Germany, on the wrong side of history?.... again

Not for the first time I see Germany’s deserved guilt clouding its judgment. Supporting an apartheid regime that is bombing women and children and hospitals will not expunge past crimes. Scholz and Von Der Leyen (she’s an overall disaster IMHO) are too busy mea culpaing to deliver a subtle balanced response to the unfolding disaster.

As I said in parliament last week, there can only be one place for Germany in difficult times: by Israel’s side. The security of Israel and its citizens is Germany’s reason of state. And the German parliament supports this stance unanimously.

Scholz noted that the history of Germany and its role “in the wake of the Holocaust, means it is our duty to stand up for the existence of the state of Israel”

7 Likes

agree.
erroneous and can’t make up for the past anyway.

2 Likes

Admitting from the outset that I don’t know much about the subject, my impression is that any public statement about Israel which expresses anything other than total support is likely to be counterproductive and lead to Israel continuing to retaliate irresponsibly and illegally.

I imagine and trust that Joe Biden, who is pretty much the only person in a position of influence over Israel, is doing what he can in private to calm things down.

5 Likes

I hope so and his rush trip today would indicate that. But all he’s doing is trying to calm down a situation that he and many other leaders stoked from the outset. I think they should have been more balanced when they voiced their rightful disgust and what happened on the 11th. While condemning Hamas and the slaughter and voicing support for Israel they should have called for calm and reflection on the next steps. Instead they gave Netanyahu carte blanche and now they are trying to put the genie back in the bottle. It’s a mess.

4 Likes

I agree totally. Especially about Von der Leyen.

2 Likes

Listening to PM on R4 some progress seems to be being made. Thank goodness.

2 Likes

Is this the war thread part 2? I was quite saddened when what seemed to be about the most important topic around at the moment was suddenly cut off. Affecting the whole world, France included.

One thought I had was that many wars seem started by people wanting to stay in power - thatcher / falklands, bush / Afghanistan, bush (+blair?) / Iraq, Putin / Ukraine. It likely suits both parties in this ‘war’ to escalate - and it’s claimed one side was warned and ignored it.

Some leaders need an enemy to get people to vote for them.

4 Likes

Me too, I thought a respectful and considered discussion had to be shutdown (which I agree with) due to the behaviour of one participant. It felt like a bully had won. I valued the input of our fellow posters.

4 Likes

Well, Biden has failed :frowning: It’s terrible that of all people Putin has summed things up succinctly, it’s Leningrad II.

1 Like

This one included. Hamas could see the peace negotiations brokered by Saudi and Isreal would quite possibly lead to making their violent form of resistance redundant.

4 Likes

Indeed. It was shut down when it became a flame throwing event rather than what it should have been - a genuine effort to differentiate between truth and perception.

This forum has many balanced and scholarly discussions, the current situation in Isreal and Gaza being one, not forgetting the other in Ukraine, most urgent. Our world is in turmoil and we are generally and genuinely trying to make sense of it with each other.

2 Likes

you could also compare it to the Warsaw Ghetto uprising against the Nazis, ended badly too… It is such a shame that human kind never learns from its history…
And radicals from which ever religion start human suffering that has no bearing to their religion

4 Likes

Although for infliction of misery on an industrial scale, you really need an atheist like Pol Pot or Stalin.

2 Likes

not him clearly as incapable

60-80 million. Deaths.

1 Like

Israel’s thirst for revenge is disturbing. They are beginning to lose the proper-gander war in my opinion.

2 Likes

Old testament, an eye for an eye. And then done extra to ‘teach a lesson’
Doesnt work, but makes politicians and military feel so much better.

1 Like

I would suggest that at the bottom of religious wars you will normally find some very human politics at work. Even if the given reason is a disagreement on theology or practice.

3 Likes

Apart from the desire to wage war for the intention of staying in power, [quote=“Susannah, post:10, topic:45447”]
This one included
[/quote]

I also understand there are two key factors in this one -

land (to build settlements - which are illegal under the UN, (though who amongst our current rulers care about the UN?); and

water - a scarce resource in the area expropriated massively and likely to increase risk with global warming?

On religion, I understand there’s quite a few overlaps or parallels between the current two tribes going to war (nod to Frankie there).

1 Like

I agree. Religion is just the glue, like being in a club or movement, that binds a group together. Though even the Nazi “club” had their mystic signs and rituals.

1 Like