French Strikes over Pension Age Increase

Unlike roofers, post 59 year old airline pilots are examined annually and their ceiling (intended!) is 65 years ; also once 60 they must have a sub-60 year old co-pilot. This isn’t a problem at SNCF where the current average retirement age is 52.5 years

Where did you get the data Mark. And did it give categories of personal, working conditions, hours away from home « working les 3, 8 weekends compris etc.?
Edit I forgot to ask the salaries too.

I would only use Wikip for casual stuff like this - never use it in professional research!

Beneficiaries of the special retirement plans[edit]

• The French military: the average retirement age is 45.7, if the employee has achieved 40 years of payments he is entitled to a pension equal to 75% of the salary of the last 6 months. If the 40 years have not been achieved, there is a system to calculate the allowance based on the numbers of annuities paid. However, military pension cannot fall beneath a certain minimum (€500 per month for an adjutant, for example);
  • EDF and GDF average retirement age: 55.4;
  • RATP: average retirement age: 54.8;
  • SNCF average retirement age: 52.5;
  • The Banque de France has harmonised its retirement plan based on the civil servant one, but keeps a separate fund;
  • Sailors: average retirement age: 57.6;

I’m still trying to get my head around the French pension systems, not least because of our current dispute with URSSAF, but the so-called supplementary pensions seem similar to UK public sector/government pensions that are funded by voluntary contributions that are matched by employer’s contributions, unlike the National Insurance. For this reason my principal 'supplementary pension is worth much more than my state pension.

1 Like

Not really if it’s regular. Shift working is worse.

Thanks but not really in-depth is it.
Citations needed…
Age of when empowerment starred and year.
Working hours and conditions
Salaries ( pretty low as seen as a garanti for working life and stability)
Times away from home and family. / impact on family lives
Weekends worked / impact on family life.
I could go on all night…

Being a scholar yourself I think you can appreciate that Wiki isn’t always your friend but a good way to start the basis’ of a thesis.

But a lot of them do!

Agreed.

Perhaps the most important element of my initial post is the distinction between regular medical and technical testing of pilots and non testing of artisans such as roofers. Obviously the former’s errors can seriously impact on many others, the latter’s less so. Consequently in the case of pilots it’s not simply something that can affect an individual.

Pilots’ and TGV drivers’ hours are very strictly regulated, but the former spend much longer away from their families than train drivers or roofers. A friend of mine is a cargo pilot for Emirates and only sees his partner every couple of weeks or more.

Of course TGV drivers and airline pilots are highly paid, roofers and other artisans less so (which may be why the latter are so hard to find!)

(Shift working). So do a lot of other people.
OK, I admit I don’t know enough about this to continue this discussion, but what most gets me is that, although they’re retaining their right to retire 5 years earlier than most others, they feel justified in letting the rubbish pile up high in a crowded city, with all the unpleasantness, inconvenience, and hygienic dangers this involves inflicting on people, most of whom are as much against this reform as they are.
Prostest, peacefully, of course, pile rubbish in front of the Elysee Palace, maybe, but this is throwing-toys-out-of-the-pram behaviour.