First thing in the morning

Sounds delicious Mark!

hmmm place du Marché ? what hours does it operate?

Very good!

It’s the lower one of the two boulangeries opposite the mairie.

Not sure of the hours, we just go there on market days, having ordered our croissants in advance cos they’re often sold out by mid-morning.

1 Like

Surely that is a hard boiled egg??? I cook regular eggs for 3 minutes and arucana / silkie eggs for 2-2.5 depending on size!

proper, real butter croissant or the faux margarine ones and do they freeze/thaw well? How long do they keep to maintain their “freshness” after thawing?

Nope! I do it for five mins in boiling water which gives a firm white and a completely runny yoke. I’d need seven mins min for hard boiled. My eggs aren’t kept in the fridge and are pretty fresh as I buy them direct from a local producteur. It may be differences in simmering (I do it very gently). Other possiblities are differing shell thickness, altitude(!)

That is SO odd, mine are also fresh (home or bought from others) and never do over 3 and do 6 for hardboiled (I like my hardboiled on the slightly soft side though - can’t stand overcooked eggs!).

Altitude 128m :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Strange! Similar altitude

Just googled 5 minute egg and got this

https://thefeedfeed.com/hautesucre/5-minute-soft-boiled-eggs

1 Like

@toryroo @DrMarkH Into cold water? Or straight into boiling? Size of egg?

Straight into gently boiling water, neither a simmer nor a rolling boil. Don’t bother with the cold water, though it’s not a bad idea.

If you heat up from cold, the egg doesn’t crack but of course takes significantly less time once boiling

Altitude 704m and soft eggs maybe 3 minutes - very much depends how fresh they are. If neighbour gives me newly laid ones then less.

Hard boiled
depemds when I remember to turn them off :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Here’s another technique!

• Put medium eggs into cold water that just covers them. Eggs must occupy more that half of the area of the base of the pan
  • Apply full heat
  • As soon as the water boils, turn off the heat
  • For soft yolk, remove egg after 3’ 30"
  • For hard yolk, remove egg after 6’

It’s worked for me for 25 years!

Can’t beat porridge with organic banana and apple, figs, nectarine and chopped brazil nuts with honey drizzled over. Getting it all in the bowls is a challenge.

I’d want to go back to bed for another lie down after all that lot :rofl:

Edit: Although, to be fair, I do eat fruit and yogurt in the morning and hardly ever eat bread anyway

Always into cold water, as taught that your shells crack if you put them into hot water! Size, normally large to XL but as I said earlier if I have small breed eggs I go as quick as 2 minutes!

So this can explain our discrepancy in cooking times!

There are some yummy egg recipes on there!

How good does that look!!

2 Likes