Flu jab after flu?

Given that we have rip-roaring flu at the moment. Do we also need a vaccine this winter? Or are we already protected?

Have you been tested for flu? Might be worth doing - perhaps see if local boots will do nasal swab? There are so many respiratory virus’s around that you could have just about anything, which won’t protect you from other things at all.

Probably best to talk to your Doctor or Pharmacist. The type of Flu that you have at present may not be the same strain as the vaccine will help protect against.

Vaccines are designed to provide immunity against a range of strains (every year the WHO produce a list based to an extent on what happened in the southern hemisphere during their winter).

I’d get vaccinated, but maybe leave it a month or 2 to let things settle down.

1 Like

I was wondering if it was COVID, or is that too last year?

How can one tell? Seems to me like classic flu symptoms.

Loss of sense of taste? A COVID test would tell you.

Certainly no loss of sense of taste

1 Like

I never lost my sense of taste. It did feel like bad flu and the test confirmed COVID. Mind you it disappeared as fast as it arrived but maybe that’s just me being a bit younger

For the first time this year on TF1 last night there was an advert for the pneumonia jab if you have respiratory or immune system problems with your health; One of my BIL who is a survivor of Non Hodgkins had both flu and pneumonia jabs at same time and collapsed at the wheel of his 40 ton lorry as it had an adverse effect and caused his heart to beat differently.

Yes, why not totally overwhelm your body :roll_eyes:

Exactly and he made sure the surgery nurse was informed as soon as he left hospital. He ended up having to have a pacemaker fitted and 18 months off work until cleared by the DVLA

There’s a flu type bug going around at the mo’, in the UK. My OH had it last week, only lasted 3/4 days but he wasn’t feeling great, very tired and loads of snot. I seriously can’t remember the last time he had a cold.
A few of my neighbours have it at the moment, not all symptoms are the same, some have bad sore throats, others coughs but all clearing up quite quickly,
Must be the after shock of having a decent summer, for a change :wink:

Get a test!

Un test combinĂ© est disponible en pharmacie sans ordonnance. Il permet de dĂ©pister la Covid-19, la grippe et la bronchiolite (virus respiratoire syncytial ou VRS) Ă  partir d’un seul prĂ©lĂšvement dans le nez. Il existe en deux versions : la version “autotest” Ă  rĂ©aliser soi-mĂȘme (par un enfant lui-mĂȘme Ă  partir de 6 ans sous la supervision d’un adulte ou par un adulte chez le jeune enfant Ă  partir d’un mois). La version “TROD” (Test Rapide d’Orientation Diagnostique) qui doit ĂȘtre rĂ©alisĂ© en officine, Ă  l’hĂŽpital, dans un cabinet ou un laboratoire par un pharmacien, un mĂ©decin, une infirmiĂšre ou une sage-femme. L’arrĂȘtĂ© du 21 mai 2024 a confirmĂ© cette possibilitĂ© pour les pharmaciens, mĂ©decins, infirmiĂšres et sages-femmes.

I was due for the pneumonia vaccine this morning, but it was cancelled at the last minute. I’ve a long history of nasty respiratory infections, and appreciate anything that might hold them off.

Too much exposure at work?

Not that I know of - the last time I was in contact with live flu in the lab was probably '82 or '83 when we grew it in eggs. I had pneumonia a couple of years after moving up to Oxfordshire in 1990, and had been having bad chest infections before and after that. I tend to get one infection in October or November and then another in May or June.

Something strikingly noticeable is how humid it is. Our living room is around 75% at 20 degrees. Stuff outside takes an age to dry unless we have unusually dry weather - I think our living room actually dropped a touch below 50% during peak heat this summer. At the house in France everything was simply dryer, apart from the occasional ‘stram bath’ day.

1 Like

Yesterday, I had to stop working in the garden as I found it too humid.

2 Likes

Likewise here in London, dehumidifier running indoors to dry the clothes. It’s not surprising as the warm air holds more moisture hence the relative humidity level which is not the true actual humidity.

I understand, but it’s felt really damp here ever since we got home 8 days ago, and in broader regard after growing up in London, Oxfordshire was just so much more humid.