Filling the pool

Hello all
I’ve just had an overground pool installed. Now ready to fill. Ideally I’d like a water supplier to come and do it quickly with a tanker. 30m3 (67,000 gallons). Region is Athis Val de Rouvre, Normandy, 61100. Any suggestions for suppliers please? Also anyone have an idea of how much this would cost from mains water? I do have a well but not sure about this. Any help, ideas, recommendations gratefully received. Thanks in advance :cherry_blossom:

You can work out the cost from your last water bill, as it will be m3.

1 Like

How does that fit in with restrictions? Can one just buy X M3 of water in a truck? I’m just wondering, no axe to grind one way or the other. How does the M3 cost compare to Veolia?

Hi John
I really don’t know! I will start usual research tomorrow but just wondered if any expats had any previous experience or recommendations. We can buy water delivery in tanker with big hose to fill it quickly - which would be my preference. No idea about cost differential versus Veolia - trying to find out options.

1 Like

Thanks Jane. Good thinking! I’m sure I would have got there eventually… just trying to pick cleverer experienced brains! I’m a newbie in France so all seems more tricky when I start on any project. Thanks again.

1 Like

Don’t forget to add the cost of the water, the cost for the waste water, I know there won’t be any but you’ll still be charged a multiple of what you use from your water meter, could be 1x, 2x or even 3x the supplied volume cost dependant on your region.

Thankyou!

It’d be interesting to know Lorraine. Unless I get my pool sorted out (chemicals aren’t my strong point :roll_eyes:) before a family event in June I may need to follow the same route.

I’ll let you know what I find out. Hoping to get mine filled and ready by end of May. Good luck!

1 Like

Ring your water supplier, or look at their website.
I would have thought getting a tanker to fill it would be a lot more expensive, it is certainly not something usual either here in 24 or where I come from on the Côte d’Azur but maybe it makes sense for a small quantity like 30m3.
For comparison, my pool takes 75m3 and I’ve only ever filled it using a hosepipe, it takes a couple of days, filling your pool like that won’t take very long at all.

Edited to add this, which I found by googling

They haven’t a clue, I think the Canadian price for such a service is just padding for the article.

Hi Vero
Good to hear. Thanks for the info.

That’s interesting. Luckily the water in our pool seems to be recovering after a week of shock treatment and pH juggling. A new circulation pump’s being fitted on Tuesday which should really get things moving.

2 Likes

I see what you did there.
pH first, shock later. If your pH is out your chlorine won’t be as effective. Just use eau de javel :slightly_smiling_face:Check the tac as well. Personally I like peroxide in my pool but lots of people don’t and it means chlorine readings are out afterwards.

Yes, the bloody pump blew up after the winter and it took weeks to get the supplier’s technician out to assess it and wrestle it back into service. I was going to have a go at it myself but it would have invalidated the guarantee, which is on the cusp of expiring. We’ve been limping along since waiting for the replacement and afraid to shut it off to backwash in case it wouldn’t restart, so things got a bit grubby. I’ve been changing the hairnet things I use in the skimmer like a lunatic trying to clean things up :joy: and the robot’s exhausted. But we’re heading in the right direction now.

What the tac?

It’s the total minerals in your water, if you get it to an ideal level then keeping the pH stable is much easier.
Le TAC, Titre Alcalimétrique Complet, est la mesure qui indique la quantité de sels minéraux présents dans votre eau de piscine ou l’alcalinité de votre eau . Le TAC est mesuré en °f, en ppm ou en mg/l et devrait aux alentours de 150 ppm et surtout ne pas descendre en-dessous de 80°ppm.

I should be clear I’m not any sort of expert, but I grew up seeing the pool being dealt with by our gardien and wanting to know how it worked, and have dealt with my own single-handed for over 20 years.

1 Like

Whilst TA is indeed important, might I suggest that you first look at your Stabiliser level? This is very important as it dictates the effectiveness of the Chlorine.
You may think you are shocking the water with a high dose of Javel, but in fact the stabiliser is preventing it to do is job.,

Thanks, I’ll have a look at that.

Regarding pool maintenance I’m in a similar boat. I’ve had pools before but always had someone to look after them. I used to have a nice guy here but he shut up shop in February. He doesn’t see the immediate outlook for pool businesses as a very positive one so he’s dumped the overhead of the shop etc. He may resurface as a home based guy but if not I’ll need to brush up on my own stuff.

Mmmmm ?

It’s salt pool with a pH doser so all I do is check the salt level, the chorine level and the pH and note it in my little spreadsheet, Do I need a few more columns? :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, you really should add in a column for, Total Alkalinity (TA), Stabiliser (CYA or cyanauric acid) and one for salt.

If you use a chlorine generator then your stabiliser level should be good, but still worth checking.

How much chlorine did you use to shock?

Stabiliser is a horror really, nasty stuff and far too remanent.