Filling the pool

“consumption above a certain quantity - for example, for swimming pools - would be charged at higher rates.”
No compulsory pool covers then? Must be about raising money not saving water?

1 Like

From what I’ve noticed, the moment a govt says “one must have xyz” they’re asked to provide funds to aid said purchase… by putting the onus on the User to pay for what they use, that might be a good step towards the User realising the sense of getting a cover…
(who knows… :wink: )

Fine if you have the water to charge for. I am about the simple basic saving of the water. Gov didnt provide funding for pool alarms

My off-the-cuff thought is that Private Pools are a luxury not an essential…
Thus (to me) it’s not unreasonable to expect PPool Owners to pay for whatever is necessary for their Pool, rather than having Public money used… :wink:

4 Likes

In case of a fire during these very dry times, I think having a good stock of pool water could be quite advantageous.But I guess this would only be applicable in very particular circumstances i.e remote location exposed to surrounding fire risk. Certainly got me thinking about mine :thinking:

The pompiers can come and use your water if they need to, as far as I remember. Maybe you need to sign up.

1 Like

Yes I was agreeing with you, no way should public money be used.

1 Like

In the P-O Pompiers are trying to keep ahead of the game

https://www.ouest-france.fr/region-occitanie/pyrenees-orientales/video-dans-les-pyrenees-orientales-les-pompiers-reservent-de-l-eau-en-prevision-des-incendies-84488fb0-3681-3a9d-8bae-425360c2b8b8

Yes happening all over the PO, empty cuves are being filled. Neighbour has completely fenced in his property for his new pool and I can hear him using the outside tap at this moment to wash all his new concrete down and fill the poolup as it has no cover. Not cricket but I am no snitch although it will show on his water meter as I warned another neighbour who is leavinghis new pool empty this year now.

1 Like

On news last night the PO has banned all above ground pools now and asking shops to take them off the shelves. Spas also.

Pretty stringent rules brought in for some regions then. Still no mandatory covers, with the huge number of existing pools in France why are the thick rule making @!#$% not bringing in the obvious? Pools can evaporate a fair amount of water, sort that and you masively reduce the need for top ups for millions of pools.

*Reduces chemical usage too.
*Reduces pump run time.
*Reduces heating requirements.

I’m surprised you say that @Corona. If we cover our pool at night through summer the temperature quickly reaches the high 20s and we are having to run the pump virtually all day. In fact when the temperature reaches 30 we leave the cover OFF, to let the pool cool down - otherwise it’s not refreshing to get into. And we certainly wouldn’t leave the cover on during the day.

My neighbour has no cover and each day I could see it getting lower but he ignores the rules and continues to use the hosepipe plus he has deliberately fenced the whole place off so no one can see in now but I can hear the water being used, hosepipes are pretty noisy things. He is one of those people who thinks he is above the rules.

1 Like

Why is that? Although I run my pool 24 hrs (when the cover is off) the amount of electricity I use is either equal to or less than you would use in 2 hours running the pool.

Understood, as liners dont like above 34c generally. We could use a new type of cover to reduce evaporation but allow the pool to cool a few degrees. I have often thought but not yet progressed that thought into heat recovery from the pool to hot water storage or more presisely phase change heat storage. But it is on my radar. Hoping to put in a new pool in the coming year as poor old one has been a test bed for my research and is looking quite sad.

1 Like

of course, it’s possible that the neighbour has now secured the access to the pool area… which (I believe) was/is mandatory if a pool alarm is not fitted… just a thought.

I’d be very interested to have your thoughts on the KWhrs/day I could expect to consume for running a conventional pool of 10x4m average 1.6m deep?

How??

Already fenced off with grillage, it is mandatory on this new estate for every household to fence off their property completely with the same fencing. No, he is a sneaky so and so and knows one of the other neighbours who cannot fill his brand new pool would rat on him.