French Names for Fish

and it were jolly nice too - complete with a vinaigrette de framboise sauce… even better when the OH paid the bill :wink:

2 Likes

oh wow thank you very much, I’ve added Rouget in now

oh thank you that’s a good one I’ll add that - there is a corner called rascasse at the Monaco Grand Prix!!

Thank you for saying so, it was a lot of work to put together so it’s great to know this is a useful resource.
I’ve been asked to create the lists the other way round - so French name first to help in French restaurants - I’ll do this when I’ve got a few minutes!

1 Like

That’s very useful Caro. I’ve often had to have a quick Google before ordering and even then I’ve eaten some strange looking things. I mostly play safe now and I’m generally a Dourad or Loup man, with a little Espadon every now and then and a Limande sole when I can get it.

One suggestion, now that you’ve done all the hard work, adding a French to English version might be an easy enhancement :slight_smile:

“I’ve often had to have a quick Google before ordering”

Oh John… half the fun is tackling the unknown… :relaxed: :relaxed:

I’ve had some pretty gruesome things served up to me Stella. Voyage to the bottom of the sea stuff :astonished:

As an aside, I came across this photo of a well known seafood lover today, I just can’t remember his name…

_113589101_boris_getty

now that’s enough to put me off my dinner… :frowning:

What I love about menu du jour… is that there are usually 5 or 7 courses, so if something doesn’t really appeal… there’s still lots more to fill the gap… :hugs:

Reminds me of the first (and last time) I ordered andouillette. I cut into it and it exploded with tubes and pipes like the chestbuster scene in Alien. I like haggis but I prefer my offal minced. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

how offal for you @John_Scully :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Ha ha… yes, andouillette is definitely an acquired taste… we’ve friends who adore it.

Way down south… as guests… we went with whatever mine host had ordered, but we both flinched when he blithely mentioned andouillette…
We were both well brought up… taught to be polite… so said nothing until we tentatively tasted them…

Wow… I was so chuffed and relieved… we explained.

Seems these were andouillette de canard, made by the chef to his own secret recipe… great stuff… lovely tasty sausages… hurrah.

I insisted on meeting and thanking/congratulating the chef… :hugs:

I can’t find ‘Mulet’ in your list; not the donkey, the fish. It’s not Red Mullet, it’s quite a large fish, seen today on our local fish stall in South Brittany.

Flathead grey mullet, mugil cephalus :blush:
In France it is also called meuil and muge, it has lots of names, including grey mullet, black mullet, striped mullet - very confusing.

Edited to add a recommendation for Alan Davidson’s books on fish and seafood, marvellous books.

L’ omble chevalier ou omble arctique as mentioned is a beautiful fish for the table. Of the salmon family (Salmonidae). When we used to live in the Lakes it was a frequent visitor to our table. Most of the Char offered in French shops is farmed in Lac Leman.

Thats not a fish its a bird.A walking eagle ,so full of shit it can’t fly

Slightly OT on puns about colin my cat is now called Colin (formerly Colleen) after certain things appeared late.

Welcome to the forum Dawlish! :smiley: :smiley:

Did you buy it?

Our neighbours had a gorgeous white, longish haired kitten called Blanchette. when she got bigger she needed to be renamed Blanco :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Nope! We reckoned it was Grey mullet and would taste largely of mud! The price was a give-away, you rarely see mullet for sale in UK except as bait. I know there are three variations of mullet, thin-lipped, thick lipped and (very rare) the golden grey mullet. I suspect they all taste of mud, given their largely scavenging diet…

1 Like

We tried grey mullet the other day, having never seen/eaten it before but it was looking very sparkly-eyed on our usual market stall and we are game for trying anything we haven’t tried before (usually works, sometimes definitely doesn’t :smiley: ). There was a good Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe for it we wanted to have a go at. While it was clearly not a top level fish (!) it was pleasant and not at all muddy.