Finding an English speaking carer in France

I am urgently looking for a live-in companion/carer for my aunt who lives in a gorgeous part of the Dordogne. Does anyone know of any agencies I could contact?

Depends exactly what you are looking for: pĂ´le emploi might help, the ARS deals with carers but more medical, if you Google agence de soins Ă  domicile plus your area you might find answers.
Does the person have to be anglophone etc.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Yes s/he needs to speak English

Do you know anyone where your aunt lives? Could you go and interview people, assuming you get any candidates? Personally I’d be worried about letting someone potentially dodgy* into the home of a vulnerable person. Also don’t forget social charges etc, as presumably the person will be legally employed.

• I’d be wondering
    How are they living in France ie what is their visa status?
    Why are they happy to live in and not in their own home?
    What are their qualifications?
    Why haven’t they already got a job?
2 Likes

Hello @Jo4Dottie and welcome to the forum…

I note that you have asked for Agencies… fair enough… but also echo the thoughts of @vero .

It’s not easy, organising these things… especially if “at a distance” and I wish you good luck.

I know elderly folk can get tetchy if things aren’t done in the way that they are used to… and I’m trying to think outside the box…
It might be that the Carer can speak English, but would not necessarily know the “British” way that things are done… is that a problem… ??

1 Like

In the short terms have you contacted the assistant sociale to help make contact with the aide Ă  domicile agencies in your area? And is she recognised as in need of help by French health service? As this can be useful for things like getting taxis to appointments, meals on wheels, podiatrist coming to the house, tele-assistance, daily carers and cleaners while trying to find someone etc etc.

One member of this forum, who is unusually away this week, has a stream of carers for his wife, and two of them speak english.

There are various portals that links to service providers but how good they are I wouldn’t know.

2 Likes

Hi. If you are still looking for someone my mother used live in carers for 20+ years. The best person she ever had was a chap called Arpad. I know he is looking for work on a one month on, one month off basis (travels back to see his children in Romania). When we did this with my Mum we alternated between two people. I imagine you want someone more permanent. Happy to put you in touch if you want.

Hello I’m busy looking for someone to help with my Father in France would you be able to let me have Arpad’s contact details or ask him if he is still looking for work, we might have somone who could do the alternative months many thanks

@arpad possible work please review this thread

(@+username sends copy to the person’s email so they see it if they look at their email in case they miss the thread on the site)

PS just checked and their username is not coming up as a choice after I type @arpad so unsure if a mod can help?

That person (Arpad) isn’t a forum member, as far as I know. You would have to @KJC . Done now :wink:

Hello @tooty and welcome to the forum.

If your father is resident in France, there are a lot of ways, in the social system, by which help can be provided.

Speaking with his Doctor will possibly provide you with some useful contacts and advice…

English-speakers are becoming more available in many aspects of life here.

best of luck.

Hello my name is Sindi currently living in France Louvre 95.

Are you Officially Qualified and Registered in France for this kind of work??? or doing it under your own steam ??

Hello @Sista and welcome to the forum.

Sorry I’ve removed your contact details as direct advertising isn’t permitted on the site - and, as Stella, points out there is much bureaucracy in France regarding care activities which needs to be all sorted and above board.

However, do tell us more about yourself generally and your life in France.

My apologies I didn’t know

But Fabien and Dave Lawson advertise here? Others have too, just can’t remember names…

Were you actually meaning that you removed them for her protection as not good idea to have personal contact details on public view? Surely she can tell people that she offers a service, and that they can contact her via the site?

It was my understanding that F and DL had been “vetted and OK’d” by the SF Forum Owners… and cleared to offer products/advice etc

2 Likes

That is still “direct advertising on the site” so contradicts Billy’s statement. And there is even an advertising category!

It just seemed a very abrupt and unwelcoming response to someone who is simply looking for work.

2 Likes

It’s in the T&C

Fabien etc are agreed by @cat and @james.

1 Like

Actually, I wonder if a “small ads” category would be useful if strict criteria were met (say, one ad, limited no of lines, to include SIRET etc).

But that’s definitely down to the management.

2 Likes