Fibre Optics latest news

Helen you don’t need Skype to talk via the Internet for free calls - we use Vonage which provides a little box that you plug into your router, into the little box you plug your normal phone. So to ring the UK you just dial the phone number on you phone as you normally would do and the person you are ringing is none the wiser as to them it is just the same.

The difference to you could be saving 10 euros per month, by saving 20 euros for land-line and spending 10 euros for Vonage.

It is just an option that is cheaper - but I fully understand some people just prefer to leave things as they are.

1 Like

Anyone with an Orange contract has no need of a third party box. They will have free calls to worldwide fixed lines using VOIP. They make calls as usual and the person at the other end needs no special equipment. Paying for a fixed line as well serves little or no service. Stella, if your area regularly suffers from damaged lines having a fixed line will be no help either. The My Livebox App that I used to report my Internet problem does not have to be used on an Orange mobile phone, my contract is with Bouygues, a mobile phone with a Free or Leclerc SIM would cost a lot less than €240 a year to own. It could also be carried in your car, just in case…

1 Like

David… the problem is for other folk… not me… they really do seem to suffer if they do not rent their line from Orange/FT… sounds daft but that is how it is… and has been for the last few years.

I don’t understand. If you help other people why do you need any more than VOIP? Why do you find that a fixed line is essential?

1 Like

Hey if anyone out there wants to spend 240€ / year on two cans and a piece of string - surely that’s their choice! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone… OH has just reminded me that we get asked to help/phone when the Electrics are down as well… as our landline works when the E doesn’t… and around here, that happens enough times to be a darn nuisance…

Phew… I’m fighting with my Declaration at the moment… and heartily wish I had not opted for e-documents for my bank statements… I’m going boss-eyed.

Byee …

Mobiles work when the power is out.

2 Likes

yes ive always found orange very very helpful too

2 Likes

Well for what its worth I apparently have …

Download 1.99 mbps
Upload 0.68 mpbs

My connection is frequently down( maybe a cow or sheep on the line) and I am out of the range for 4g on 'phones too, guess I will have to pedal harder again :persevere: