Filling the pool

Already fenced off with grillage, it is mandatory on this new estate for every household to fence off their property completely with the same fencing. No, he is a sneaky so and so and knows one of the other neighbours who cannot fill his brand new pool would rat on him.

If he’s a sneaky so and so, maybe he’s un coupled the meter too :thinking:

A conventional setup 8.4kw per 12 hours possibly more depending on the setup . My low energy setup 2.4kw per 24 hours.

You only need full power for backwashing, 99% of the time you are in filtration so adjusting the system to maximise efficiency for the filtration cycle improves filtration by a factor of 4 and reduces the electricity consumption by up to 90% +. I took it to extremes to maximise effeciency to see how far it could go. I could go further but the additional parts cost more so currently minimal adfitional benefit.

1 Like

Wow that’s some reduction​:flushed: is that just due to pump selection? Interest continues :grin:

Sadly not or everyone would be there already. The differences however are not that great if done from inception/construction. Retro fitting is still very effective as components are swapped for better ones or adapted depending on whats there but even with a little more capital expenditure the rewards pay for themselves very quickly.

Consider the very best sand for a filter comes from Leighton Buzzard in the UK all the others are not as good, (Source Dr Howard Dryden). If the flow rate is adjusted to optimise filtation together with near optimal turnover rates (4-5 turnovers per day) filtration and therefore water quality improves greatly. If the switch is made to Dryden Aqua’s AFM which filters 4 times finer than sand, using less energy to do so each turnover removes a huge amount more contaminents but unlike sand does not allow bacteria to colonise its surface, AFM is self sterilising a major important factor not shared by other glass. The more dirt etc you remove the less chlorine you need and the less problems you have. The latest AFM ng ( new generation ) removes even more including bacteria and virus as it filters to 1 micron, sand is around 20 microns, the original AFM was 4-5 microns. I havent fitted the AFM ng version yet but I suspect I could revise power usage yet again. The low energy setup if optimised is a synergistic setup of the best low friction low energy and low cost parts. Even using the original AFM for years ( around 18 years ) pool maintenance became so simple, so low cost. I feel this approach would work even better on a lap edge/infinity pool than a skimmer pool but that remains untested.

1 Like

There seems to be some confusion or difference between areas about whether a new pool can be filled or not. In some areas if the construction started before restrictions they can be filled, but no new pool construction can start.

Around us it’s not allowed to fill or refill empty pools. It is allowed to top, for the moment anyway.

I am hoping to do a remodel of my pool as prviously said, if I can do what I want, I hope to add a 3000ltrs inground water storage tank for rainwater havesting.

Deffo NO pools can be filled of any type including above ground which have been forced to stop selling. €500 fine if caught filling anything unless it is permitted, say for animal troughs. Car washes also closed. Several communes here have refused to accept or pass any applications for inground pools for the time being in the past few weeks.

Just revisiting my last post, you will still save a good proportion of your electricity by fitting a variable speed controller to your pool pump, just not as much as the full package I mentioned previously.

1 Like

Water shortage news in the FT

http://propluvia.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/propluvia/faces/index.jsp

Two million litres…that will fill a few swimming pools

Could you list a source for a 3 phase version please?

With 3 phase you have a much better choice. You could use Invertek as previously mentioned or later I will post the details of a guy I have used several times, he is amazingly knowledgeable on various inverters. Alternative take a look around at the various options on famous auction sites or probably Amazon as well. A lot of these 3 phase drives are used by small workshop people to speed control lathes etc

Will look that up.

I’m assuming the feed to the pump will be:

Timer > Speed Comtroller > Pump.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can you fit a speed controller to a non variable speed pump. I guess not.

Yes you can, as I detailed on the noisy pump thread.

Yes you can, some may have timer shedules but if you slow your pump as I do, then youll run it for longer to filter more water but it will still use 50-60% less electricity. Some type of flow gauge should be incorporated for best usuage.
1 turnover of the water is around 63% of the water filtered. 2 turnovers 85% 3 turnovers 91% and 4 turnovers 98%. Therefore I run my pump slower to give a 6 hour turnover and 4 turnovers per day.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay had trouble locating contact details.
Pete Moss at Transwave. transwaveconverters.co.uk

No disclosures necessary from me.

1 Like