Getting around new Youtube restriction on ad-blockers

I have confirmed for myself that by selecting ‘Share’ and then ‘Embed’ it’s possible to overcome the ad-blocker detector. Having said that I am down to 2 attempts so must always remember to do this. I tried installing the Brave browser but it fails to start up and run on my MacBook. I will look at the other fixes in the previously posted article (4 Ways to Bypass "Ad Blockers are Not Allowed on YouTube" - Gadgets To Use)

I love SmartTube. It’s just a shame it doesn’t work on Android phones, only on Android TVs.

I use an app called New Pipe on my phone but it doesn’t allow you to sign in. You can export your subscribed channels on YouTube and import them into New Pipe but it still feels clunky compared to SmartTube.

I downloaded the latest available version and had no trouble with starting it up, other than having to respond to the usual macOS Gatekeeper warning that “Application X was downloaded from the internet and might be dangerous, do you really want to start it?”

My version:
[Version 1.59.120 Chromium: 118.0.5993.88 (Build officiel) (arm64)]

Well I really don’t know what you lot are doing wrong!

At the risk (inevitability) of hubris :smiley: I’m having absolutely no problem. I use Chrome for YouTube, with the ad blockers listed above. (I have also installed PocketTube, to organise my subscriptions.)

My normal browsing is on Firefox, and I use Brave for Facebok.

Do you log in to YT?

Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Yes I do.

Also I use a VPN.

Which might be the significant factor.

Anyway YT haven’t rolled it out across the board yet - so it might also be a question of luck.

YouTube admonitions, very irritating so I deleted my adblocker, but since I’ve added another adblocker, Adblocker for Chrome, I’m not getting those YouTube admonitions anymore.

To be honest, this crackdown by YouTube has got me thinking about how much I do watch YouTube and how much value I get from it. I happily pay Netflix each month yet can go for weeks, if not months, without watching anything. Whereas with YouTube I watch something on it everyday without fail.

Whilst it annoys me because I’m being asked to pay for something I currently get for free (ad-free videos), it’s something I can afford and can justify spending the money on - especially if I just switch my Netflix subscription to YouTube.

1 Like

Well, I logged back in and …

videos play fine even with the adblocker still in place.

Maybe YT have had a (temporary, I’ll bet) change of heart.

As an aside I happened to watch a YT video at work on a machine where installing extensions is blocked by the gestapo IT support. YT ads are really, really  annoying (which, funnily enough, is why I run an adblocker).

1 Like

I tried logging in and out of Youtube - video playback is still disabled.

Also tried the filters shown in the site that you linked - no good.

I’ve now saved all my subscriptions as favourites in Brave and that works OK.

I use Brave, for fossebook.

The bizarrest thing is that I settled on Chrome for YouTube because of the PocketTube extension, yet am using adblockers with impunity. So far.

I’m just trying Brave which looks interesting - might have to be my main browser.

Certainly at present with both Brave and Firefox logged into YT Brave plays the videos and Firefox does not (although I haven’t tried clearing cookies in FF).

I really like Brave.
Most of the Chrome extensions seems to work with Brave as does the Chrome flags.
Brave also has TOR built in which I find useful.

1 Like

This is me as well - I find YouTube more entertaining than almost all TV channels and there is an endless variety of things to watch. I also quite like the “home made” aspect of many channels, as opposed to the slick nonsense of conventional TV.

I pay for YouTube Premium and (for me at least) it’s well worth it. I have Apple TV and Disney but watch them a lot less than YouTube. BBC ITV etc I have pretty much given up on.

1 Like

I get the message occasionally. I usually find if I click away from the site and then try again I get in. And I have Adblock.

Update on the Adblockers v Google war:

I too got blocked by YouTube so got rid of my then-current adblocker, but I replaced it with AdGuard AdBlocker 4.2.209 (for Chrome), and I always have Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.6.13 going, and YouTube hasn’t bothered me since.

Thanks - I’ve just installed the AdGuard AdBlocker for Chrome and it seems to work OK.

1 Like

So it was a test.

Interesting. I’ve also installed AdLock - mentioned in the article - as a backup, but i continue to have no problem with YT and haven’t seen any warning.

If it was a test, then maybe I won’t. I’m sure there will be ways round it if I do :wink: