Flea help please

Frelons are every where here. This is going to be a big big problem for France in the coming years with global warming. I have spotted so many queens in the last couple of weeks it it is quite freighting. Never seen so many.

But they are harmless unless you go near a nest. I prefer them to wasps to be fair.

But check your gardens and roofs to see if they are nesting.

It might save your life.

Harmless to us maybe but they decimate the native bee populations hence the concern.

1 Like

Haven’t seen a single Frelon of any variety here in the 4 years we’ve lived in this house. We’re over 400m up so I assume that they just don’t go that high ? Anyone know ?
As for wasps and bees of various varieties, we have plenty.

We used to live at well over 600m in the Creuse, and we saw loads (and got stung :rage:)

There are fleas that live in the cracks of our floorboards sometimes in the summer. We tried all sorts of products and none worked. Dh made a mix which seems to do the trick with 50% soda crystals (cristaux de soude) and 50% salt After carefully cleaning we brush it in and leave it, gets the adults then any emerging from eggs.

1 Like

I am glad!

Here may be some useful natural oil repellents

9 Scents Fleas Hate: Here’s What Works | The Natural Patch Co.

Hopefully, with your multi-pronged attack it will be fleas no more!

They do of course…but it is something we have to get used to. They aren’t going away. They have no natural predators.

I reckon quite a few people will die this year due to Frelon attacks.

They are ugly devils too, and those bright orange bits make them very noticeable. I noticed the birds had a good feed on the bodies, is that normal?

@Susannah thanks.

In fact I have just purchased 100ml of citronella and 100ml lavender oil to hopefully help ongoing with all manner of insects. I do think the peppermint oil helped last night after eye waterfall :joy: :joy:

1 Like

The “ordinary” European Frelon doesn’t harm the bees and doesn’t seek to attack humans either (in our long experience…)

We’ve often have them in the house during the summer … paying us a “flying” visit… and we simply “freeze” and let them waft back outside again… no problem.

The Asiatic Frelon is a different thing altogether… terrible for the Bees and something OH and I steer well clear of.

We’ve had both sorts in the house but only the Asiatic has been destroyed (humanely).

I agree with all of that and waft them out of the house gently, but my problem is remembering which are the Asians and which aren’t.

Crickey! I’ve shut all the windows!! :flushed:

1 Like

Ha ha… we’ve not had Frelon visitors yet this year… just the odd “ordinary” wasp… and loads of bees of course…

Shortly after our arrival we realized that we love having windows open but didn’t necessarily want all the winged whatevers… so we fitted mosquito roller blinds everywhere but for a couple of windows…
It does mean that when we long for fresh air… we can leave windows open throughout the house… and relax…

and in the early morning, we fling the huge (unmeshed) bedroom windows open , safe in the knowledge that Frelons are still slumbering… :wink:

We did the same… one of the best things we’ve purchased since arriving. We’ll leave them whenever we move house, but will buy replacements immediately.

2 Likes

That’s why I’m going on tee vee, to dispel this, and other myths. More to follow!

1 Like

Wouldn’t be without them :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow. We had a couple of enormous hornets last year here in Sussex. Came in through the patio doors at dusk. They were about 5cm (2 inches) long. Managed to steer them out again but the did look very scary !!!
Don’t know whether they were Asian or not - didn’t ask to see their visas :slight_smile:

The European hornets aren’t at all aggressive and just lumber about making a racket.

2 Likes

Dispel away, I recognise both kinds (thanks @Stella :grinning:) just can never remember which is which and would love not to feel obliged to kill both. :smiley:

2 Likes