French (cultural) shocks: my top 3 (4)

There's so much in France that 'cannot be said' which is not healthy. It doesn't stop people thinking it and only listening to their own opinions. It's about time France stopped being precious and got real.

In my classrooms I tell my students that in my class you can say whatever you want, as long as it is respectful. There are no banned words, you're in NZ now and this is a safe space to speak your opinions. After a semester my students still struggle with this as the debates are silent, individual ones. Everyone is too scared to say what they mean or it might be a punishable crime (my French boyfriend would never speak his thoughts outside his home or risk, he says, ending up in jail). I'm not alluding to any one issue.

The rara over Charlie Hebdo and freedom of the press is a joke and hypocritical when the rest of France is anything but free to express. This situation is not encouraging dialogue its perpetuating hate and ghetto thinking.

Well said Peter - completely with you. The unbelievable pressure to conform in France is pretty much throughout society - it's almost clone-like. Just look around and observe on a daily basis - I've got loads of examples if anyone would like them?!

If we 'conform' it makes people feel more comfortable - bless them. Just watch the heads turn next time you talk in English in your local supermarket (or any public area) - sometimes they whip around so quickly it makes their eyes bulge!! Go on - try it out today - it's such a giggle....:-)

"Because they want to make a home here"...etc

No, they don't want to make a home here. They come here, or wherever they are accepted to escape tyranny, torture, death, starvation etc. They have no great allegiance to France, Germany, UK or indeed wherever they end up. These are, for the most part qualified people as you say and have been lucky enough to have enough money to escape their countries.

Yes, we should show compassion, help them rebuild their lives and we should teach them French but we shouldn't ram French culture, whatever that is in these pleuralistic times down their throats.

Yes, help them as much as possible but more importantly destroy the evil which has driven them from their lands and then return them to their roots to rebuild their countries and their lives.

Because they want to make a home, here, bring their families, get jobs, a lot of them have better degrees than I have, but the block is the language and culture problem. They cannot do this without speaking, imagine a doctor, or architect, or even a lawyer, who wants to work in a country and he cannot speak to the folk around?

These people do not want to go on the social, they want to contribute. I taught here, without my degree being recognized as a volunteer, because I felt it my duty. When you go to someone’s home you try and make friends, help with the cooking and the serving and share their pleasure. That’s what we should all be doing. We are not preaching, we are teaching. Started a new subject I see!

For goodness sake Anne - haven't the poor refugees been though enough without having to learn French and French culture? Why can't you just accept them for what they are - human beings. Why do they have to confirm to your way of life just to make them 'acceptable' for their bloody 'papers'. Give them a real chance without being pious and preaching to them about how lucky they are....

Makes my blood boil...... :-(

In thailand they would call us 'farang' all the time.

very disturbing.

I never had any feelings of being treated as a etranger in France.

Quiet honestly my encounters have been very positive.

People make a bit of a fun on my accent but have also at times complimented.

So said: Among many countries I have lived i find france to be the most "foreign-friendly".

You would be surprised at the xenophobe feeling you may run in some asian or southamerican countries.

Its either 'gringo' 'farang' or any like that.

Tell Simon: what are your reasons worthy being an étranger ? :)

Hilarious pic Valerie, ha ha

I'm going to train hard on the gallic shrug :)

I lost me previous reply! Thanks for the advice, I was born in London, have done two trips round the world regularly visit the states etc. France is now my adopted country. I am a French national. I am fed up with people complaining about life here, if you don’t like it leave!

At present I am helping my church and my commune together, to get refugees settled. We are teaching them French and French culture so that they can get their papers, they have been through hell and high water to find security in Europe. They are not either France or Europe “bashing” but trying to join in.

Pleas all Brits who read this help these poor folk, they speak a bit of English and that goes a long way even though they find themselves in France…(and don’t criticize the Calias camps either).

Keep talking!!!

Anne luvvie - you need to get out more! I mean, out of France :-)

Oh David - couldn't agree more - I just love being an 'étranger' in France...for many reasons probably worthy of a new discussion ;-)

Peter - you've not been unlucky - it's the norm in these parts. The locals tuck into the mainly Gascon beef like it some kind of nectar from Heaven. It's not. Poor things don't know any better. It's never been hung and is mainly supplied to Michelin. On a positive note - the duck is pretty damn good....:-)

Yes but still etranger and proud of it!

Jeanette - France most definitely is a police State - it stems from being occupied during WW2 - sadly loads of baggage and mistrust from that.....

Rosie, it is the law, so they check ID for everybody since they aren't suppose to discriminate, or guess your age. I always get "carded" when I buy liquor when in Illinois

This is prime Limousin beef Simon. Ok, not up there with Aberdeen Angus maybe but excellent all the same.

I was up in Normandy in october and I asked the local butcher for some steak and he offered me Blanc Bleu Belge which he said was as good as Limousin. I reckon ten hours cooking wouldn't be enough for that !

I was thinking about your area earlier and came to the conclusion that i've never had a decent meal in Foix or environs. Have I been unlucky ?

Well that explains that then! I wondered why it was still like chewing an old wellie after cooking for 'only' 4 hours.

I googled 'french shrug' and images came across this .

isn't it what you mean? :D

Peter - most French meat needs to be cooked for at least 5 hours in the crockpot before fit for human consumption....

You haven't come across the Gallic / Mediterranean shrug!? I'm horrified. The slight tilt of the head to the side while simultaneously raising the shoulders and emitting a blow of air from between the lips/teeth that sounds remarkably like "pfft" or "tfff"? Classic. In Malta it was usually accompanied by a look of either superiority or disdain as well. Perhaps that was because I was the Inglizza, lol.

Love your photo. Here's one with a "How to do it" list as well!! ![See original image](upload://euwShCVHITmYfZh7or3swTHNSOX.jpg)

Funny creatures humans are. :)

400 words per minute is awesome but certainly tiring too. My friend was talking so slow but very loud. He needed the full attention in order to reach a sentence everyone was baffled if he had taken some things...

The speaking in EMM .... not the best in a restaurant.

But clearly he is a nice guy. Just at a certain point I had to tell him to "straighten up".

What do you mean by pffft and shrug? Something I may have not yet seen