French Names for Fish

We pretty much guessed that! I’m betting Alan Davidson doesn’t recommend eating it (unless you like the taste of mud :grimacing:)

He does, if you know exactly where it was fished so comes from somewhere with a gravelly bed, rather than muddy.

(And yes, marvellous books…)

1 Like

Saumonette, first time I came to Le Mans 24 Hours many decades ago we went to a restaurant and the waiter translated the menu for us, “It’s Salmon” he said so we ordered 3 meals.
Then the next table got their meals and this smell hit us, I hope ours smells better than whatever they are having I laughed, then the plates were put down in front of us with what looked like bad watery Birds Eye cod in buttered sauce with green beens that hat been over cooked by about 10 hoursy :scream:
Well we all ate dog fish that day, it tasted as bad as it looked and smelled, but being British we said it was lovely when the waiter asked us how it was, as an aside it was my pals birthday treat that day, she has never forgot it :yum::grin::laughing:

images-10

Isn’t dogfish or other sharky creature (huss?) what fish and chip shops call rock salmon?

1 Like

False Salmon was how it was later explained to me, I have never seen the connection.

I think grey mullet’s an excellent fish and it’s estuarine, so unlike many river fish, shouldn’t taste of mud Nevertheless squeamish eaters should know that they tend to feed around estaurine sewage outlets. The best and freshest grey mullet I’ve ever eaten (and no, you couldn’t still smell the sewage) was from the fish market below Istanbul’s Galata bridge, where you choose your fish and then it’s handed over to a nearby pop-up grill resto.

1 Like

Exactly, you need to know where it’s come from (sewage in water is one thing, but they are bottom feeders so depends what the bed is like). And you need to gut them quickly.

1 Like

With most fish, we gut them immediately and, after reading Hugh F-W on the subject, we make sure we remove the gills as bacteria seem to linger there…
(Surprising the skills we’ve acquired since being here :smiley: )

1 Like

some of these might not be on your list