French quarantine regs

Actually… at the moment, companies who have “imported” foreign workers…(using special permissions)… are having to put them into quarantine… in as much as… they have to provide lodgings as close to the work as possible… and the only journeys to be undertaken by said FWorkers will be to and from work.

that was the nub of it… and it makes sense… :relaxed: :relaxed: :upside_down_face:

@anon88169868 This one should be of particular interest to Paul:

5. No non-essential travel from outside Europe

From June 15th France has reopened its borders to travellers from within the EU, UK and Schengen zone with no more need for international travel permits. People travelling from the UK are “invited” to quarantine in a mirror of the UK’s quarantine restrictions, but in France this is optional.

But I guess it’s the lack of a reciprocal arrangement on return to UK that matters here…

It looks like I can exempt myself from quarantine on return to the UK so that’s something at least, depends whether the government’s website knows about it though.

I’m not convinced the UK quarantine is anything other than the government trying to look as though it “is doing something”.

1 Like

Personally… because I am a cautious person… and due to lack of decent clarification…I would presume that quarantine in France will not allow me to go to the shops etc… and would make other arrangements. :wink:

then, if (come the time)… it was clarified that I could go shopping etc… whooppee…

However it is voluntary, so I don’t have to quarantine at all if I don’t want to.

Which makes it a bit pointless.

1 Like

a bit like the mask situation…where it is “recommended” where spacing cannot be maintained… yet shops have got folk pushing and shoving… many with no masks… :upside_down_face:

being left to “common sense”… or in the case of quarantine “honour” … leaves the door open to, perhaps, the very worst scenarios…

(NB I have every faith that Paul will do whatever he feels is right at the time… good lad.)

I’m not planning on extracting the Michael but bringing 1-2 weeks food would be a pain so I think it would be an occasional forray (with mask) to the Super-U and at home otherwise.

It’s not as if I won’t have stuff to do to keep me busy.

Do you have neighbours… in lockdown… many neighbours have been helping those who were “stuck”… …brought out the best in some of them

I’m not knocking you… I just know that there are always folk who will help if necessary… (and, yes, you may well be able to go to the shops…)
(pity you’re too far from my village… the folk here have been wonderfully supportive while OH and I have been languishing… but, you might well have similar folk near you)

Ahh… now here’s a thing. There are two meanings of the word ‘shopping’.

1] For men it is almost exclusively the business of going to a smkt for comestibles and household necessities. And alc beverages.

Going to a brico or other seller of bits/gizmos/artifacts of a practical nature is not ‘shopping’. It is fulfilling the requirement, “I need some #6 x 50mm wood screws” or “I’m out of fence preserver. Back soon” [ie in time for lunch]. “There’s an 8k TV on demo at XXX - I think I’ll check it out. I need another HDMI lead anyway. 8k is the future of TV, you know …”

2] Women can go shopping in an entirely recreational way, similar to the way lying in warm, perfumed water with candels round the bath has nothing to do with personal hygiene

"We’re going shopping - see you … " “Yeah. Have fun”
“Have a good shop?” “Oh, yes, excellent” “What did you buy?” “Oh… we didn’t actually buy anything

I could ask but, to be honest the extra risk from a stop at the supermarket on the way down is not going to be much.

ha ha… naughty boy… it’s never that clear cut… :crazy_face:

Well. I admit that sometimes women go shopping and do buy stuff.

you’re on dangerous ground… tread carefully… :crazy_face: :upside_down_face: :relaxed:

That silliness will come to an end on 29th June, just a face saving exercise.

ah… that could well be the answer… great idea. (let’s hope things are better soon… for all of us…)

The general rule: Voluntary quarantine (obligatory in case of symptoms)

All people at risk of being infected, who arrive on French soil, are invited to quarantine themselves voluntarily for two weeks.

Quarantine means staying inside and self-isolating for 14 days. This means not leaving the house for any reason, including to shop, unless in a health emergency. People must avoid contact with others as much as possible, even within the same household, and ask friends or neighbours to deliver food and other essentials without contact.

This concerns "persons who have stayed, during the previous month, in an area where the infection is circulating, and who enter the country or who arrive in Corsica or one of the [French] overseas territories”.

At the time of writing, all countries are being considered “virus zones” where the virus is circulating, as stated in a health ministry decree from May 22.

Stella. I am in no danger. This is based on personal observation and experience.

When I got to London in '68 I signed up with an industrial agency. They sent me to the then temple of shopping, Fenwick’s of Bond Street, as a porter. The High Priestess of Shopping at the time was a regular customer, HRH Princess Margaret. And, on lift duty one day I opened the doors to my recent Headmaster’s secretary. I can’t recall which floor she wanted but Fenwick’s has never had a hardware or paint dept.

I recall one of my colleagues, a Whickhamist shortly bound for Cambridge, muttering “Have these women nothing better to do than come here and buy handbags?” One of our jobs was to black-sack the mountains of tissue paper that came out of boxes containing handbags. And shoes, of course.

Then, in '79, my then g/f was employed by the new temple of shopping, made famous by the patronage for real of Princess Diana and of course, the famous fictional shoppers-par-excellence, Edina and Patsy, of Ab Fab.

“C’mon, Eddie. Let’s go shopping … Taxi! Harvey Nicks…”

Nonsense. The two are exactly equivalent, otherwise you wouldn’t see blokes wandering around brico shops with their mouths open gawping at gadgets, fingering packets of scruts and oohing and aahing in a manly way about pipe-gauges.

3 Likes

Of course. Tho’ despite being a life-long, full-on DIYer - and occasional professional - I have never been to a brico myself or in the company of anyone else, just to see stuff.

But, as with the recreational bathing, there is a difference and I have seen it for myself. See above. However - Vive La Difference!

I hate shopping of all sorts, possibly I was vaccinated by having 5 small daughters needing shoes simultaneously.

2 Likes