'Flight Shame' - Legionella - water safety

Ha ha… with all the water coming down at the moment - we should never, ever again, have a hosepipe ban, :rofl::joy::upside_down_face:

France is a large country with varying water sources. I reckon most areas have a ban at some time or another. I’m sure you will work out ways of saving what comes from above (if it doesn’t drown you first) :dizzy_face:

Funny you should say that…Have 2 water butts will travel…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alas Stella despite all the rain it is doing nothing to replenish the nappe phréatique here in the Indre…

I have noticed that the storm drains (put in place in 2012) now take away all the rainwater.

Previously this water would have served/flooded the gardens/ponds/fields around the village.

Thus the ground water no longer receives this bounty. It is whisked away to the river down in the valley, then out to sea.

Then, during a hot summer, we are told of drought conditions and restrictions are placed on us drawing water from our own wells/lakes/ponds (whatever)

Brill explanation Helen

Helen,
Thank you for your most informative post.
Could you clarify one point please in that when you say 60 degrees at point of delivery, do you mean at the basin / bath / sink tap, or at the point in the pipework where the hot water leaves the heating appliance ?
I ask for the sake of clarifying a point of safety, as according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, most adults will suffer third degree burns if exposed to water at 60 deg C (140 F) for only 6 seconds. https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/5098.pdf
Thanks.

Hi Robert. The ACOP states that the water should be stored at 60 degrees or higher and distributed at 50 degrees or higher. Thermostatic mixing valves should be used to avoid the scald risk.

Does that help?

I think it is worth pointing out for the purposes of reassuring folks who are concerned, that in the Technical Advice referred to by the ACOP (Approved Code of Practice) published by the Health and Safety Executive, it states that in the case of a small water system such as is found in a dwelling house, the overall risk of Legionella is low due to the high turn over of the water in the system, provided that each water outlet point is used at least once per week. With a direct pressure fed system, this already low risk is further reduced by the absence of a cold water storage tank necessary for a gravity feed system, and so the overall risk becomes negligible.

3 Likes

I hate basins where you have to push the plug itself down to block the hole - because you have to put your hand into the water to push the plug again - so it pops up and lets the water out. :open_mouth:

Apart from being a nuisance if you’ve already used handcream, therein lies a risk of accidental scalding… IMO.

I like the gadget behind the taps :hugs:

We used to have them in our gites bathrooms, but a lot of (non french) hadn’t a clue how to use them properly, bent and broken bits, plugs missing or jammed in. We put the round swivel type plugs that can’t really be taken out.

@Mark Do you have to put your hand into the water to remove/swivel the plug ?

great reply from Helen, thanks.
This is not an area which i am particularly interested in but I have ofter wondered about the following and perhaps Helen can give me a simple answer:
Although my hot water supply is set at about 60°C, between it and the tap there must be a range of temperatures ranging from 60 to perhaps 20° so i am wondering why we don’t continually get Legionair’s problems?

Geoff - I thought @Robert_Hodge 's post explained that point … :thinking: something to do with the difference between French and UK plumbing/heating set ups etc …

Take a look at it …

Hi Geoff. There are many reasons why (thankfully!) you don’t get legionella. You may not have any bacterium in your water to start with (hurrah), you have sufficient turnover of water to negate the risk of biofilm, no dead legs in your system for water to congregate in. If you are concerned, you can get your water supply tested.

I think Robert Hodge and I should set up our own legionella consultancy :grinning:

The French normes state the maximum temperature at the Robinette is 41c so everyone should have blending valves as close to the tap as is possible.

Yes, just push one side to tilt and the water drains. Only in the bathrooms, so you’ve probably already got your hands in the water anyway.

Ha ha… my point is that I don’t like putting my hands into water …just to remove the plug. Seems daft IMO but many folk seem quite happy to do just that. Friends who use them seem to be happy, even when they are putting their hands into someone else’s dirty water (on occasion).

Whatever happened to the good old plug on a chain.

3 Likes

Still the most practical option in my opinion.