First thing in the morning

ausgezeichneter alter Junge, nur das Ticket

go Colin!

has to be Marmite for me.

Mi piace una bella expresso o un cappuccino…ma preferibilmente su una terrazza da qualche parte!

1 Like

Anch’io, non bevo mai un cappuccino a casa, non è lo stesso che al bar, pero voglio spesso un buon espresso a casa e al lavoro, per fortuna posso me ne farlo uno quando voglio :grin:

2 Likes

Not un cafe! But could that be a grand creme for elevenses - maybe even with a chocolatine?

2 Likes

A grand crème isn’t that watery coffee with a bit of milk in though, it is a double espresso with milk in. I don’t eat viennoiseries but occasionally have a grand crème - I am addicted to espressi :blush:
But as Andrew says they aren’t the same in a bar, I love going to a zinc and having my coffee before going to work etc

2 Likes

Hey leave Cadbury’s alone please. I have many happy memories of that and galaxy bars. French people always telling me how infinitely superior their chocolate is! Humph! :triumph:

1 Like

2 petits cafes in a glass, the 2nd one with a small slice of wholemeal bread (batard) butter and marmalade.

If I have run out of bread, 4 Madelaines instead. :wink:

1 Like

I have a couple of cafe au laits and if I’m hungry I’ll have some toast but prefer to wait until 12 and just have 2 meals a day.

1 Like

Parisian weekends - I stayed near Notre Dame & used to get my Grand Creme with a view. And yes you are absolutely right, nothing beats a cafe at the Tabac

2 Likes

Or some of the larger boulangeries, always a lookout for me because nights out in the routiers rarely provided more than croissants/pain au chocolat/pain au raisin in the morning. Far too much for me first thing. Sadly, during my professional days with an artic, finding one and finding space to park, was all too rare. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

When I first retired (or rather began working solely from home) breakfast became an area of lengthy exploration because I no longer needed to jump in the car for an insane commute: it was a new area of exploration.

However, over the past few years it’s become an unchanging orthodox ritual (should I blame love of ritual on my elsewhere mentioned childhood Catholic upbringing?;)). I don’t know but today, my breakfast simply aims to combine quality of ingredients with practised and now unthinking, perfection of realisation. It’s a bit like being able to get treble top on a dart board every time (but tastes a lot better)

1. Freshly squeezed orange juice (amazing how the taste varies so much over the seasons).

2. Five minute soft-boiled egg with cornbread soldiers toasted on a Le Creuset griddle pan then slathered with beurre d’Isigny.

3. A croissant from the best croissant maker in Decazeville (we buy in bulk and freeze them) washed down with a cafĂŠ allongĂŠ made from high altitude Moka Sidamo beans hand ground and brewed in an Aeropress.

I do apologise if all this irritatingly reads like something from the menu of an unbearably hip, hipster menu in Hoxton (it’s true, but I think it does!). However, in mitigation, it’s really dead easy and my beard isn’t very long.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree - just started doing this.

I think that’s the first positive thing I’ve ever heard about Decazeville.

You’re unlikely to read anything more, though the Friday morning market’s both very good quality and cheap - full of local Lot Valley and Cantal producteurs (who seem to double their prices the following day in Figeac!)

1 Like

Don’t diss it, Peter, it’s as ugly as sin but the people are great. I lived there, in the town and in the area for years, my son was born there, I’ve still got friends there too. :wink:

edit, however, I must admit it’s not on my “places I’d like to move to” list :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

What I have is very dull, a pint of tea followed by several evil little cups of tar from the trusty Bialetti pot.

1 Like

Don’t diss it, Peter, it’s as ugly as sin

To be fair, it compares extremely with UK equivalents such as Barrow or Workington. And the hospital’s A&E Dept is phenomenal

1 Like

I like the area very much, it’s not too far from us but I’m always glad to see Decazeville behind me.

1 Like