French Local Elections - any news

Also what happens to communes who elected everyone in first round, but need to hold a meeting to confirm who is to be mayor. And meetings are not allowed. Do they stand in a field and shout at each other?

Presumably the new teams do not take office until the second round has been completed.

They could, but they could use Zoom, it’s easy.

We knew here in Trivy who was standing to be Mayor. Mind you there are only 270 in our Commune.
It is not now so easy to get someone to stand as with the ComComs there is additional paperwork and less autonomy and we are very lucky to have someone with her capability.

As they didn’t have a definitive result in our commune, I’ve just been told that I’m still on the council until after the 2nd round.

1 Like

Despite everyone being voted in in the first round the meeting last night to confirm the mayor was cancelled. They had planned to hold it in a very large room, so could be metres apart from each other but were told this was not possible, and neither was a virtual meeting.

So now we have the ex-mayor still officially in place despite the fact that he has moved 40km away and will do precisely nothing, and the new mayor who is itching to get going sitting on his hands. Not really very helful in a time of crisis.

Jane… it is nationwide… the elections are not over… until they are over… :rofl: :wink:

I’m not saying we are in any way unusual. Just that it seems barking mad not to flex the rules a tiny bit so that the decision about who should be mayor can be done virtually rather than having to have a meeting. And then thousands of communes can carry on normally instead of being in a muddle.

I’ve not yet got a clear answer, but normally April is the time to set and agree the years budget. As I see it, the existing conseils can set and agree the budget (with local tresor approval), but it will be the new maire/conseil municipal who have the responsibility for its implementation after the June 2nd round.

Can see that working really well…not

Our budget was set at the very last council meeting of the “Old Guard”… at the beginning of March…

However, whilst money was set aside in the budget to cover previously agreed expenditure/projects… there is enough flexibility in various sections to allow the incoming council to go ahead with their own ideas as well… and… all this is without the need to raise the local taxes !!! which gives the new council a good start :hugs:

and the icing on the cake… the outgoing Maire has since been re-elected… phew… yippee… (despite 3 listes)

NB: the main reason for doing the budget was to ensure that the money for agreed-projects was ring-fenced… which meant any new council could not stop the work continuing/completing… :shushing_face:

My lot’s done and dusted… only had 3 seats left to contend… the count went smoothly and the favourites romped home…

Drinks and nibbles have been downed in great quantities (hic…) and everyone is very happy… :woozy_face: :woozy_face:

1 Like

I think this is… or will be… working… tap in the name of your commune… in the box with the magnifying glass… and press “enter”…

just seen we only had a 39% turnout for the 2nd tour… but we did have a terrific turnout for the 1st tour… 79%

I did my last stint/last conseilleur municipal stuff at the bureau de vote this morning . Only 2 seats to contest, outgoing maire came last. Turnout was about 84%, same as for the 1st round.

2 Likes

Excellent turnout… shows the people mean business… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: