Food from "Back Home"

Sorry - just get on and make them yourself! I miss being able to go out for the delicacies.

@Heather - I sometimes find proper cottage cheese in the dairy section of Carrefour but it is a bit hit and miss. Also found it, just the once, in LIDL...

Completing on our new house in France on Friday, whilst not going to be in France all the time you lot have got me worried, no fish n' chips, curries and the ribena...!

MacSween's haggis, 'real' Indian food (not vindaloo, madras and such things), good SE and E Asian food, Fitzbilly's Chelsea Buns, kippers, mealie pudding and fresh milk.

New York style bagels, Maine lobster, little neck clams, artisan beers from Colorado, New Jersey and Pennslyvania, small vineyards’ wines from Washington State, Oregon wines, real fried chicken, New Jersey pizza (best in the world, haha), cornbread.

There's a great Indian restaurant in Bergerac...run by English speaking Indians...which is also take away. And Chinese /Vietnamese restaurants in St Foy la Grande...and Libourne. In Eurasia near Auchon in Bordeaux you can buy all the spices fresh greens and mixes for all Asian foods...worth a visit.

Can't say I miss anything...except perhaps sour cream...and a good cottage cheese.

This is not really a food but i miss rybena none of the french blackcurrent drinks come close.after that is a good old fashioned cafe style fry up

funny thing this as i cant really say i miss it until this question is asked and then think it would be nice to have a certain food or particular item , agree with the others who mention Indian food and although spices etc are available its more the takeaway version with no cooking involved i miss.

dumplings no problem - google Jamies dumplings and its so easy to make your own,cant recall the quantity but plain flour and butter in equal quantity (or other fat) raising agent sachet and water / mix /shape/ cook & eat .

re the photo why do people eat like that ! its just so american and wrong ...

Has anyone got an (idiot proof) Cornish pastie recipe? Please......

@Jerry - both wheatflour and maize tortillas are available in most supermarkets in the "foreign food" section.

Véronica - what a mixture of flavors - Vietnamese/Chinese ? Scottish for sure. Italian ?

It all sounds very tasty though

I miss Mexican, Cuban, Scottish and really good hot chicken wings - yummmmm

Even though i do not live fulltime in France yet, I do miss my regular fix of Tex-Mexican food when I am there. My spouse is Mexican-American so we bring the proper spices over to our home in France so we can attempt to make it ourselves. The only problem is that we have to make the tortillas by scratch instead of buying them pre-made.

Just did my version of chips in the oven - more wedges really and two free range eggs.........put them on two burgers (steak hachés, but that doesn't quite have the right ring about it) and home made pickled onions and tomato sauce. Not bad...........used the pickling vinegar on the "chips" too!

Easy! Indian and Thai food,really miss the flavours and colours.

traditional cornish pastie from the pastie shop chain in the high street. However, I discovered a medium one is now nearly a fiver! rip off, need to make some.

Ashamed as I am to admit it, I miss good old fish and chips - chips from the chippy are nigh on impossible to replicate at home. *sniffs again*

Hi i miss fish and chips but st malo do a great one with mussy peas ,so i get my fix there

Beef stew and dumplings, fish & chips and Sunday Roast....as I'm on my own, its simply too much hassle to make any of them for one! :$

phó, thit Kho, bun Cha, haggis, kippers, mealie puddings, pissaladière, socca and soupe au pistou. Some of my favourite childhood food.