French citizenship for over 60

I’ve been a Tranny owner driver for coming up 50 years, had loads of them and loved um all. Couldn’t bare to be without my tranny when I retired so now our camping car is a Tranny.

Maybe I am splitting hairs here but it was not suggested the *** wife was the wife of anyone in particular except a president and it was left to the readers to make their own interpretation of it. Anyone not familiar with the article you have highlighted, would not know who the poster was referring to. Just a thought I had.

1 Like

You do know that La Pen would remove a lot of rights, including health care, social security benefits and others from people who have acquired citizenship? For her to be French you have to be born French. Frankly you are either a provocative troll, an arrant knave, a fool or all three.

1 Like

would that include those with dual citizenship and healthcare covered by an S1?
I’m not certain of the figures, but is France a net benefiter from the funds collected from HMG under the S1 arrangements? (IIRC a standard fee against each pensioner is collected whether or not a service is performed) :thinking:

2 Likes

I think that on first use of the health service on getting an S1, France can draw a fixed amount (several thousand euros) from the UK government fund set up for that purpose. That amount is then deducted each time the service is used and then when it drops to or past zero, another chunk is withdrawn. Read it somewhere a few years ago, but can’t find the reference now.

3 Likes

I’m not certain of the mechanics of it either, hence the way I worded it. I too read something some years ago but like you, can’t seem to find a definitive and quotable official reference to it.

1 Like

See? This is the sort of thing I come here for! Very interesting chat @hairbear @graham, and no one’s popped up telling you what you can and can’t say either lol, carry on chaps, I’m learning!

1 Like

Previously Glenn has indicated that he is aware his views are not mainstream on SF and not only does he agree that the cap fits, he is proud to wear it.

Fiscally it would make little sense but this *is* Le Pen we’re talking about

At least her policy is not as bad as her father’s who would have gone back three generations to turf the immigrants out.

However - even for Le Pen if people are working and paying their cotisations how can she justify withdrawing healthcare?

The right wing political concern is not a few hundred thousand retired people from neighbouring countries, but the 3 million plus young immigrants from Africa.

1 Like

@JaneJones
Yes - but the few hundred thousand dual nationals from non EU neighbouring countries could end up being bycatch. Plenty of potential collateral damage.

5 Likes

watch this space perhaps?
Shades of “there will be no border down the Irish sea” and “an oven ready deal” :wink:

I don’t know the metrics but is there a reciprocal arrangement there and do the “young immigrants” impact as much on French healthcare cost wise?
Whilst on the subject, it occurs to me that if the S1 system is reciprocal between the UK and France, UK pensioners possibly have a bigger impact on French Health care than younger French Nationals residing in the UK in work…

2 Likes

Sure, but one (not you obvs) needs to recognise our insignificance to higher powers and not keep thinking we should be considered as more important than others.

2 Likes

I remember saying exactly this way back when Brexit had just happened and was heralding the new dawn of general marvellousness

1 Like

may be that your earlier comment has remained in my consciousness then @vero - obviously powerfully put then as now :wink:

1 Like

A fact very much lost on one MP during the Brexit debate - unfortunately I forget who.

As an aside this demonstrates why Google can be a terrible tool for research because its responses are biased towards recent news and what the current most popular searches are - so any attempt to look up “reciprocal healthcare payments” brings back lots of hits on, say EHIC, but nothing much from the 2016 timeframe.

Why?

All the various holders of S1’s are roughly covered cost wise by their original countries. Young workers will be paying for themselves in whatever country they are in. In general they will be making a positive contribution to the economy.

I think the system for S1 used to be a fixed amount per head, but I remember reading somewhere that it is now based on actuals as have the systems to do this. No idea if this is the case.

I said

Like you, I don’t know the answer - who does?
A definitive reference would be very useful and that is what I was seeking.

National economies are largely closed systems, work moves money around - it does not contribute new money to the system.

That comes from a) debt b) governments creating money and c) money from outside (assuming a positive balance of payments - which the UK does not have).

That said having more people working in (and borrowing in) an economy does increase general economic activity - which is usually held to be a good thing.

Prior to Brexit the UK was a net importer of young working people - who have low healthcare costs wherever they are and a net exporter of pensioners who have high healthcare costs.

The result is a net eflux of healthcare spending - we will always spend more on servicing S1 healthcare costs for the (large) number of UK retirees who have gone in seek of a more pleasant climate and more relaxed lifestyle than the (smaller) number of EU retirees who choose the UK for their twilight years (post Brexit I could see that number approach zero).

Post Brexit I think (as above) the imbalance will be greater on the retiree front, and our imported workers will tend not to come from Europe.

Exactement Elizabeth, au moins il y’a quelqu’un qu’a compris ce que je disait! :wink: