Finally getting my French driving license

The date on your card that decides whether ANTS would exchange your UK license to a French one is the date next to 4b - that is when your current UK license card expires and that presumably is 2031.
You can only exchange your UK license for a French one if it is six months or less from expiry, lost or damaged.
If you are going to now spend more time in the UK and therefore technically be resident in the UK, don’t exchange, just keep your current license.
Out of interest - What is a ‘Art 50 Tue French residency’ ?

1 Like

Big pain for you having to take up UK tax residency, re-registering your car and changing your healthcare etc.

1 Like

@Maisyday
I’m sorry if I’ve misunderstood something… but I can’t see why you have to leave France…

Obviously, if it is easier to move back to UK… fair enough… but I suspect you/we are missing some information.
Perhaps you could ask someone to check exactly what has been said to you by ANTS since (on the face of it) this situation doesn’t make any sense at all.

Might be an idea for someone to check exactly what Carte de Sejour you hold as well… surely there must be a way through this mire…

EDIT: If ANTS have said you don’t need to exchange your UK DLicense… then you don’t need to… Perhaps you have misunderstood their wording.

Based on my knowledge, and experience now - if you have a UK licence you are absolutely fine to drive in France, as you can ONLY get it exchanged for a French licence if it is either:

1)6 months or less from expiry date
2)lost
3)stolen
4)damaged ir destroyed

In summary, if you are resident in France, as I am now now, and your UK licence is more than 6 months from expiry, as mine also is, you are perfectly fine to continue being resident in France and drive with your UK licence.

Is that clear?

1 Like

I think it is all to do with covid. I claimed residency from the March 2020 but had to go back to the UK for family reasons. Due to covid lockdown I couldn’t get back until May 2021.
In the meantime while I was in the UK late 2021 my driving licence 10 year card needed renewing. So I renewed it using my UK address. Although I renewed it before the end of 2020, I think because of WFH and DVLA problems, I didn’t get my new card until Jan 2021.

I claimed my French residency before the end June 2021.

So my photo card date is after Brexit.
Rules differ for changing your driving licence depending on issue date.

So is the date on driving licence given to me 40 years ago or the date on my photo card driving licence the date they take as to whether I need to renew it within 1 year or 10 years. The rules are different.

What exactly did ANTS say to you about your License…???

Just refused I think as I didnt need one. But it is such a serious topic I need to make sure.

I read your link and I think I am ok…French site is not clear

I suspect they have refused to issue a French License as you don’t need one NOT YET. They are overwhelmed with requests, which is why the Rules for Exchange are strict.

1 Like

I might not actually have needed to apply because my licence was issued 40 years ago. It could be my error.

The confusion is my photo card is newly issued as they only last 10 years.

Hi Stella. I think you could be right.

Oh @Maisyday things will become clearer before the 10 years is up. :hugs:

You’re not alone with your worries Life in General is not easy for anyone these days.
But, seriously, moving back to UK seems a bit drastic and your License is OK so that’s one worry to tick as dealt with.

1 Like

When, actually, is your photo card out of date? I’m not sure it’s the situation, or ANTS getting confused here. If you’re french resident and have less than 6 months left on the photo card then there should be no reason you can’t exchange it. Either you’ve done something wrong in your application or ANTS have. If you behave more than 6 months left (on the photo card, the actual license date is irrelevant as far as this procedure afaik) then you don’t need to exchange it and so it would be rejected. If it was issued after 2021 I read somewhere it needs to be exchanged in a year, but perhaps the Driving license Facebook group will know more how that works.

I would like to know myself as I came here full time since last july, my uk licence was updated in Apr 21 for a uk change of address, so according to this :-
“If your UK driving licence was first issued on or after 1 January 2021
Your licence will be recognised for 1 year from the date of issue of your residency permit (carte de séjour). If you intend to stay in France for longer than 1 year, you must exchange your UK licence for a French licence during this initial 1-year period. You do not need to take a driving test.”
So section 4a says 08.04.2021
4bsays26.08.2025
10says 10.05.1976
11says26.08.2025
so can anyone tell me which is the relevant date needed 4a or 10?
as if its section 4aI have to exchange by end of next july.
if its section 10 I can wait till 08.2025?

What exactly is the expiry date on 4b on your photo licence.

Hi Stella,

Moving my residency back to the UK is an inconvenience but not unworkable. Before Brexit we spent 7 months in France and 5 in the UK.
Once everything has calmed down I will move my residency back. I am married to a French national so I have options. I also have a permanent 10 year card. Thank you so much for your help.

Lots of contradictions here and I think Maisy has got her dates mixed up, I certainly wouldn’t be changing my residency and healthcare etc so quickly.

Hi Tim,

I haven’t yet applied for a carte vitale to be honest.

Sounds like you can do more or less whatever you like… so good luck to you.

cheers

Who provides your healthcare Maisy?