Sue, the high fructose corn starch is way sweeter tasting than its sugar equivalent and a fraction of the price so it gets adopted by most of the big food manufacturers to increase their bottom line profit whist ruining the health of entire nations. Sugar is a highly addictive drug and the body craves it more and more. People do not understand how I do not have added sugar or sweet junk. Yesterday a colleague at work bought me a caramel chocolate bar, I had to eat it so as not to offend but it was disgustingly sweet, insipid actually but people eat them, my colleague is diabetic, suffers from gout, eats instant porridge with high fructose syrup that I can smell the second they enter the office and the door is twenty paces away.

2 Likes

And, memorably (for me, though not yet been bold enough to try it) bread and maroilles.

1 Like

Isn’t there a hand/nose gesture used to signify drunkenness… rolling your hand to form a fist and cupping your nose and twisting is the best way I can describe it… maybe associated with a snorting noise - cochon like

1 Like

Yes indeed, I don’t know it with the snort but obv there are variations, personal, regional, intensity etc.

2 Likes

the snort perhaps indicating the extent to which the person has indulged themselves in a “piggish” fashion :wink:

1 Like

I agree, these cheese biscuits really taste of cheese and are handy to have in your store cupboard.

1 Like

The sliced bread in France is so sweet too. Not quite sure how they call it sandwich bread, it tastes like cake to me.
Izzy x

2 Likes

It isn’t proper bread, that’s why - the rules for real baker’s bread don’t apply to it. They call it sandwich bread or whatever in order to make people think they need it. Ugh. A proper sandwich is a half baguette with whatever inside after all, but that is far too simple and relatively cheap :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ideal (as far as I’m concerned) is to find a baker who bakes bread which one enjoys… then ask if it can be sliced, if that’s what one prefers or needs… works for me. :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Jambon beurre :yum:

2 Likes

Yes but I prefer jambon moûtarde cornichons :grin:

5 Likes

Lidl do a not sweet one!

1 Like

And its the best thing since sliced bread😋

3 Likes
2 Likes

Malted Milk a staple from my childhood .

2 Likes

We find the French sandwiches very dry, except pan bagna of course, where is the mayonnaise?

1 Like

usually on the frites with the jambon beurre :wink:
helps to melt the beurre which then runs down your chin mmmmm :yum:

1 Like

what has gone down well at past local do’s where a swift something was desired…

Baguette cut into 3 then split open…
each “sandwich” is then filled according to the customer’s taste:
-paté/terrine
-butter and ham
-chipolata (hot off the grill)

additions offered … cornichons (big ones), mustard, mayonaise, tomato sauce

2 Likes

reminds me… I flew into Dieppe some years ago and doing the keto diet stuff at the time - no bread - I asked at an event on the beach for a chipolata without the baguette… “Non messieur!” was the definitive response “c’est interdit!”. I think he was worried I’d ask for a discount… as it happened, I didn’t argue the toss so just separated the chipolata from the baguette and dumped the greasy baguette it in the nearest bin… I doubt even the seagulls would have eaten it :roll_eyes:

2 Likes