French Motorways / Toll/Tag system

We often move ours from car to car depending on who is driving what where. Never occurred to me to inform anyone and never had any problems. Hope this helps ! X

2 Likes

I use my single Ulys tag for 2 different cars, a motorbike and a hired van. I never let them know I’m using a different vehicle and have experienced no problems at all, with the correct charges appearing on the bill each time.

2 Likes

You should be able to do a virement ie money transfer, from your Fr bank account, to pay tradesmen online

I haven’t come across an autoroute toll company that will allow payment by credit card for a tag account. The two I have used both needed a direct debit mandate (prélevement) from a French bank account so you should be fine…

I have ATMB and APRR tags with the monthly charges taken from a UK credit card registered with them. Credit cards can also be used for payment at the tolls on the autoroutes.

UK drivers can obtain ‘badges’ (tags) direct from the autoroute concessionaires using a UK credit/debit card for payment thereby avoiding the extra charges involved with using a UK based supplier.

Do these tags have to be yet another thing fixed to the windscreen or can they be left on the dashtop? I have always avoided peages in France and elsewhere wherever possible, never found the need or inclination despite doing very high mileages and excepting the time when I was working driving a lorry and the boss insisted on quicker journey times.

At that time I always went under a sort of octagonal overhead sign and pushed the card I had directly into the machine. It worked for all autoroutes in France and I never used them in Italy, Belgium or England.

And can you use these tags on all French motorways, whichever organisation you get them from?

AFAIK yes, they work on all French motorways and also some Spanish (blip and go) the tags are smaller now and sit comfortably out of the way on the black dotted part of the windscreen next to the rear view mirror.

I’m a bit late to add my two pennies worth. The péage badges are interchangeable. Apart from distance the péage automatically checks your classes of vehicle. There are 5 classes. In this way I pay more if I go through with my horsebox. Cars are generally class 1 except in my case with horsebox class 2.

Another vote for the Emovis tag - brilliant system.

As long as you are not a numpty like me and take the wrong exit on a Péage and have to go round the roundabout and rejoin - you will be auto-charged twice. :grinning:

1 Like

But you’ll only be charged for the kilometrage you actually travelled. So you’ll pay to go from A to B, then B to C. This is likely to be a little more expensive than a direct journey from A to C without the ‘stop’!

Good to know - I can’t remember the exact location (except it was near Amiens) and I don’t have the Emovis bill to hand, but I definitely ended up paying for the same stretch of road twice! Entirely my fault…

It’s possible to pay less by splitting a long journey (off/on) at certain junctions.

https://www.autoroute-eco.fr/autoroute.html

1 Like

Thanks - that’s a useful site. I had no idea that split journeys could be cheaper.

Edit: I have just checked my usual route to the UK and I can save about 25% on my journey to Dieppe at the expense of 3 stage payments.