Getting a new Carte Vitale

OH is a dependent on my S1 as when we moved to France I was retired so her CV is linked to mine. On recently reaching Uk pension age she can now get an S1 of her own. It seems sensible and judicious to now get a C Vitale in her own name. Our CPAM in Saint-Brieuc aren’t the most helpfull and don’t seem to be very clued up about such things.

As she has regular ongoing, but not serious, health treatment I’m nervous of disrupting arrangements which currently run smoothly.

Anybody done this, how to go about it and what is the process?

I have just done this as reached retirement age in April. Since I am extremely reliant on the health system I was reluctant too. I’ll try to link my post, as in the end HMRC told CPAM before I got round to it.

However it all worked very well!

Main steps are to phone DWP to get the S1.
Get email with link to download S1
Send the S1s to your CPAM (and saving a copy)
Get letter from CPAM asking fir copy of ID and a RIB in your name
Send these in
Update your CV in nearest terminal
Done

Much to my surprise at no point did my CV stop working, even tho’ I got a letter saying it had been cancelled.

Here is link to other topic

1 Like

I can confirm that OH’s CV never stopped working while he clambered off of my CV and over onto his own… :wink: :wink:

It was a worry beforehand, as he has severe health problems, but it worked fine… phew.

I can add to the others’ experience in that the CV itself doesn’t need to be replaced (it already should have your wife’s name on the front of it) but when the new S1 gets through the system, the normal “mise a jour” process at the pharmacy will change the links in it.

1 Like

My OH and myself have now been waiting for the first CV still despite me paying into the system for 18 and 14 months respectively . Now i know why the lady rolled her eyes when CPAM was mentioned

How weird. Have you at least got the attestation des droits - as that’s the important bit. The plastic card is just a convenience.

I have a letter from the CPAM advising me of my SS number which seems to work ok but the system is geared up to the plastic card. My OH has a SS number which was given to her by the hospital as she is on the SS system and works. Like I said the system is geared up to the card. We wait.

We made do with the paper attestation for ages, but perhaps these days all that’s needed is an SS number. Do you have permanent numbers ´ ie start with 1 or 2?

Thankyou to all for input…and i understood the need to get an S1 for OH but exactly what do you then do with it,…surley not just mail it to our CPAM, are there application forms to complete and is it a seamless transition from being to a dependent to one in her name. I assume a new phto will be needed to be submitted to enable a new photo card to be produced.
I know my mutuelle will need to set up a link to the new CV.

Hi Jane, thankfully yes we do which seems to work ok.

Once the S1 is received by you… why not take it, with the docs listed previously, to your CPAM…
There will be forms/stuff to complete, but it should be CPAM who do that… and nothing beats you sitting there with all your docs etc to hand, while the CPAM person does the necessary.

Make sure you take a copy of your S1 for your homefile… :wink:

It is seamless and simple! As I said in my post right at the top of this thread you just send it to your CPAM! It doesn’t even require a meeting and indeed at our CPAM there is no way to book a meeting for this purpose.

I included a short cover letter saying what it was as in my area there are few old EU foreigners, but that was it.

Two weeks later I got the request by post to send in a RIB and copy of my ID, and was asked to do a mise à jour of my existing card. Which I have done and which shows everything is as it should be including mt ALD.

Once this RIB has been received and logged by them I will be able to open up my own compte on Ameli.

If your wife already has a CV with a photo on it no change is needed.

From my experience of doing this over last few weeks it really doesn’t work like this anymore!

Possibly not all over France… but @strudball has visited his CPAM and there are human beings in place :wink:

My own CPAM is also manned and offers appointments for folk who wish to do things face to face.

It’s all down to personal preference and what’s available in one’s locality.

As has been mentioned above @strudball , your wife will not need a new card, nor will she need a new photo. All the linking is done automatically when your wife next goes to the pharmacist to “mise a jour” her existing card.

However, the S1 needs to be processed by CPAM and, like @stella, I recommend going in in person. They will then officially accept it and send it back to the UK in order to “complete the loop” for repayments.

The only thing you will probably need to do manually is that your MT will need to reregister him/herself as your wife’s MT (at least that was what happened in our case)

My CPAM is staffed (mainly by women :grin:) and you can get advance appointments only for a small range of reasons. So you can go in at a specific time for a walk -in appointment and risk that the person you see will have no idea what an S1 is and just stuff it in the classement vertical. Perhaps in areas that are knee deep in retired British people there is greater local knowledge.

But seriously, why bother? I did it all by post, so had complete paper trail and it was done and dusted with no stress in a few weeks.

1 Like

Many folk seem to think that the S1 is simply a British-issued thingy… but, of course, it’s not.

Our CPAM deals with all nationalities… and for europeans, many come with their S1 … :wink:

Yes, ours is fine for frontliers, but often struggles with others reasons for an S1.

For reference, and why worth not procrastinating for 2 months as I did, this is extract of letter I received at end June. Did what they said, by post, and all sorted by mid July, so less than a month in reality!

My wife got a dependant S1 and we posted the form in CPAMs letter box guess what they lost it. Between their own letter box and the right desk in CPAM unbelievable.

I was given an ordnance for an expensive drug Alirocumab to lower my Chloresterol. ( I can’t take statins) in Jan the Cardiologist gave me an ordinance that we had to take to CPAM and said the MT would be able to prescribe it after that. He listed all the reasons for it ie intolerance of statins. We heard nothing and my wife finally called them and they said if we didn’t hear then the answer was yes.

All went well until we went to the MT who could not find my authorisation on AMELI Pro so could not prescribe it. So back to the Cardiologist and another prescription ( but without the reasons) the pharmacist got two doses in (about €800) and then we got a refusal from CPAM.
The pharmacist was obviously upset and called the medicine conseil at CPAM who said that I obviously did not need it as my Cholestérol was quite low (as the pharmacist responded this was after 5 months on the drug).

So we are now fighting CPAM wish me luck.

Regards

Nick

1 Like

When we first arrived I very, very stupidly handed in to CPAM my original, original birth certificate - the aged flimsy bit of paper that I had had from birth. After a while when our applications were said to be in process I asked for it back. They said they had lost it and wanted in new one.

I had a major tantrum at the main accueil until someone senior was sent to placate me, and wrote a very stern complaint copied to local paper. They found it……

Persistance is important - good luck.

(And with apologies from my pedant alter-ego it is ordonnance, not ordnance or ordinance.)

2 Likes

Hi I can’t spell in english, almost no hope for me in French I just go with spell checker.

Rgds Nick

1 Like