Future Property Prices in France

It’s a very complex area… weed killers and weed control… trying not to douse the earth/plants/insects with chemicals…

Let’s get back to the old ways… hands-on gardening…time consuming but very satisfying.

Fine, are you free on Tuesdays?

ha ha… I’m fully booked.
Our commune is officially “chemical free” and I’ve already amazed the neighbours by suggesting we could each help… by pulling up the weeds in front of our own houses. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I have managed to get volunteers to keep the pétanque court comparatively weedfree… :hugs:

Back to property prices…

If you haven’t discovered it the reports on https://www.notaires.fr can be useful.

At the present time volumes are increasing, as are prices

2015 was the last year that prices fell and they have been rising (on average, obviously that hides a lot of variation) since.

Whether that means it is a good time to buy is harder to say - past performance not guaranteeing future performance and all that.

Historically, however, the French Property market has not been a place to get easy returns - the French prefer (and are incentivised to buy) new builds so the chance of cheap “doer uppers” is less and the Estate agents take such huge cuts that you have to see a considerable uplift in the value of your property just to break even on a resale.

That’s not to say it is impossible, I am sure - just not a pushover.

The figures are very regional - some high & some low.

https://www.french-property.com/news/french_property_market/house_prices_france_2018/

2 Likes

Latest property to sell in our commune went for 36k… quite a drop from the original asking price of 96k from 5 years ago.

The Buyers plan to redo the roof and install double glazing… and modernise the 2 bathrooms.

I love watching a property being carefully “woken up”… :hugs:

1 Like

As I said the average can be very misleading - some areas are still seeing contractions in price so one has to tread carefully.

But I thought the general opinion on this site has been that French property is a bit like art - for most, best bought because you love it (and want to live in it), not to make money.

3 Likes

It is very noticeable around us right now that of 20 total houses within 250m radius 8 of them have recently or are currently being renovated.

Just 2 years ago 5 out of those 7 were wrecks.

No wonder it is difficult to find a good builder at a sensible price!

1 Like

Not arguing, just wondering if you are comparing with UK prices ???

God if only! I am comparing prices to 5 years ago when we renovated our holiday home - on our new house prices are up by 30%.

Oh my. Have you discussed the quotes with the builders. I know there is always room for movement, depending on what products/suppliers etc.

best of luck.

Yes we have and have had a little progress.

All contractors appointed and works to start shortly.

One thing in all of this to factor in to your budget is the time involved in finding the right place. It can take a while and it is totally worth it not to rush into anything.

On the other hand you could get lucky and find the perfect place straight away. Not everyone goes through the torturous process I did :cold_sweat:. I am so happy with the place we live in now though. We ended up in a totally different area to where we started out looking. I don’t regret spending six months in the Limousin (really beautiful area) but I love Burgundy.

3 Likes

Labastide is exactly the village I was referring to…plenty of opportunities for investment; which translates as “renovating old houses to turn into flats for social housing”
The environs are nicer the further you get from the village itself; I live in St Amans, & as I say, it’s well served…we have it all…electricity, & everything!
My friend’s house is in Lacabarède, which is halfway between me & L. Rx.
I know the Leggett’s agent there; an english bloke, whose very helpful & apparently has quite a few places on his books.
That said, SW France has rakes of property for sale, so you’ll almost certainly be spoilt for choice.
Good luck in your search.

Drop me your address & I’ll stick a goose in the post.

2 Likes

Yikes. Typical - most things are too good to be true. There were a large amount of houses that seemed great value but the population stats showed a significant decline so it looks like people are leaving …not a great sign. Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I’ll send a homing device for the goose - will save you on the postage :wink:

I want to downsize, and took the price l paid plus what l’ve spent on renovation, minus what it would have cost to rent the house for the nine years l’ve lived here. l arrived at a figure which corresponded with the valuation of two estate agents.

1 Like

Be aware that summers that far south are usually punishingly hot. I can’t image that Carcassonne and environs are any less hot than my present home in Valencia. Mid 30’s C to 40C+ for 12-14 weeks is tough going, in my experience. Nights that don’t drop below 30C . Fornuately my Mitsubishi AC is very quiet because I have to have it on all night.

I did take the advice of a friend who questioned my sanity when I appeared to be debating whether or not to have AC. installed as part of the refurb. But hiding indoors from such heat, with the AC running, is not much fun.

This aspect of ‘meteogeography’ is an important element in my choice of area to go looking for a place in FR. I’m hoping that somewher between lines thu’ Anger and Angouleme with an eastern boundary of Bourges might be a compromise between southern heat and northern cold.

Any in that area care to comment?

2 Likes

If recent trends are anything to go by, the Tarn is as hot, if not hotter than Carca…
Carca & its environs can & have been very wet in recent times…then, of course, there’s the snow.

1 Like

Hi Lauren, welcome to the forum ( newbie myself). We have a similar desire and going over to Eymet next June for 3 weeks. If we like what we see, we’ll look for a long term rental before buying.

Thanks Woody and welcome also :slight_smile: Sounds like an exciting 2020 for you. Do lets know how the visit goes in June. Who knows what the future holds :slight_smile:

1 Like