Filling the pool

I’ll do that. I worked out the cubic meters (it’s only a small pool, we wanted it near the house and we kept it shallow) and went by the ratio on the shock product. It was effective.

Have you used pool clarifier?

Technically yes, in practice though where its a pool with CYA stabiliser it matters very little, the most important is chlorine to CYA ratio. The chlorine level around 5% of CYA level.
CYA at 50ppm chlorine 2.5ppm is a good starting point.

This is a pool industry wrong’un they issue one figure for all pools, if the pool is vinyl lined or fibreglass you can run at a much lower TA, I run mine between 40-50ppm this produces a very stable pH. With the 80-150 ppm the pH will naturally climb as CO2 off gasses from the water so you have to buy pH- to reduce it. Which lowers the TA as well so you add TA+ which sends up the pH by more off gassing so you add more pH- and the pool industry is very happy.
Better if you can over time reduce the TA to 40-60ppm and enjoy not adding pH- and the savings.

1 Like

Pool salt is often more expensive as it has CYA stabiliser which is the most important chemical in the pool. You cannot accurately measure CYA with dip strips, you need a better test like a vanishing dot type, you wont find those in France though because they do not understand.
In a salt chlorinator a slightly higher CYA level is often requested by manufacturers 50-70ppm. Once this level is reached and salt additions can be made with lower cost water softner salt.

Get you TA down and you can disconnect your pH doser, you won’t need it and it’s safer without.

1 Like

I’ll get back to you for advice on that Corona after the pump is replaced and I can start backwashing etc.

Yes I use pool clarifier John, couldnt add that answer due to the 3 post limit. Jollygelly is a good one as it lowers phosphates as well, just pop it in the pump prefilter.
Are you going variable speed pump? Or single speed with variable speed control? Bot will save money and improve filtration. We only need full speed for backwashing and 99% of the time you will be in filtration.

I’ve ordered my Jolly jelly Corona, it’ll be here on Friday. The pump was replaced under guarantee so as I wasn’t smart enough to order a variable speed one initially, I’ve just got the same again, though a 0.25HP more powerful one it seems. They may have under specced it in the first place.

I have a pH doser which because the 5 litre container of Diffamoins was in the local technique was rusting everything. So I’ve (one burnt out DeWalt later) drilled a hole in the wall to put the container outside. Thing is I can’t fine any acid resistant plastic tubing to extend the pick-up. Any ideas?

Another point, any suggestions for a pool alarm? Since there are no kids our animals in our house I’ve been winging it, but I should really bite the bullet. But they are so ugly, and of course they don’t actually work :roll_eyes:

You only need full speed for backwashing, an increase in pump power on filtration would either do nothing as the frictional head would increase or worsen filtration a little by driving dirt harder through the filter. In a Swedish university report some years ago, skin cells were abraided smaller in a rapid sand filter and just returned to the pool smaller in size. Depending on the pump, easiest option is to fit a plug and play variable speed controller, it will pay for itself in a season or two.

Because of the risk to operators and pools (two cases of the pH probes failing and pumping all the acid into the pool) if the TA can be brought down you wont need the acid at all. Failing that pvc tubing would last around 6 months before going brittle, silicon tubing a little longer. Santoprene is the best of the bunch.

I havent looked into alarms for some time because as you say they are crap mostly, lasting a shade passed their guarantee period only.
Longest lasting one I have, think it still works. Was made originally by Philips, Cash piscine have one that looks just the same.

1 Like

Sorry that I di dnot reply as asked. I slipped over to the UK, but only lasted two days - a combination of the M25 or A40 shredding one of my tyres and listening to those godawful people spouting on about brexshit coming good one day. Being a neighbour of Clarkson’s mud estate did not help either, so slipped out equally quiet yesterday evening :grinning:

I do not use clarifier although I did a while back - I used them all! Any new jar that came on the shelves, I bought! Now, I just use a proprietry stabilizer (very little), Javel, HCl acid (or it might be H2SO4, I cannot remember) from local bricos and baking soda from the enterprise that supplies bakeries around here. This change was listening to a chap that was around on many forums under the name of ‘teapot’. What he did not know about pools was not worth talking about. Unfortunately communication was bad and most of his posts degraded into typical forum nonsense, but I studiously listened and took notes that has paid off in spades!
His basic pool care was quite simple - keep the cyanauric acid in check and do not use any chlorine additives or salt that contain stabiliser. Keep the salt levels in check if you use an SWG. Then maintain the TA with acid or baking soda and keep as low as possible. In doing this, the Ph readings were also affected, but the trick is to not worry about these too much unless thay are rally in the red zone. The second trick is to aerate the water as much as possible. Then, as Corona supports, ditch the Ph doser!

I run my pool all year around, and for five years or more follow the above and the pool just keeps on giving! My regular readings are 50ppm CYA, 4/3.8 ppm Cl, <80ppm TA with Ph often up around 8. The water is aerated by shooting the returns into the air (an air brick is on my to-do-list somewhere hand in hand with a Speck variable pump). I use a Scuba2 to take readings - not sure how good they are, but as Corona also says, the Taylor kits - regarded as the best by many - are just not in France…

1 Like

Is one allowed to say ‘paid off in spades’ these days, or is like hot cross buns - anti PC…?

If anyone is offended, then apologies, but I play bridge and think the old analagy is very apt when describing the best… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Very kind of you to say so, I left the nonsense and changed name and settled away from those who just …

2 Likes

Is that not around 250 tonnes and quite a few tankers?

Apparently it’s 30m3 so not that big. It’s been very interesting viewing all the other pool maintenance messages on this conversation. I’ve definitely learned enough to get started. Thanks :grin:

1m3 of water weighs a tonne. 20kg more if it’s sea water.

I recently bought my Taylor (K-2006) kit from Spain
https://www.piscinasyproductos.com/fr/74_taylor
I had an issue of 2 incorrect reagents in the kit - they are sending the correct ones via courier in a day or so

Yes, I hadn’t noticed the 30m3, only the calculation of 67,000 gallons.

Well, well, well! Phoenix!

I stand by what I said - in all these years, I have followed your advice and saved a fortune in no longer buying the latest snake-oil products :laughing: and do wonder what all the fuss is about when one reads the horror stories…!

I never did get into your low power pumping, as I used upturned jets to aerate the water that need some ‘puissance’ (to use the vernacular), and then we got used to, and liking, the water falling and cannot now do without it, to the point that I am maybe over pumping and paying the price…

No problem with the water falling, creates a nice environment. What about when you are not there, 90%+ of your money saved :+1:
All in good time I expect.

It’s published but not always noticed… :wink: