GB News Goes Live Tonight (9pm in France)

And hello @software_engineer aka Bill by the way!

The name field during sign up has a note beneath it that says full name required.

1 Like

If that requirement started in the past 5-6 years, it would explain why @software_engineer didn’t know of it because he joined in 2015 I think!

Indeed so. I am the king of lurkers :slight_smile:

I would suggest that perhaps a sticky post containing such info might be a good idea.

1 Like

It’s always been the requirement!

Ah - I didn’t know that, being reasonably recent myself :smiley:

1 Like

An unwelcome but credible view on the station’s future.

Apparently typical viewing figures for GBNews are lower than those for the Welsh language version of Paw Patrol. And they are now actively campaiging against the “Stop Funding Hate” movement. Presumably GBNews will call their campaign “Let’s Fund Hate”…

2 Likes

I must have a look at that, seeing as everyone says how bad it is. :thinking:

Don’t watch it online though - you’ll contribute to the viewing figures.

Oh no, 216, I believe is the way to go. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

A bit like “we’re anti-woke” is another way of saying “we’re racist”.

1 Like

I haven’t been awakened to woke yet. :roll_eyes:

What is woke…never read an explanation i understand.

I woke up this morning, tomorrow after when I hopefully wake up again, I will have woke - sure it’s not that simple and its the new “in” word that i can’t be arsed with.

Woke purely comes from the notion of being awake, being aware, doing your bit to counter the injustice and intolerance some in society have to endure. So many of us will happily say ‘oh yes, it’s terrible the way black people/lgbtq people/ disabled people/ whoever don’t perhaps have things quite as easy as some of us do’, but that’s where it stays, we say something then move on to thinking about the test match or what we’re having for dinner. Being woke is about being alert to the injustices that some endure and actually following through with more than just a few words and actually proactively doing something if you encounter it happening.

As is always the case these things get weaponised by people who don’t understand or are easily manipulated by the right wing press and somehow it becomes a bad thing in their mind to want to look out for others and try help everyone have the same chances, just how political correctness, a concept of being considerate and conscious of others in what we say and do became weaponised by the right and people fell for it and it became all about people not being to have the right to be scummy pillocks to others because of ‘free speech’, it always comes back to people being afraid that their right to be hateful to others being taken away, or worse them having to be held to account for their words or actions, so it’s far better to blame concepts or people who want to make the world a kinder more considerate place than face up to their own behaviours or actions.

4 Likes

Worth adding also that it’s not really new either - like most slang that gradually enters mainstream language, it has been around in various subcultures for 150 years or so!

A bit like ‘cool’ then?

I will have woken? That’s what irritates me about “woke” - so far as I’m concerned it’s poor grammar - should be woken, as in I will have woken, or I have woken.

1 Like