Fitting a wood burner - possible in 2022?

I had thought wood burners were being outlawed, but in the Autun Brico on Saturday they had some for sale alongside the pellet stoves.

Are these still lawful? I’d really like to go down this route for our heating, though I’m open to ideas, perhaps a granule boiler in the basement, but supplemented with wood. The room we’re in this weekend has a granule stove, but TBH I’m not especially impressed, and as soon as the power goes, so does the heating.

2 Likes

You can still buy and fit them, they have been banned from installing in new builds

3 Likes

Thanks Mark

I do have one in an unused part of the house but it will need replacing as and when I get around to refurbishing. Are we allowed to replace broken ones?

Of course, the new “rules” only apply to new builds -pellet burners and heat pumps

1 Like

Ta, Mark

We have a woodburner on the ground floor and today bought a pellet stove in the sales for the middle floor (three storey house). Our wood-burner’s good but despite being open plan, it only effectively heats the ground floor and the back bedroom on the second floor(via a conduit). But our middle floor is a single room about 40’ long and seems to miss out, so today at the end of the sales we bought a pellet stove for that floor and the room directly above it (simple vent in the ceiling above the stove).

Pros and cons - not much difference in fuel costs, but although most poeles à granules needs electricity, (see below) it scores not only by being programmable and automatically regulated, but unless you’re in an urban area, the installation costs might be several thousand € less than a woodburner.

https://conseils-thermiques.org/contenu/poele-granule-sans-electricite.php

I like the physicality of the woodburner, moving and splitting logs, but I also realise there might come a time when I can’t carry a bag of seven or eight 50cm logs up the steps to the stove, and in that situation, I’d replace the woodburner with a second granule stove where one just pours a few kilos of granules in the top for the whole day.

1 Like

I think that if you have a granule stove that needs electricity to function, then it is a good idea to invest in a portable generator to maintain the power in the event of losing the mains supply. (Will keep your fridge and freezer going as well.)

1 Like

I thought It would have been quite a bit cheaper over 24 hour burning in the winter, I had thought about going to one but have such an easy access to wood I have not bothered.

Another option.
Our woodburner isn’t just nice to look at it also runs the central heating and provides all the hot water we need so is linked to various electric pumps.
If there is a power cut the pumps stop and the fire keeps going so has a valve that operates when the fire gets too hot that cools the water jacket.
To get around the problem of power cuts we have a power diverter that is linked to the heating pumps and an always charged car battery connected to the converter.
When we have a power cut we flick a switch and the pumps continue to work, and we can have a couple of lights on too.
Battery will run pump for 10 hours by which time power has usually been restored.
I should add that the installation gadgetry cost around 500 euros but would rather just flick a switch than mess around with a geny.

6 Likes

@JohnBoy That’s an innovative solution I had not considered. What size is the car battery that you use ?

It will depend on how much power the equipment requires, I was surprised recently by how much they can use.

Out and about at present, will have a look and sent photos later.

I’d also be very interested to see any pics, as I’ve been toying with how to get hot water from my woodburner, without the obvious safety issues.

1 Like

Sorry if this sounds a strange question but I presume your woodburner has an integral water jacket?

The one I currently have doesn’t have an integral jacket, but I don’t see that as a barrier as I’d plan to use copper pipe at the back of the woodburner. It’s an insert so would have the pipework within the cavity.

A few pictures.
The battery lives in a neat box on casters so no lifting to connect.
The battery is on permanent trickle charge.
In the meter cupboard there is a black box which is wired to the circuit that the pump are on. From positive and negative terminals on the black box l attach jump leads to the battery.
When connected I flick a switch on the black box and another that changes the pump circuit from EDF to the black box.
The box converts 12volts to 230v and voila - the pump keeps running.
The plug on the side of the black box is a small twin extension cable that a bedside type lamp can be plugged into.
Apologies for lack of technical names for the apparatus but whatever they are called it works a treat.

Just in case we are not at home when there is a power cut there is a heat operated valve that opens to let cold water through the water jacket to cool it and prevent them system exploding.
The cold water runs via a coil within the water jacket ie doesn’t actually mix with the jacket water, and then deposits through an overflow outside.
We have had the system 10 years and its brilliant.
We get through 16 fagots/stere of oak between October and April which provides all the hot water we need during that time.
The system automatically switches to off peak heating for hot water in the summer.
We have a large timber yard nearby that among other things process oak for barrels for the wine making industry and the surplus offcuts make perfect firewood when seasoned.
16 store costs around 550 euros so for 7 months heat and hot water it works for us.
I spend maybe 2 days stacking after delivery and then have maybe 5 x 2 hours cutting sessions over the 7 month period.
Not a good system if out working all day but when retired it is great, both the system and retirement :+1:

2 Likes

Black box = inverter. 12v dc in 240v ac out.

Thanks alot for sharing - sounds like a great system - as a matter of interest, did you buy the stove in France, as toying with the idea of buying another one, and thinking one with the jacket already integrated would be somewhat simpler?