French citizenship - anyone going through it now?

it seems that the most recent discussion on this topic was some two years ago so I am bringing it up again. I am thinking of going for it. Has anyone done it recently?
I know it will take a long time but don’t see that as a great problem, I am happy to plod through the paperwork. What are the thoughts of those of you who have started the process?
cheers

Keep me posted svp as I am thinking the same.

Got my nationality earlier this month :champagne::clinking_glasses:

Took about three years, as I already had a French diploma. As that is essential now for everyone as there is no age exemption. Some areas shorter and some longer, as very much depends on préfecture.

However I think you have only recently returned to France? As any break in residency means you have to start the 5 year period again. So are you eligible? (Edit: I think I am mixing you up with someone else, whoops!!)

Then how complex it is depends on how complex your family situation is, and how easy it easy to get the documents you need. If your history is UK based then no big problem, especially if not too much of a blended family.

What you should do is check your préfecture requirements first. Some do online applications, some don’t. And some will give you a slightly different list of documents than the national website. That will give you an idea.

Then sort out getting the French certificate or diploma, as booking tests can take a while too.

But it is straightforward, if somewhat frustrating as communication is generally nil, so you have no idea of progress until the final stages.

3 Likes

Félicitations, Jane :champagne::clinking_glasses:

Nothing seems to have changed since the last discussions/threads ; long process, 3.5 years for me with a “dossier en béton”, french bac +4, french oh and kids etc. As Jane says, you need 5 years residency (with proof) before you apply :thinking:
Bonne chance :wink:

1 Like

My husband is currently waiting to hear …. We went for the interview in march this year and were told to wait for 1 year. We have been in France for the past 5 years but he started the process after 3 years. He obtained his language diploma and the long list of documents. The interview was quite tough with questions on the republican values and our family situation.
As far as I could gather they try to ascertain if you have any dependants back in the uk (whether parents or children) because once you are french you cannot split family and then could quite legitimately get your family over here which can prove to be a burden for the state.

“We” went for the interview? So are you French and he is applying by marriage? The interviews are said to be much easier with more about your family situation and less about history, geography etc. As you can’t be refused by marriage unless they uncover a very serious issue. Family reunification visas are quite strict tho’, as can’t just be any member of the family.

Hi all,

I recently obtained French nationality too (December 2020) having applied back in April 2019 (I’ve lived here since 2004).
I think the pandemic probably slowed matters down somewhat although in hindsight 20 months doesn’t seem that long.
Everything went quite smoothly - luckily I benefitted from the experience of several friends and colleagues who went before me.
Would be happy to help out if anyone has questions.

Good luck to those going for it!

Kate

5 Likes

20 months is fast, mine was over 3 years pre-covid. I think a lot depends on where you are; Midi-Pyrénées has one big immigration centre in Toulouse and the whole “ex-région” has to go through there and they’re so stretched.

Bienvenue au club :wink:

Mine was 14 months out of marseille I assume that I was really lucky or knew the right people😀

1 Like

Depends when it was. Things were faster years ago apparently, and also pre-Covid. Marseille is now one of the slowest.

december 2020

I’ve still got 3 years to wait before I can do it, but will be doing so once I can.

1 Like