Flea help please

Well all I can add is that ordinary Hornets that do no harm unless provoked don’t have the fluorescent orange dab on their heads like the Asian ones do. I am correct there please Rob-le-pest??

European are very yellow and BIG. Asiatic are not.

2 Likes

Spot on! :smile:

A lovely website

And quite a clear body view from Huffpost UK

IMG_2934

1 Like

Let’s b e clear on this…

The “friendly” European Frelon is big… it has many colours including red/black towards the head and several yellow segments towards the tail (see pic)

The “unfriendly… killer of Bees” Asiatic Frelon is mostly black with a yellow/orange blobby at the tail end…

anyone who gets close enough to investigate the colour of the legs… might find themselve too close to the “bad guy”… !!!

Must confess, it’s the calm way the “friendly Frelons” buzz around, their size and their obvious large yellow back half which comforts me when I look to see what on earth is invading my personal space… :wink:

2 Likes

And to think this thread started about icle tiny flees :blush:

4 Likes

Fleas and Frelons have several things in common… :wink:

Can’t stand the things personally - though more sanguine these days than in my teens or early 20’s when the sight of any wasp, much less a 5cm B52 wannabe would send me into a blind panic.

Apart from the Asian hornets which attack bees they deal with a lot of pests so I’m more live and let live these days (as long as they don’t get too close).

2 Likes

Yes, how was your night @letsmile? Hopefully not any more bites.

OH had never had any bother with being stung by wasps and bees during his life and just used to brush them off when getting stung working on old properties and on rooves where there were quite often nests. However after he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes he got stung on the top of his foot by a wasp and within half an hour developed a severe lifethreatening reaction saved by the local doctor to whom I dashed him up there in the car and more or less barged in. After that he was warned to be very careful and I cannot help but think it had something to do with the type 2 disease, does make you think!

Frelons Asiatic are quite harmless. They pose no threat to you if don’t disturb their nest.

They are quite docile. They don’t bother me……wasps do. And flies. Frelons live their own lives and will pass you by. Dont go near a nest though.

Birds or any other creature will attack you if you if you disturb their nest.

The problem with these frelons is that they kill bees.

The queen Frelon is huge BTW. You can’t miss it because it looks and sounds like an airship. Its huge……and very slow.

We have several Bee Keepers locally… being chemical-free around here… and we enjoy the delicious product of their friendly Bees and do everything we can to ensure that this continues…

Perhaps those who are not involved with Bees… see Asiatic Frelons in a different light… and that’s fair enough…

Guilty as charged. My preference for dealing with hornets, regardless of their origin, involves this…

say-hello-to-my-little-friend-flamethrower

2 Likes

There’s something unnerving about stepping naked from the shower and hearing that low-pitched buzzing coming from behind you…

The only good hornet/frelon is one that’s somewhere else.

3 Likes

@Gareth thanks for asking - it was fortunately another bite free night thank the lord! What great advice from @Wozza :+1:

I’ve still been hoovering like mad and removing clothes 2x per day and washing.

And finally, today is fogger day as will be going out later this afternoon so it allows me to let it work its magic for two hours before coming back and hoovering once more!

I am praying that it will be the end of it after all this. In the meantime, also purchased more salt and some of that ‘earth’ stuff to put in corners etc. Hasn’t been a cheap excercise, but willingly paying to hopefully solve the issue.

8 Likes

Could it have anything to do with the sudden influx of Frelons into the thread? :thinking:
Whatever the cause I am pleased that things are looking up though. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hopefully today will have been the last major day of effort culminating in the ‘foggers’. In total I let off four. All very straightforward. You simply hoover before setting them off, make sure all doors and windows are closed and then actually set them off. You then wait 2 hours before re-entering the house. With the foggers I purchased it didn’t say anything about opening windows/doors to ventilate, but I did. As per instructions, I then hoovered again. I found the odd insect but not many, and there also wasn’t any strong odour, so now just hoping it’s effective.

The big question is, do I go to bed yet again looking like I’m about to kick off on a triathlon, or not??? At some point I need to restore business as usual, but is tonight too. soon. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

We have already covered that one earlier in the thread but thanks for posting.

Well, the good news is that three consecutive nights and no more bites, so praying I’ve finally managed to eliminate the critters!

For anyone who has the great misfortune to go through what I’ve just been through, below are the pics of the products that I used - the spray for isolated areas, the house fumigator and the ‘earth’ stuff for sprinkling in corners and any awkward edges and cracks + doorways. On top of this, I washed clothes and bedding too numerous times to count and hoovered like a mad man!

8 Likes

Thank you I’ll bear all that in mind for future use which I hope never comes. BTW are you naked again yet, if it isn’t too rude to ask, or still wrapped up like a Christmas present?

1 Like

Well I bottled out of naked last night :grin: but plan to be tonight, so some trepidation :scream: haven’t seen anything crawling/hopping around at all yesterday and today :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: the proof of the pudding………… 193cm and something almost microscopic creating havoc with me - crazy :joy:

2 Likes