Getting around new Youtube restriction on ad-blockers

I seem to spend a lot of time these days watching all manner of things on Youtube. I love particularly content relating to my hobbies.
Youtube has now cracked down on ad-blockers and I cannot bear watching adverts.
I saw a comment on Twitter.
Quote - you can still use ad blocker on youtube just press the share button on the video you wanna watch and then click embed :3
A couple of people responded positively to this. I’ve done some searching but I have not so far been able to understand exactly what to do.

For now just close the warning and proceed as normal.

No doubt the thumbscrews will be tightened some more in the near future

It will be interesting to see if there is an arms race between YT and the ad blockers.

I just use ad blockers.

AdBlock, Adblock Plus and AdGuard.

Never have a problem.

YT started flashing up a warning with a timer. I had to wait around 15 seconds to watch the next video. Now it looks like I have three chances left before I am kicked off.

Porridge - I have been using ad-blockers but YT now tell me using one is no longer allowed. Continued use results in bye bye Youtube.

Ad blocking folk are looking for a work around.

You will soon

You could consider YT Premium :face_vomiting:

If there were fewer ads, or it were $1.29 a month, not $12.99 I might do so - but nearly £156 a year to watch crappy vids on YT is a bit too much.

2 Likes

Interesting.

I have never seen any warning or indeed any indication YT didn’t like ad blockers.

I’ll know what to expect!

I wouldn’t mind paying ‘say’ £/€ 5 but I think even then the ads don’t completely stop.
There’s a lot of good content. I enjoy watching vids about electronics, hifi, the latest on Trump’s attempts to evade justice and so on.

To be honest if I were blocked from YT I would shrug and walk away. OK I might miss Russell Howard vids but that’s about it.

Would this make any difference to Google - clearly not.

Would it actually make a difference if everyone who uses an ad blocker did it - funnily enough I suspect the answer is the same. Most people simply watch the ads. If it is so many people that Google would be hurt by loss of ad revenue then they might want to take a moment to think about why people don’t want to watch the bloody things.

I see that it is actually $13.99 a month. Really, there’s no way on Earth I’m paying that much for YT.

1 Like

I’m now down to 1 chance left.
Even after having disabled (but not uninstalled my adblockers), YT is still flashing up warning that I have an adblocker installed.

The only way round it AFAIK is to use another browser (Brave in my case) that I am not signed into.

Pity because now I cannot utilise all my YT subscriptions to favourite channels.

If you use Brave check the instructions here

which will probably allow you to continue using your YT login.

2 Likes

There must be someone on here who understands EMBED:3 (see my initial post)

Update - The person who posted this on Twitter intended the :3c to be a smile. Never seen that before.
So it’s only necessary to select ‘share’ and then ‘embed’ to play YT videos without triggering the anti ad-blocking software.

Looks promising

Use an app on Android (also for Android TV) called SmartTube.

2 Likes

I have this on my TV but that’s my only Android platform.

As if they’re not making a fortune out of Ads already.

They are bound to be worried that the people paying for the ads might start getting twitchy about how easy it is to block them on the platform.

Personally I think that this is short-sighted - if large numbers of people are blocking ads, then forcing them to watch is not going to make them buy the products on display.

If large numbers of people are NOT blocking ads then really, who cares if a few do?

You can subscribe to YouTube and then no ads.

I don’t watch YouTube because the disruption of ads is totally disproportionate.

If they had only reasonable amounts of ads and respected reasonable screen placement for them and allowed settings for epilepsy- and other issue-provoking features like excessive animation, sound levelling and flashes to be disabled, or if cost to avoid them was reasonable, I could become quite a fan because I know a wealth of knowledge is available.

Until then as soon as a site loads something in YouTube, it and the web page get shut down on my kit.

Well, they do indeed now block you after three videos. Unless you clear cookies and don’t bother signing in.

It’s not a big loss to me personally as I don’t have channel subscriptions anyway.