Fiscal for my car


I need more help please. I took my Uk car here in 2021 and it broke down so I left it here. I have finally got it sorted but am now trying to get the car registered, I have crossed all hurdles but one is outstanding and that is the fiscal. It’s a tax on the value of the car. My car is A160 petrol from 2001 and is worth maybe £400 or maybe 450 euro. Can anybody on here help or advise as it is required to get the carte grise.

Thanks in advance,


what is the exact question in French…??? that you are needing to answer

“fiscal” could be relating to horsepower… :thinking: and that can be another can of worms
there will be a portion of tax due depending on the “power”

1 Like

The government has a useful website where you can enter your vehicle’s details and see the likely cost of your CG. Bear in mind that if you brought it over after Brexit then you’ll be liable for import duty and TVA as well - a total of about 30% of the vehicle’s value as assessed by the douanes.

The only fiscal I can think of is the quittus fiscal - a document that shows you bought the car tax-paid in another EU country so you are not liable for TVA or import duty.

1 Like

Do you mean the puissance fiscale? If so it is nothing to do with the value of the car. The easiest way to find the puissance fiscale or fiscal horsepower is to find a French spec for your car exact make model and year, and the fiscal horsepower will be stated. Eg

1 Like

Thanks, all I have been told is that I need to get paper showing that I have paid tax etc on the car. I brought the car from Uk after Brexit. The car was given to me by a friend in 2016 after she bought a new car. I paid nothing for the car, but the tax I have to pay will be based on what the french tax office calculate.

ah… perhaps your friend can provide a brief document (signed and dated)… giving vehicle details and saying “gratuit”

it’s all a new ball game and different folk have different experiences…

Make an appointment with your local Douanes. They should be able to decide on a value for the car and if you go on webuyanycar that will give you some idea of the value too. You then pay 10% duty on the value of the car and 20% TVA on the value of the car plus the duty. Eg car valued at 1000 euro duty will be 100 euro TVA will be 220 euro total 320 euro. You pay that and you get the form. They will want to see the car.


Thanks All, things may have changed. I was told today and still checking if it the following is correct. My main residence is in Uk, my rotation is 2 months in UK, 1 month in France throughout the year. I have been told that it is possible to leave the Uk plates on the car with the french controle Tecnique and french insurance and therefore I don’t need Quitas fiscal. Will be good if this is correct as it would save a lot of hassle. Still investigating.

We’ll await your up-date…
but as a matter of interest, who has told you that you can leave the car on UK plates??
This is a subject which is of interest to many other Brits with main residence in UK…
and regularly debated/chewed-over…


The owner of the controle technique. I argued the fact with him but he was adamant. :pray:t2::pray:t2:

1 Like

Provided your Insurance company is OK with the car being on UK plates indefinitely, seems you’ll be fine then…


Perhaps all well and good if the vehicle is travelling back and forth as your rotation but if left in France while you are in UK not sure your car would be legal.

That’s my thinking as well but will let you know. I’m still on a high but maybe wil be brought down soon :joy:

Having CT and Insurance are the most important things…

I’ve imported cars from the UK (2, both pre Brexit), Ireland, Italy and Germany and my insurance company, MAAF at the time, gave me six months to change the plates. Which I did within weeks. I doubt that EU insurance companies will continuously insure cars registered in another EU state, much less in a third country. Personally, I wouldn’t pay any attention to a “CT owner” beyond getting a CT and I’d enquire directly with my insurers to avoid issues on the side of the road. Hope it works out.


If you’re still a UK resident then the car has to stay fully UK-legal. That is, registered in UK, taxed in UK, MOTd in UK and insured by a UK company.

If you’re a French resident (which is unlikely given your 2month UK/1 month France regime) then the car has to be registered , CTd and insured in France.

Basically, the car must be - and remain - fully legal in the country of which you are a resident.

1 Like

Thanks John, I’m ensured with CA. Will check with them. They did say previously that I needed a carte a gris francais. CT told me what he told as he knew I only live in France less than half a year. I’m geared up for carte gris francais but if it works without then a bonus :joy:

1 Like

@Martin_O_Connor I’m sorry to be the bringer of bad news but if you carry on the way you are you’re going to be in big trouble if stopped by the police in the UK or France.

Both will claim that the vehicle and driver do not compy with the law. The penalties are severe…

1 Like

whilst immatriculation can be chewed over and over… … Insurance and proof of roadworthiness are absolute necessities …
and whatever might be delayed… while discussions take place… please don’t delay the Insurance (with full disclosure) - get that in place NOW :+1:

Frankly, if CA are saying they will insure, but you need a French CGrise… that’s it… and wins over the CT man’s suggestion…

perhaps you can find an Insurer who will let it stay on UK plates… and perhaps not… and if one does say YES make sure to get it in writing… in clear language.

Thanks, it’s already insured and is at the ct.

1 Like