Flowers pictures

6 Likes

These are orchids - taken in the botanical garden of Singapore

Absolutly differents than what we are used to ! Lovely :heart:

Something delicate from yesterdayā€™s day out in the Dordogne. .

7 Likes

Foxglove on the edge of my ā€œfieldā€ā€¦x :slight_smile:

7 Likes

We Love them too Helen, sourced the seeds in the wood :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wonder what the markings inside do to attract pollinators? :thinking:

Iā€™m not sure but theyā€™re so fascinatingly prettyā€¦I usually get random yellow ones too but they havenā€™t come up so far this yearā€¦I donā€™t know what foxgloves are called in Frenchā€¦???

1 Like

Gant de renardā€¦:wink:

1 Like

Exactement ! :+1:

1 Like

We call them Gant de Notre Dame in french, why Notre Dame ? No idea !

4 Likes

Digitale, I donā€™t personally know any more vernacular names, but that is probably just because you donā€™t really get them on my home bit of CĆ“te dā€™Azur.

1 Like

That would make senseā€¦in homeopathy the foxglove is a heart medicineā€¦

Digitalis is the Botannical name for the plant. I once had a friend (no longer of this earth) who insisted on using the Latin name for all plants. It avoids a lot of confusion but is difficult to remember as the names are sometimes too long ! :scream:

2 Likes

I actually prefer the botanical names and have used them since I was tiny because thatā€™s how I was taught them and it makes things a lot simpler when you are navigating in several languages :blush:

4 Likes

Bravo, wish I had been pushed in the same direction, much more difficult to learn when one is older. You are still just a wee young thing Vero ! :wink:
Edited because that comes across as patronising and I donā€™t mean it like that. Goodness me, someone who has 5 girls and does as much as you do is certainly no wee young thing, sorry Vero !

1 Like

Iā€™m envious. I enjoy seeing the foxgloves when I venture into the Limousin but they just donā€™t grow around here. Iā€™ve got some garden flowers which grow with very similar bells but are in a variety of other colours and they are just not the same.

1 Like

When I was driving out of my little lane today I spotted a tall solitary white foxglove on the grass verge to a neighbouring farmā€¦Iā€™ll walk the lane tomorrow and see if I can take a close up photoā€¦it certainly looked like a foxgloveā€¦got me wondering nowā€¦x :slight_smile:

You do get white foxgloves. Before moving to France I took them for granted because they always grew around where I lived. There are none in my local area.

2 Likes

They are lovely weeds here. Growing everywhere ! Iā€™ve always been told by my mum and dad that they are deadly poison ! Always wach your hand after touching them ! After a bit of reseach, it is the roots that are dangerous. But they are used for heart medication !

1 Like