Fitting a wood burner - possible in 2022?

The woodburner is a Broseley bought in UK when they were in EU 10 years ago, and we thought that would be forever!
I haven’t looked but feel sure there will be similar fires manufactured in the current EU.
Best to buy within the EU as parts from UK cost a fortune in shipping.
I preempted the situation and stocked up on fire lining Bricks which require replacing periodically,
Our daughter brought a recent order last summer which I suppose would have been classed as smuggling :rofl:

4 Likes

Do people burn coal in France still? Both the stove in the livingroom and the cooker in the kitchen have fire boxes far too small for wood, but which might take a small coal fire - or is there something else entirely that is used?

1 Like

By ‘new builds’ do you mean new house constructions or a new wood burner installation? We have purely electric heating in one living room (no fireplace or chimney) and had considered a wood burner as it works well in the other part of the house - and we have loads of wood!

Given how dirty coal is, in every sense, I’ll politely suggest that you should not consider it.

2 Likes

We are slightly tempted to bring a bag or 2 with us on the next visit, but it’s certainly not something that we would want to do on anything other than a one-off emergency basis. Coal is burned on a regular basis still around here, usually by the people using narrowboats on the canals, and it’s always nice to smell it.

However my question was again from the perspective of surprise. I’ve neither smelled coal smoke in France, nor seen the stuff up for sale, which was why I asked like this instead of wondering if anyone could advise where I might buy supplies.

1 Like

The big DIY shops surely have offerings of various types of small briquettes (man made, like pellets).

1 Like

New houses

Thanks Karen. We were in the Autun Bricolage Saturday and I didn’t see any, but I also wasn’t looking.

TBH I don’t want to use coal, and the fire boxes on both appliances are too tiny to be decently effective, so it would be a dumb thing to do regardless of other considerations. My next request for advice will be about how to get rid of old stoves, cookers and oil tanks (still partly filled).

Those, you load on a trailer (or if too heavy for axle of your trailer)a light flatbed truck you hire for a day from Leclerc or Carrefour if you have a branch with these vehicles hireable near you), and take to your local déchetterie who will welcome you with open arms.

Google town name and déchetterie for opening hours.

1 Like

any chance you have a photo of your cooker and/or the stove???

Remember to go to the Maire and get your déchetterie card as well, and you may as well set up your rubbish collection and get your wheelie bin as well while you are there.

1 Like

Depends on whatever rules the ComCom have where you live. Not everywhere is the same

1 Like

Have you a link to this interdiction for the poile en bois because I can’t find any mention to it

Not tremendously good, I do have better pictures on the computer. I think the solid fuel stove may have some reuse potential, but fairly sure the oil stove is gash. The cooker not in the picture likewise is probably scrap, and has a gas hob, but suspect it was only used for the electric oven.

Here’s the ornate cast iron stove in the living room, a triumph of style over substance. My parents brought over their first stove from Vienna, about the same size externally as this and we used it in the cottage for 7 or 8 years before it succumbed to metal fatigue. The entire internal space was a firebox, unlike this which has a tiny space. It would be ideal as a feature inside someone’s centrally heated house. :wink:

1 Like

We bought a similar one many years ago at a Bourse… so cheap I couldn’t resist it… it sits in a small old fireplace which has the flue closed, so it’s just ornamental… but I love it.

1 Like

Are you sure it doesn’t take wood?? It looks similar to one a friend uses in her kitchen. The wood is cut to a special size by her longsuffering OH…

1 Like

If it does then it uses tiny bits of wood - the firebox is about 1 cubic foot.

I like the floor. Is the 2nd photograph the ground floor? I’d remove the mat and show it all - hopefully there isn’t a hole or anything underneath.

The workmanship looks great and a long time ago, someone with a good eye for colour and pattern decorated it.

Is it adjoined to.another house? It kind of looks like it would be in a town quite central.

I’m a little terrified by the headless person with the yellow scarf. I would get an exorcist round with some urgency.

3 Likes

Wow that decor is so French :sunglasses::wink::grin:, big rooms as well.