French social care for elderly

Yes, that’s what I thought, but as usual nothing has been put in writing so it is difficult to keep track of what was said by whom, and when. After the last surprise meeting with 6 people from different organisations one thing I do remember is that daily and weekly respite care was mentioned along with a promise for the minibus company to send me a quote for the transport. Nothing so far. As none of them, Mme. Delaporte apart who may or may not have been replaced, has ever placed a finger on a keyboard, in spite of promises to do so, it is difficult to know where to start the ball rolling.

As an aside and nothing to do with that, in addition to the 2 x 1 hour visits by Christine a week to play games and generally interact with Fran, today Gill was here for an hour this afternoon with no instructions as to what to do. So after being foiled in her intention to give Fran a manicure because SSIAD’s Marie-Christine had cut her nails this morning, she instead gave her hands a gentle massage. Fran almost dropped off to sleep during this pampering. :joy:

1 Like

This might be teaching you to suck eggs, but you have checked your spam folders?

No offence taken, :wink:but many, many times a day. Every single time I visit in fact. So often do I check that there is never any need to mark spam as spam as I know it is all the same to me. :smiley:
In fact I actually park the curser in the spam folder as a defence against accidentally deleting something I don’t want to. :rofl:

1 Like

I asked Isabel, the first and most frequent of the SSIAD nurses about the respite care for Fran if I go to England in June. After making a phone call she set it in motion and the day before yesterday I received an envelope from that day’s visitor, Carole, with a form to fill in. I say, a form, but in fact it was 5 double sides in total, 2 of which must be filled in by our doctor. The info for one page can only be supplied by the replacement for the excellent Mme. Delaporte, the same man who twice promised, and twice failed, to follow up meetings in writing. I am not surprised that a phone call from Gill who filled in most of the form for me, has not been answered by him. It might not matter because I assume he is in the same building where the forms go back to. This, hopefully will be tomorrow via Isabel as I have dropped the doctor’s version into the surgery to collect in the morning.

Still not sure if I will go, the journey is daunting, but I have ruled out flying (times are useless for me) while calculating the sailings from Dieppe to Newhaven to cut down on driving time, so to set this in motion anyway will be useful for the future and, of course, if Fran does have a holiday in Nontron and I don’t go to England, I will have 7 days of uninterrupted me time. Today there are no less than 4 visits and on other days in the week at least 3. I am in no way decrying this constant attention. On Sunday I felt out of my depth almost in having to do everything for Fran.

Several of our visitors have urged me to get an extension for the toilet seat so that she doesn’t land with a bump. Personally I don’t see this as a necessity, this does not happen when I take her because I, alone amongst all of them, lower her gently from the front with my arms around her, while they struggle to sidestep the gap between toilet and bidet to lower her from the rear. Another drawback I foresaw, which has been borne out, was the fact that her feet would not be flat on the floor which might put ill advised pressure on her thighs as sometimes she has to remain there for extended periods.

Nevertheless I have complied and brought it home yesterday. Gill fitted it on but for some reason assumed that it would remain there all the time, and that I would use it, she does not seem to know of the concept of a man peeing through such a reduced aperture. I think she thinks we all sit down lady fashion. Anyway, although it is a pain to find a convenient storage place, it is not hard to remove and replace. Quite apart from that I insist on the seat and cover being down when not in use, I am amazed to find that not one of our visitors agrees with me, so if for no other reason, this thing must be removed after each use. I have always heard the joke about men never putting the seat (and cover) down, at least in this house it is definitely the other way round. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Well it happened, didn’t it? I went, she went and they (the dogs) went.
Me to Nottingham via the tunnel and the story of all that for another time in another place, Jules and Opie to the pension at St. Martial where all the Dobies go in the waiting room., and Fran of course to the care home for her week’s holiday.

It all seemed very nice there and she was settled in the easy chair by a nurse who took all her particulars, although mainly from me. Apart from the language difficulty Fran speaks very little these days and understands even less, even in English. Left alone for a while together she remained expressionless, this is not unusual now, and I did not take it as any sort of comment on her being in a strange place.

On my return the following Monday I was early by a few hours than the 2pm stipulated and had to wait while they got her ready and packed up. I took a wheelchair up with me and I searched the room numbers for 110 on all the doors. The room ahead of me had its door open with an old lady sitting on a wheelchair facing the opening, but it wasn’t Fran. The head was tilted to one side so I looked at the number before moving on. 110, it was her, No big welcome despite my fuss and kisses, so I grabbed her bags and headed for the exit. I had great difficulty in getting her into the car seat, she seemd unable to shuffle her feet close enough for the turn and drop but we did manage it safely. Once in I had a problem in getting her to sit upright, it was not only her head that was leaning to the left.

Sometime later it was time for food. After she had her pill and a drink with her meds in it, she never drinks it all in one go, I offered her the usual bowl of porridge. She loves it but this time was unable to eat it herself, seemed unable to lift her arm more than an inch or so. I didn’t think it was a stroke, I have seen those before, but, together with the lean and head tilt I did sense something wrong and, on Christine’s advice, called the SAMU. The American woman on the phone asked pertinent questions and then asked me to hang on while she consulted their doctor before returning to me to say that she should go to Urgence and that the Pompiers were on their way.

They were here within 15 minutes and, after the usual tests and receiving phone advice , set off with her to Perigueux.

Impressive as always I should explain why I did not follow my own previous advice to ring the Pompiers direct. I really did not think it was an emergency, just a worry and I wanted advice first, which is exactly what I got from the SAMU doctor.

That was Monday evening. I was told that they would be making tests and that she would be there at least till Wednesday. So it was that I went there to see a doctor in the neurologie department at her request yesterday. Fran’s appearance was a bit of a shock, her grey hair, normally so well groomed by our regular visitors was in a tangled mess spread out over her shoulders and she was connected to various tubes etc. I tried to talk cheerfully about things at home and the long video that I had made of the 2 Great Grandsons that she has never met, in Nottingham. No reaction at all. When she tried to speak I had to press my ear to her lips to finally understand that she wanted a drink. I called a nurse who brought her a fruit drink and fed it to her.

The doctor did come and seemed surprised that I had been told she wanted to see me, not the other way round. But I did get the impression that they were worried that I was the only person who could authorise any serious action they think necessary to take. She mentioned heart and lung problems and the fact that, in an emergency they couldn’t perform normal CPR on her as she was so fragile.

Christine had been in touch with them on my behalf, mentioning my hearing difficulties and emphasising my age in order for them to treat her as a port of first call if they needed to get hold of me. They had initially, and understandably, been reluctant to deal through her, but I hope that we have that sorted now.

I went again today to see Fran but also because on my way home yesterday the Assistante Sociale at the hospital had phoned me and asked for a meeting at 3pm to ‘discuss her return home’. I agreed and set off in good time though worrying about the increasing heat and the dogs in the car. Risking theft I left them with 2 windows and one sliding door open but I will have to rethink in future. I was banking on a quick visit and a brief meeting with Fran, but it was not to be. The secretariat denied all knowledg of me and the hardfaced woman shut the door in my face after telling me to sit down. 15 minutes later with no movement I was getting increasingly worried. One woman passed by and on my appeal promised to find out what was happening. Nothing. The another who ignored me altogether, until I said I could wait no longer and mentioned the plight of the dogs. So she knocked on a door and I was in, face to face with the woman I was supposed to meet half an hour before.

I wasn’t pleased to discover that this 100 km round trip was mainly for her to know how I would pay the journalier. The daily non-medical stay in the hospital. Did she have a mutuelle, no, we have before been presented with a bill some days after leaving, which we have paid immediately. At the time it was €20 a day, no doubt it will be more now. Barely a mention was made of the arrangements for returning home but she was impressed with the support we have been given and I departed, not a lttle angry and unable to risk a moment longer away from the dogs to visit Fran. I know she wouldn’t expect, or probably, know me, but whether or not it will have to wait untill tomorrow. I will have to leave the dogs alone in the house, there will be a cool breeze from my open bedroom window to the kitchen veranda sliders. I don’t like to lock them in but I can’t risk someone innocently opening the gates and letting them out so will have to chance it.

5 Likes

What a concern for you.
It must be tearing you in two, to know that Fran needs hospital treatment but gets better care at home.
Best thoughts with you.

4 Likes

Yes thank you Jane. I have worked out a plan to allow me to travel to see her freely. My worry of dogs in the car is obvious, but I cannot leave them with anyone while they are still infected by this kennel cough. I do not like the idea of leaving them locked in the house, if there was a fire that would be unthinkable, but if, and this is my favoured solution, I leave them in the house with the back door open, what if someone quite innocently opened the gate and let them get out?

But I have a very good padlock, if I can find around here a chain, or buy one this morning, I could lock the gate and leave the key with Marie-Paule next door, or if she preferred, clipped to a section of gate a few paces away with her knowledge.

I know it sounds like I am putting the dogs before Fran but there really was no other choice yesterday and now, with this idea I can turn my attention fully to being with her as long as is necessary.

2 Likes

Hats off to you for everything you do for your wife and pets. I was quite pleased to see a big sign in Leroy Merlin last week asking people not to leave dogs in cars but to put them on a lead and bring them into the shop, but as I said to my son, who would take a dog out anyway in the full heat of the afternoon to go shopping, only those who were on their way somewhere else I suppose and needed to shop! I know how much of a shock seeing your wife transformed whilst you were away can be, I recently saw some photos of my mum (93) and I was horrified at how different she looked from last summer, all shrunken and half the person she was. I suppose my sisters don’t notice it as they go every other day to the home but I have not seen her since 2017 so like you, was shocked. All you can do is care for your wife, she would have done the same if the boot were on the other foot I have no doubt and I am relieved my OH did not survive to be totally paralyzed and brain damaged and we had to see him suffer in a hospital. You have some good help by the sounds of things, my dad was very let down in the UK and got half an hour per day if he was lucky.

1 Like

Searched everywhere, all the sheds (and on the way had a brief plunge in the pond, it looked so inviting this warm morning :roll_eyes:) but could find nothing. Till I looked in the car and there was a short piece of dog chain for emergencies. It does the job but would not stop a thief (that is not the idea) but would deter an innocent visitor wondering why no-one was answering the bell.
So, once I have had a word with M-P I will be free to go to Perigueux this afternoon without other worries.

Unless there is a call in the meantime to say she is being brought home. :joy:

1 Like

As you are here @toryroo , are you free next Wednesday the 12th at 1630? That is the next appointment with Dr. Dumas and, if Fran is back by then, we will be there much earlier than that, especially now that I have solved the dog problem.

No worries if you are not available, you have done more than your share to help us up till now and it is very much appreciated, but it would be lovely to see you again if possible. :grinning:

1 Like

Oh no, we leave for the UK on the day before! I’m then back 2 weeks later. If you want I can see if I can change it until then so I can come? Let me know what you want to do.

1 Like

Do you mean to try and postpone the appointment till you get back? If so, yes of course if you are willing, the 6 monthly meetings with the doctor are hardly urgent but much easier to handle with an expert lIke yourself in attendance.

It might even be necessary anyway depending on how long Fran remains in hospital. Do you have the number to ring? The switchboard is 05.53.02.11.11. There is no separate number for him,
his name is Dr. Eric DUMAS.

Have a great couple of weeks in the UK, I found the journey to get there quite stressful, will explain elsewhere, but it was worth it for what may well be the last time with friends and family. :smiley:

1 Like

Good news just in is that the hospital scanned Fran’s lungs and, although scarring was found causing her breathing problems due to smoking all her life until she forgot to in September 2021, as long as the situation does not change over the weekend, they will send her home on Monday the 10th at midday. :joy:

Christine from CIAS will therefore be in twice that afternoon and SSIAD will recommence their morning visits on Tuesday the 11th.

In order to be ready for phone calls I have my bluetooth earpiece in at all times now and am really getting the hang of this telephone thing. Even had a flirty call with the SSIAD person as she broke into heavily accented English to confirm what we had said and I told her her accent was charming, the giggling on the other end told me that not only was no offence taken (one has to be so careful these days) but that she possibly thought that my English one in French was too. :rofl:

3 Likes

Unfortunately David it’s not at all unusual for the elderly frail in hospitals to be badly dehydrated precisely because they cannot communicate their needs and nursing staff are busy. You may well find that once home she improves, just with this one issue resolved.

2 Likes

Yes Sue, I think that is so, there was nothing on the table there that I could give her and, although, the 2 nurses just outside the door seemed not to be busy I think they were very junior, or even students, because they had to refer elsewhere before coming into comply with her wishes.

2 Likes

So would a large sign….

1 Like

Indeed, but someone might be tempted to open the gate to leave a message, or a parcel, faced with a chain and padlock might make that less likely.
While I was in England a DHL driver sent me numerous texts and calls saying he had a parcel to deliver but couldn’t find the house, typical for them in my opinion. Thank goodness he couldn’t and I sent him away eventually (20 calls/texts later) because I knew I hadn’t ordered anything from Paragon, whoever thy are. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

How are things? Did you manage to visit Fran?

1 Like

Our experience with my mother a couple of years ago was the other way around, and after they rehydrated her she was a new woman. However they were looking for that, so that may have made a difference.

I’d be concerned that a sign advertising the house was empty would be an invitation. Or maybe that’s just my London upbringing coming out.