Finally getting my French driving license

Hi Stella,

Yes pretty much. I just need to make 100% sure I can drive in France legally so will move my residency back for the meantime and let the dust settle.
Thank you.

Ah…no one at the moment! Back to the UK next week…

What about Carte Séjour?

Again :wink: What exactly is the expiry date on 4b on your photo licence.

I have that of course.

2 Likes

Good to hear

Sorry Maisy I don’t understand, if you have a 10 year permanent card it suggests you’ve been legally resident here for many years and would have needed a CV.

Your UK license was first issued when you passed your test - i imagine a few years back like me.
Date 4b is the expiry date of your UK license card - that is the date ANTS would use to determine whether you need to exchange or not.
As its August 2025 you cannot yet exchange it for a French one. Six months or less from expiry (currently the rule, I expect that may change).

4b is the only date that matters just now, hence why I asked Maisy.

Thanks for that peter, I can now relax a bit, Just driving licence and getting car reregistered and I have will have complied with everything to live here without breaking French laws.

Hi I will find out what 4b says…

One thing to be aware of - I carry these documents (English and French). It is the accord that was issued explaining the permission of UK license holders to continue to drive on them until the need for exchange.
There have been reports of the police being difficult (not their fault, likely not informed) and instructing UK license holders that they must exchange the license for a French one.
25-06-2021- Accord_Post_Brexit_permis_de_conduire - FR.pdf (157.5 KB)
25-06-2021- Accord_Post_Brexit_permis_de_conduire - EN.pdf (382.9 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot , I have downloaded the docs and will print off today.

4b is 20.01.31.

I think the issue I have had is the confusion between the issue l date of my driving licence and the issue date of my 10 year photo card. In France they are issued with a paper card for life. They don’t have to change it every 10 years like we do in the UK or everytime we change our address.

So you will not need to under the present rules apply for a french licence until August 2030, your licence is valid to drive legally in the UK and France until then.
So unless you want to you don’t have to move back to the UK from France because of your license, if not enjoy the rest of your life here in France.

Thank you so much…this website is great for help. Thank you all.

Sorry you are mistaken. The French, like the British, have been issued with photocard licences for a number of years. I had one 10 years ago.
Izzy x

Hi Izzy, yes, I think there is now a new licence which is renewed every 10 years like the UK one but some older licences are not subject to this change. I am taking about French citizens only.

Now the driving licence situation is sorted you can concentrate on getting a CV, it must be scary not having access to any healthcare without paying for it. :wink: